d89 Presents: How Long Should I Run My Block Heater? - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntless89 View Post
I am making this a sticky due to popular request.

A lot has happened in the last year. To bring everyone up to speed, I didn't get my old engine (12v 5.9) done in time to do any thermal studies on it last winter. The truck ended up sitting most of the summer as well and I didn't get a chance to actually fire it up until mid-August. The cam failed almost immediately and trashed the cam tunnel. My options being what they were, I opted to start from scratch and build a P-pumped 6.7 12v. The CR blocks use only the thread-in style of block heater (also found on the 12v and 24v STORM blocks) and due to the internal geometry of the block casting, the freeze-plug style heaters are a no-go on the 6.7. I did choose to thread the coolant freeze plugs on the driver's side of the block, and there's a possibility I can get a second thread-in heater in one of those ports, but most likely I won't be able to retain dual heaters.

When I built the Hamilton 12v head for the original motor, I moved the custom temp sensor port out of the coolant tube and into the front of the head, close to the thermostat. This will eliminate the false-low readings, and because I'm using this 12v Hamilton head again on the new engine, I'll still be able to experiment with selectively blocking the vent hose like I was talking about to keep heat in the engine.

I've got most of the big pieces of this build, just waiting on a crank to get back from balancing and then I can start putting it together. I'm planning to have the engine done and in the truck by Thanksgiving. Even with the predictable amount of snafus, I should have plenty of time this winter to play with the thermal imager.
Kinda wondering IF the heated coolant ever heats up the oil to any significance ( very cold weather )

Id like to think ? wish it does , but i remember one time it was pretty ignorant out and i put my hand on the oil pan .... it was cold. lol.

carry on ...

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
The Uppity 12v Guy

Thanked 1,349 Times in 975 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntless89 View Post
I've got most of the big pieces of this build, just waiting on a crank to get back from balancing and then I can start putting it together. I'm planning to have the engine done and in the truck by Thanksgiving. Even with the predictable amount of snafus, I should have plenty of time this winter to play with the thermal imager.

It never ceases to amaze me how I manage to jinx myself every time I open my mouth. Snafu after snafu has resulted in the engine just getting set onto the mounts last weekend. Currently working on turbos and bending new injection lines. I also have a potential instrumentation headache and it'll be another couple weeks until I can fire it and break the cam in. It's still getting into the teens at night but it's normal to see 45-50+ during the day, so I don't know that I'll be able to produce any good thermal data this season. We'll see.

To answer your question, the warmed coolant never interacts with the oil until the engine is started. Sump temps will only get a few degrees above ambient (if that) from whatever thermal conduction can occur through the pan itself. Once the engine is started, heat immediately travels out of the coolant and into the oil through the oil cooler. It wasn't uncommon to see coolant temps drop ~30 degrees within the first minute of starting the engine.
CHarrison9612v likes this.

'95 2500 ECLB 4x4, 334k and paused due to epic transformation in progress.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for posting this information. As I will most likely NEVER plug my truck in here in Central Florida, it's good to read and understand this stuff. We do like to travel, especially when the seasons change in other parts of the country. This info may come in handy for me somewhere down the road. I wish you the best of luck on your build dauntless89.

Chris
1996 12v Ram 3500 CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode