97 dodge ram 2500 rear brake retrofit - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,558 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodTLG View Post

The truck has no problem stopping, it just doesn't feel anything similar. you press the pedal and its hard, but nothing happens. you press harder and harder and then it slows down gradually. in a panic stop situation, it might lock one tire. no telling which one. could be front left and dart to the left, could be rear right and try to spin.

The hydroboost immediately stops assisting if the engine is off, I thought there would be some sort of accumulator .......
Perhaps you need a different brake material. One size doesn't fit all.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosga...rakeUtopia.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosga...ttersGuide.pdf

There is an accumulator, it sits on top of the unit. The originals are blue.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
RamCumminsRob (09-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Perhaps you need a different brake material. One size doesn't fit all.
Thats some good reading. my dad always used semi-metallic pads while I was growing up, I've usually always gone for a wagner thermoquiet or similar ceramic pad, they work great in my cars but the trucks are definitely a lot heavier, and perhaps need the more aggressive semi-met material.

I'll check into that sometime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
There is an accumulator, it sits on top of the unit. The originals are blue.
Mine is indeed blue. Which likely means its 250k+ of braking, most towing a horse trailer before I bought the truck. from what I just looked up about it, it is a bit of a chore to replace, and seems difficult to locate replacements, most parts places only carry the entire booster unit at $350ish.

I also did some reading after posting this and it says the hydroboost units are very particular about power steering fluid, and flushing out the old is a good idea, and they specifically said not to use ATF, there is a different MS-5931 spec that there was a TSB to only use that kind with hydroboost.

I don't know if there is any merit to that fluid debate, but that is one thing I have not done any service to since buying this truck, so that needs to get done either way, maybe that'll free up the accumulator?

Red Truck: 97 2500 4x4 ECLB 250k-ish, mostly stock.
Purple Truck: 01 1500 4x4 ECSB 12v Conversion, has all the 1996 3/4 ton stuff besides the body at this point.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,558 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Flushing the power steering won't hurt and will probably help. I use Redline synthetic. The "turkey baster" method involves sucking as much fluid out as you can refill with new, start it up and cycle the steering. Repeating the procedure about 7 times will pretty much leave you with new fluid. Or if you have a helper and are fast your can disconnect one line, then pump the fluid out while refilling at the same time. Either way plan on using 4 to 6 qts.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
Speedfrak78 (10-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I've been running around atf +4 in my powersteering system for years and about 100,000. The Saginaw powersteering pumps in these trucks are pretty tough.

If I ever to get the hydrobooster off the shelf in my garage in my truck, I will put the correct fluid in there.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode