Nv4500, brand new 4x4 conversion already leaking - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nv4500, brand new 4x4 conversion already leaking

Hey everybody, I signed up to this forum bc I know cummins are popular and get a lot of attention. I've got a 1 1/4 ton Chevy with a 6.5 5 speed. Hopefully someday I'll swap the 6.5 for a cummins. Anyways the truck is a 99 c3500HD that I converted to 4wd, installed a front Dana 70 and had a good mechanic convert the nv4500 to a 4x4. The HD only came as a 2 wheel drive. I've got about 3,000 miles on the rebuild and it seems that my input seal is leaking. Got all new quality parts, I'm using correct gear oil and no I didn't overfill it. Pilot bushing is brand new etc. mechanic says that sometimes you just get a bad seal. Just looking for some more suggestions on why this seal failed so quick. I'm pulling the transmission tomorrow. Excuse me for coming to a cummins site with a Chevy, but I see a lot of good advice on these forums compared to just regular Chevy diesel forums. And also the nv4500 is found behind a cummins also. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Or bad seal install

I love pigs, they turn vegetables in to Bacon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, very possible. I should also add that the trans vent isn't clogged. Annnnnd I only noticed this leak after I took it on the highway for the first time for about an hour at 70 mph. 70 is about all I wanna go since the diff has 5.13s. So I'm honestly not sure if it was leaking before the highway or not. If it was it wasn't for very long because I am constantly checking everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Diesel Head

There are posts here regarding filling (of course I read them after). I filled to the bottom of the hole. It's suppose to be lower than the threads otherwise it leaks (not sure of how much lower). My passenger side had a small slow leak for about 4 months until the excess leaked out.

98-4x4 5spd
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

So.... Pulled the transmission. Took me less than 1 1/2 hrs by myself, pretty good I thought. The input seal looks fine as far as my human eye can tell. Only thing I notice was the oiler hole at the top of the input plate was half blocked by the red sealer the mechanic used and the front of the bearing which points towards the clutch had some buildup on it. This buildup was black and very very fine. Kind of sludgey looking. Was the oiler not doing a sufficient job due to the sealant blockage? Does this buildup mean the bearing was wearing? Maybe the seal got a bit more warm than it should've? I feel as though I should replace the bearing, seal and make sure when it gets put back together that the oiler doesn't get blocked.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpf207 View Post
So.... Pulled the transmission. Took me less than 1 1/2 hrs by myself, pretty good I thought. The input seal looks fine as far as my human eye can tell. Only thing I notice was the oiler hole at the top of the input plate was half blocked by the red sealer the mechanic used and the front of the bearing which points towards the clutch had some buildup on it. This buildup was black and very very fine. Kind of sludgey looking. Was the oiler not doing a sufficient job due to the sealant blockage? Does this buildup mean the bearing was wearing? Maybe the seal got a bit more warm than it should've? I feel as though I should replace the bearing, seal and make sure when it gets put back together that the oiler doesn't get blocked.
that can cause it. as for the bearing if you replace it you should check the end play on the main shaft.

94 5sp 4x4 4x13x155 2x4 to 4x4 converson.ford dana 60 lockout hubconv. 91.5 gas to 6bt conv. 2x4 to 4x4 conv.5x12x155 16deg timming fass 95 nv4500 conv p pump conv. 05 fass95 d60 lockout hub conv ats conv BD trans controller
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

What if I check end play at the input shaft once it's all together? Would that be doing the same thing as checking the end play at the output of the mainshaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode