Truck won't start - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't start

Hello I have a 96 12v 5 speed the other day it wouldn't crank even with a jump so I pull started it to and from work got a starter in my way home put a new starter on it and it still won't crank I have 12 volts at starter I ran cables right to the starter and it won't crank even when you cross the posts I tried another new starter and the same issue and now it won't even pull start please help I'm out of ideas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 PM
The 10th Man

Location: 12 days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When you measured 12V at the starter, did you have the starter engaged? Where did you have the probes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- '96 2500 ECLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SB-DD
3.54's, Cooper AT3 265's, Studs @ 150ftlb, Custom GSK,
, 055's, AFC Live,
, AFC Stop-Bolt,
, OBA, OBP,
, Str box brace, SuperSport Headlights,

, couple gauges. 506hp/1080tq

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I had positive on big starter post and negative on the starter case I thought maybe a bad ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm just confused the battery's are 6 months old it has a new starter I hook jumpers to another truck and try to bridge the starter with a screw driver and it won't even spin and now after pull starting it a few times to get to work it won't even start with a pull
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 AM
The 10th Man

Location: 12 days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Turn the key to the "start" position while measuring the voltage at the starter like you did. What you describe sounds like a bad connection somewhere. In order to pull start the engine, the FSS must be in the up position.

- '96 2500 ECLB
SB-DD
3.54's, Cooper AT3 265's, Studs @ 150ftlb, Custom GSK,
, 055's, AFC Live,
, AFC Stop-Bolt,
, OBA, OBP,
, Str box brace, SuperSport Headlights,

, couple gauges. 506hp/1080tq

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Diesel Head

I agree, based on the limited input, you have a bad connection at the battery or one at least one end of the major cable to the starter or to the engine/chassis ground.

As cowboy303 says, tie-wrap your FSS into the up position for pull starting.

The easy way to determine where the high resistance is in the cable:
hook up a voltmeter, positive on the battery, negative on the starter large post, monitor it while cranking. It should read less than half a volt.

Then hook up negative lead to battery, touch positive lead to clean metal on the starter housing, and monitor while attempting to crank. Again it should read less than half a volt.

The high resistance connection, especially if it is a cable lug, will often get very hot when cranking.

More details are in the "starting" section of the free factory service manual that you can download at the top of this forum.

97 2500HD Club Cab, 4x4, automatic. Isspro Gauges (great support!), Tork Tek OFV (great support!), Diamond Eye SS 4" exhaust (good product).
Chapin, SC or Avery, TX.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you I'll try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode