NV4500 Help!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
  • 3 Post By GAmes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV4500 Help!!

So i have a 95 with the nv4500 in it and last month had a problem with the old trans needless to say i needed a new one. so i bought a new transmission, well now my problem is that i have no clutch pedal i have bought a new master and slave cylinder and everything inside the tranny is new except the flywheel. i can start truck in gear but all it does is lurch forward while running it wont go into any gear i have bled the slave and master cylinder multiple times pulled this transmission apart about 100 times since i put it in a couple weeks ago any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,472 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
even though i usually don't respond to posts with run on sentences i tried to work my way thru yours did you replace the pilot bearing could be a bushing or damage it when installing the trans and did you possibly install the clutch fork end for end backward
jojosdad, dd453ford and Stox225 like this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
What clutch is in the truck? Southbends need an extra spacer under the pivot ball to disengage properly (though they'll usually still disengage enough to shift without it).. Clutch fork backward is certainly a possible cause.
I'm guessing you replaced the hydraulics because of this? (kinda eliminates both of them being faulty)
How does the pedal feel?

'94 SC 4x4 Dually flatdeck, ~500hp, 67mm HE351VE
'93 XCLB Auto 4x4, '92 XCLB Auto 4x4 (Dads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7man View Post
Southbends need an extra spacer under the pivot ball to disengage properly....
I've never heard that. No extra spacer under the pivot ball on this SBC, or the one I used with my NV4500.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I just installed the 13125OFE 2 weeks ago, there was an extra washer about .100" thick, with very clear instructions it HAD to be under the pivot ball.. I think the first one I had may not have had that spacer.. I don't really see how it would make a difference, the clutch is hydraulic and if you move one side out the other side will just go in..

'94 SC 4x4 Dually flatdeck, ~500hp, 67mm HE351VE
'93 XCLB Auto 4x4, '92 XCLB Auto 4x4 (Dads)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Diesel Head

But it will only go in a set amount so if the pivot ball is extended out too far the release bearing will stay in contact with the PP fingers. On the other hand, if the pivot ball isn't extended far enough the rod from the slave might not travel far enough to completely disengage the clutch. I know there is a washer under my pivot ball, but I'm pretty sure it is OEM. The FSM shows a "coned washer". I couldn't find anything in the installation instructions about another washer.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 AM
The 10th Man

Location: 12 days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Is the clutch fork installed correctly? It didn't fall off the pivot ball while stabbing the transmission?

Remove the hydrualics and poke your finger in there, you should be able to feel a cupped surface where the slave rod contacts, it should be about 1.5" into the transmissions. Also make sure the shift fork has free movement, the valair calls for 3/4" to 1" of free movement.

- '96 2500 ECLB
SB-DD
3.54's, Cooper AT3 265's, Studs @ 145ftlb, Custom GSK,
, #10 plate,
, AFC Stop-Bolt,
, OBA, OBP,
, Str box brace, SuperSport Headlights,

, couple gauges. 506hp/1080tq

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Hello , I'm currently experiencing the same issue. I was Wondering if anyone had figured out what the cause of this was.

I purchased a new transmission and had it installed by a shop. I picked the truck up and it had a very hard time going into first gear 😬 it eventually went in to gear and I got it home. Along the way I heard two distinct pops and tings while shifting.

After contacting the shop with very little help I'm hoping someone can help me here.

Thus far I have replaced the master slave cylinder kit purchased from Napa and installed. Same issue exist.

Thanks so much in advance!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Diesel Freak

Bleeding is interesting sometimes with the master cylinder facing down. Hard to get the air out. I imagine it's the same master cylinder on 12v as my 24v. I once drove the truck up a very steep inbankment to bleed the clutch. It worked great.

Some pivot balls might stick out a bit further than others without a spacer. If its short just a bit it might not disengage all the way. Everyone knows about the grind going into reverse. Shim yours accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode