nv4500 problems - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Armchair Mechanic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Most dodge dealers keep the synotorque in stock. Just give them the molar number I posted earlier and they can get it either way. It's expensive but worth the pain of replacing syncros if you use the wrong stuff. I've seen the aftermath of having amsoil in these transmissions for a relatively short amount of time. Not worth the lower cost or availability of other "equivalent" oils

1996 2500 ECLB, NV4500, 4X4
Engine: 24 Valve P-Pump Swapped,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Adj. Timing Gear @ 20*, Haisley L19 studs, DAP 3 Piece Mani, Fluidampr, Southbend DD3250, 5" Exhaust+FTE Resonator
Air: HE351VE w/ Banshee Controller
Fuel: 215HP P7100, Infinite Performance 6x11 VCO, Scheid Conversion Lines, PDD 055s, AirDog II 165, Dual Feed, #0 plate, 4K GSK
Suspension: Thuren 3" Coils, Thuren Sway Bar, DOR Track Bar, DOR Shackle Flip, DOR Extreme Bent Long Arms, Synergy Steering, Fox 2.0 IFPs, Yukon Hub Conversion, Dynatrac BJs, 37x12.5x17 Toyo M/T's on H2s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinl517 View Post
its side to side and up and down but not in and out. I can move it all the way to the edges of the collar though. as far as the syntorque goes I've done a lot of looking around and it seems like castrol discontinued it as you can't even find it on their website directly let alone anywhere else. I know you can get the gm equivalent at dealerships but from as much looking around as I've done people recommended amsoil or gm mostly.

That much side play might have something to do with a bad pilot bearing between the input and the main shaft. Or a broken main shaft. Which would explain the hard shifting. Ask me how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one owner '96 eclb dump flatbed. truck and owner are both computer illiterate.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
hoping to get some time this weekend to tear this sucker down and get abetter idea of whats wrong. wiggling the input shaft with the top cover off I can definitely see a lot of movement which has me thinking it's a bearing issue. shopping around it seems like I can get a bearings,synchros,seals rebuild kit for about $160, or I can also get all that plus an updated fully splined mainshaft for $320. Wondering if it's with the extra coin considering I already has an upgraded 5th gear nut

96 12 valve nv4500 swap with updated mainshaft, 1 3/8 input shaft, valair dual disk clutch, 2wd, 0 fuel plate, adjustable boost elbow, kdp fix, pillar gauges, fass 125 w/ 1 bolt sump, 60lb valve springs, 4k gov springs, arp head studs, 180 P pump slightly turned up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,520 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Any "upgraded" nut is a half-azzed fix. A fully splined shaft is a good investment.
hookit likes this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode