Finally: How to rebuild your 47/48re - Page 5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Glad people are still getting value out of this thread.

As an update, almost 3 years later the tranny is still operating flawlessly.

Y'all say 'redneck' like its a bad thing
1999 3500 4wd auto ext cab- JUNKYARD FREE SPIN CONVERSION NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS
1997 F350 crew 7.3 Powerstroke- modded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXY View Post
too tight here and it will slam into reverse
correct me if I am reading this wrong...

first, the springs can be orientated in fashion that allows
(1) use of more springs
(2) or add 1 spring totaling 10, but grouped in pairs

these additions are for a faster / firmer 1-2 up shift ? correct ?

does the addition of springs cause a harsh reverse engagement as well ?

I was under the impression that an additional spring was a good thing, but I would not want a harsh reverse engagement ???

02 Sport / 47re / 4" MBRP TBE / DAP 75hp sticks/ HX35W / GDP FUEL BOSS / DDRP02 / 3rd gen brakes / 4th gen steering / 2" Thuren / MC ARMS / 5100's /285/75/17
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:51 PM
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,415 Posts
Great job. The only real issue is not addressing input shaft end play. It is checked before removing or disassemble of trans. It gives you a ideal of wear in thrust washers, ect. Try and reduce end play by using thicker spacer between input and intermediate shaft. Also the spacer on output shaft will affect. Thickness of OD spacer riding on OD piston is for adjusting OD direct clutch release.

2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
DanG144 (01-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
The gear train thrust washers should always be replaced, especially in the 48RE. Gear train end play is very important and you'll be loose if you reuse the thrust washers. Sonnax makes shims to tighten the gear train on the 46's and 47's, but not the 48's.

The forward clutch Belleville spring (the plate that he couldn't remember the name of...) should always be replaced at overhaul.

Also, the write up says to install the low roller clutch dry. You'll definitely want to lube it (and the OD roller clutch, also) with ATF before you install it. They both should also be replaced at overhaul.

It's also very important to replace the direct drum bushing at overhaul. This bushing locates the drum on the stator support. Any unnecessary play here and you can run into sealing ring problems and and up leaking direct (3rd gear and reverse) oil.

I'm not being critical here. Heck, most guys wouldn't even attempt to go into their transmission... Hat's off for that...! I'm just trying to add a few pointers...

2000 Ram 2500, Quad, SB, 4x4, 24V...SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to Dynamic For This Useful Post:
DanG144 (01-11-2016)
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Is there a way to remove overdrive or lockuyp control from the ecm? I have a 98 12 valve with a 47 re and I'm eleminating as much ecm/electronic control as possible.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Cummins Fan

Thank You Thank You!!!
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls32500cummins View Post
Is there a way to remove overdrive or lockuyp control from the ecm? I have a 98 12 valve with a 47 re and I'm eleminating as much ecm/electronic control as possible.
If you really want to you would need to back down to a 47rh, this would take the OSS input out. currently the tranny speed is measured by the OSS, which inputs to ecm, then ecm also take TPS, VSS, Tach signals along with pressure and temps from vb. Ecm then send info back to gov solenoid and modulates pressure.
In the RH version, the gov press modulation is performed by a mechanical fly weight ( gov) mounted on the overdrive output shaft. Both the RE and RH use same OD and LU solenoids, just that the electrical connection is different, the RH connector is smaller as it only controls the solenoids.

96 2wd eclb 47re stock 434,000 miles - new oil pmp, kdp, Fluid damper, curt 24k 5th whl. Twin Electric Fans, Glowshift Gauge, 2004 Alum 17 wheels, continuous maintenance
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
This is a fine thread, well done and informative; But To help out us home rebuilders this you tube video series is detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXq...bb0QKnP2Owo3nA

I just wish he had info on setting up OD spacer and intermediate shaft end play.

96 2wd eclb 47re stock 434,000 miles - new oil pmp, kdp, Fluid damper, curt 24k 5th whl. Twin Electric Fans, Glowshift Gauge, 2004 Alum 17 wheels, continuous maintenance
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleko17 View Post
I am going to try to bring this thread back to life. I tried to help a buddy do what we thought was a simple fix today. His truck is having trouble shifting into 4th, and overdrive. Quick searching pointed to a couple solenoids. That is what I tried to help with.

We dropped the pan and planned a quick swap of them. Once the pan was on the ground we found a spring about the diameter of a pencil, a little over an inch long, and when compressed it was just about a half inch.

Neither of us are transmission savvy. We searched for YouTube vidoes, photos, anything we could to possibly find where it belongs. We could only come up with one location that looked right. I couldn't find a photo to give a clear picture of the location, until now. We slid it over the piston type device.

Can anyone tell me what that thing does? Or where a spring about that size might go?

wll, the valve body is FULL of little springs, I'm sure that you figured out where the spring came from, check out this instructional video https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXq...bb0QKnP2Owo3nA
I think #6 is VB rebuild.

The Following User Says Thank You to rockin345 For This Useful Post:
mackleyb (01-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode