Advice before I start a cummins after 10 years? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Speedfrak78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Advice before I start a cummins after 10 years?

I just bought a 94 cummins truck. It hasn't ran in 10 years. The turbo is seized, but will start spraying ether in the turbo. It isn't picking up the old fuel so I planned on running a fuel line from a fresh can of fuel but I wondered if I should be doing something first before it "runs". I should probably change the oil and filter right? and make sure it has oil pressure right after start up. Does anyone have any advice on what else should happen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Diesel Head

It sounds as if you have already started it?

Ether is not a good idea in modern diesel engines. If you persist in using ether (or WD-40), at least ensure your intake grid heater is unplugged first.

If you intend to run it before replacing the turbo, remove the turbo and plug the oil feed line. You do not want it to start spinning and perhaps send shrapnel down your lines. Ensure your charge air lines are intact, no rodent holes in them and nests inside, or insect nests.

I would change the oil and filter. Change the fuel filter. Using a bucket of fuel for the lift pump to pull from is a good idea. I would probably add in 3 cans of ZDDP plus to the oil (and I would use Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck or Rotella T6), or use a break in oil like Joe Gibbs BR30 for the first hour or two of running. There are bound to be some rust pits that need smoothing over and wearing in.

When you install your new turbo, ensure the oil drain line is clean and open, no trash in it, and slopes continuously to the sump. Also ensure you oil the turbo before running it.

Unplug the FSS (fuel shutdown solenoid) or its relay and crank on the battery until you have oil pressure before firing it up (before initial start and before first start after turbo replacement. Do not crank more than 30 seconds at a time, and wait at least 2 minutes between cranks. It can take a while, so you will need a good battery charger and batteries.

Before putting the fuel tank in service, open it and clean it thoroughly. Either drop it down or lift the bed and clean it in place. You might plan on replacing all of your fuel lines.

Good luck. It will be interesting to see what the more experienced hands suggest.

97 2500HD Club Cab, 4x4, automatic. Isspro Gauges (great support!), Tork Tek OFV (great support!), Diamond Eye SS 4" exhaust (good product).
Chapin, SC or Avery, TX.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

This is great, thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Diesel Freak

Chang fuel filter and fire it up!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Diesel Freak

Oh and get a video!!!

2012 black RCLB G56 4X4 deletes efi by anarchy,s467.7 Pfeifer's performance,FPE, "The Handshaker"
99 green ECSB SOLD 5spd big air big fuel big power. "Go Green"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,111 Posts
Expect the fuel to have lost its power.

Start it, run it, change oil before to long.

1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. 37337 upgrade. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Diesel Head

How was it stored? I wouldn't even try firing a motor that sat that long before going through it thoroughly. If a valve was held open all this time, you could have severely rusted cylinders. If you crank it like that you'll score a cylinder and mess up rings. I went to look at a mid 70's chevy convertible that had been in dry storage, and not run, since the early 90s. The owner decided to get it running before I came. I saw the smoke from blocks away. ..he told me he put a new battery in it and fresh gas and it started after a few minutes of "hard" cranking. The thing was bone dry sitting 20+ years. A few shots of oil probably would have saved the motor.

If it was me, pull injectors and spray penetrating oil in the cylinders, soak the injectors with it. Let them sit 24 hrs. While they are soaking pull valve covers check for rust, penetrating oil if its rusty . Clean fuel filter pre screen, new fuel filter. Pull the thermostat. Pull the turbo of if it's seized. New oil and filter. After 24hrs, try turning enine by hand, keep spraying penetrating oil in cylinders until I can turn it by hand. Once I can turn by hand, clean injectors and reinstall. Make sure FSS of off, crank over to get oil pressure up and prelube motor. Then try starting it.
DanG144 likes this.

'96 2500 ECLB, 117K, Auto, 4x4, 3.54LSD, 285/75/16 nitto terra grapplers. stock..for now
'95 2500 RCLB, 178K, 4x4 , NV4500, 4.10LSD, 4" TBE, BHAF, pyro gauge, messed with afc, 3rd gen alloys, 315/70/17 nitto trail grapplers..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, great tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode