fuel leak help - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
fuel leak help

1998 12 valve 2500 2wd. I still cant get my sig to accept my info. Alright so my fuel leak from the filter housing finally killed the starter so now it needs to get taken care of. I know (at least I think I do) where it's coming from but I don't know how to assess it. The top of the fuel filter housing is wet from diesel. The hard line that goes to the IP is dry, the hard line that comes from the injectors around cylinder 6 is wet at the banjo bolt. And the retaining nut for the filter lower housing is wet. I believe the line from the injectors is a fuel return line if I'm not mistaken but correct me if I'm wrong. How would one fix that? New washers for the line? Where would I get them? Also if it is leaking from the retaining nut for the lower housing, how would one fix that as well? I'll try and post pictures later as I'm currently on the way to a MLB game lol. Thank you in advanced guys

1998 qclb 12v 2wd auto. All stock plus exhaust. Finally cut the tamper bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,516 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Our filter heads are famous for cracking and leaking. The banjo bolt gaskets don't normally just all of a sudden start leaking. The center bolt is known to break but that normally allows the whole filter bowl to drop. It is a PITA to remove and replace, but it can be done. Genos used to sell a '96 type for a screw on filter but they no longer show it. I'd be searching out someone who has switched to a FASS or is parting out his engine.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,516 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcummins98 View Post
New washers for the line? Where would I get them? Also if it is leaking from the retaining nut for the lower housing, how would one fix that as well?
Should have answered the questions. Quickserve has the part numbers for the banjo bolt gaskets. The small o-ring that comes with the filter and has to be installed on the filter housing neck is what keeps the retaining nut from leaking.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
I'll definitely have to give that a look. I believe that little o ring is good cause I changed all that when the turbo went. I used the magic of photo editing to show where it's wet or seems to be coming from. Red and green are wet and are the possible sources. Blue us dry as can be. If it's the seal on the nut then that could explain why the whole top of the housing is wet and drips onto the starter. But if it's only the small drain line and banjo bolt (red) it should be contained to on of the small pie piece sections of the housing. If the housing is bad I'll check the 98 12 valve at wrench apart and see if it's good or find a kit for the 96 style housing. I would just upgrade to a new system like a Fass but that's a little more than my wallet can handle right now

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
There we go I got it uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-27-10-04-49_1506524711396.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	705105  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode