Finally: How to rebuild your 47/48re - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You're welcome everyone.. Did it hoping it would do just that, boost someones confidence.
I have about 800 in the rebuild, including the tranny fluid and break cleaner which was 120 bucks itself. Note that from previous work, it already had a shift kit in the valve body, a GM gov press solenoid upgrade, and I reused my converter which is a single disk billet. I would have liked to do a new converter, but it just wasnt in the funding.

Baxy is right on the 48RE internals. I actually think its a 48RE trans with a 47RE valve body in it.. My OD unit was also full of single sided, 48RE OD Direct frictions.

And yeah, stock shafts.

Y'all say 'redneck' like its a bad thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 3500 4wd auto ext cab- JUNKYARD FREE SPIN CONVERSION
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS

1997 F350 crew 7.3 Powerstroke- modded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm looking at building my trans sometime this summer hopefully,( depending on funds available lol), but this is by far one of, if not the best write ups I've seen on this forum.

My dad owned a transmission shop for 20 years ( sold in 2009) and is now a diesel mechanic for a drilling company, so I grew up in a mechanics world. Fortuantely for me, this will help me out a TON on savin some cash too. I've never done a rebuild totally on my own, but helped him tear down and rebuild several transmissions over the years. For someone who's never been through an AT before, you did a heck of a job man! Takes a lot of guts and mechanical ability to just jump in to a job like this. Nice work,and thanks again the awesome write up!

06 2500,4x4,AFE Stage II,Striker II,2"HBS levelling kit,turbo silencer & muffler MIA,33/12.5/R20 Toyo Mt's, 20X10 Fuel Hostages...
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Thanks! Rebuilding the overdrive unit last year is was gave me the balls to do it. Having the shop manual is still a must! Couldn't have done it without it

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Awesome write up! Just used this and the blessed ATSG book to go through my trans. The only issue I had found was the intermediate shaft and OD piston retainer became welded together. Ordered a new intermediate, piston retainer and reverse drum to be safe. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

If anyone decides to do this and has issues with getting the intermidiate out PM me for my cell number and I'll walk you through it as Bill from DTT did for me. BTW Bill rocks! Nice guy and walked me through the issue while working on the CNC machine. Lol

05 Laramie Dually Tuckin 22's Smarty|Hellman|Flux|DTT|Sonnax|Nitto|Autometer|FTI |Crazy Carl's
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Awesome write up! Just used this and the blessed ATSG book to go through my trans.
Thanks, and the ATSG book is good.. I found the shop manual better, but the ATSG had some information that was lacking in the shop manual.

Quote:
The only issue I had found was the intermediate shaft and OD piston retainer became welded together.
LOL.. WTF!

NO MORE UNIT BEARINGS

post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
Thanks, and the ATSG book is good.. I found the shop manual better, but the ATSG had some information that was lacking in the shop manual.

LOL.. WTF!

I hope this doesnt come out sounding dumb, but what is the ATSG book? Where is the best place to get one, and a shop manual? My transmission took the big dump the other day too.

99 3500 QCLB 4x4, Blacked out, Non-53 block, Per4manceinnovations Auto, 3.55s, Edge JWA HOT, RV275s, AFE, Timbo APPS, IssPro boost-pyro-fuel, 5" RSD straight pipe, AD165
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveNine View Post
I hope this doesnt come out sounding dumb, but what is the ATSG book? Where is the best place to get one, and a shop manual? My transmission took the big dump the other day too.
automatic transmission service guide (or group)... they make lots of manuals with specs on stacking out transmissions.
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,212 Times in 944 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
ebay, google

Two second gens with lots of mods and a 3rd gen just getting started
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeveman View Post
automatic transmission service guide (or group)... they make lots of manuals with specs on stacking out transmissions.
Thank you

99 3500 QCLB 4x4, Blacked out, Non-53 block, Per4manceinnovations Auto, 3.55s, Edge JWA HOT, RV275s, AFE, Timbo APPS, IssPro boost-pyro-fuel, 5" RSD straight pipe, AD165
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Diesel Freak

Hey Boosted...very nice job...and I say that from the perspective of just having done the same to my transmission after my torque converter crapped the bed. I had to pull everything apart as far as you did to make sure all was well with the internals and there wasn't any tc debris floating around.

Like most things, pulling the transmission apart is a piece of cake...remembering how to put it back together is the trick...and your writeup and pics helped a lot in confirming I was doing it right.

The clutches were in perfect shape and there was no hint of overheating. There was some very slight wear in the intermediate band so I'm going to replace that one, (perhaps with a stock 48re unit), and I'll install the soft seals that came wth my transgo kit.

There was some crap in the valve body so that had to be taken apart and stripped...unfortunately, I didnt take pics of the teardown and my careful organizing of the springs went to hell when the container everything was in was knocked over....by me of course.

Transgo is going to send me the instructions on where their springs go so with that info, I should be alright.

Hint for those doing this; take pics...or better yet, just do a video. Keep the camera running and if you wish to share, you can edit it later but most importantly, you'll know how the damned thing fits back together.

Again, nicely done. Thanks.

'00 Quad Cummins 4x4 Shortbox, Was Silver. From AZ to AB. 50hp Edge Jammers, Adrenaline w/ Pulse, Raptor, Dodge Steering Stabilizer, Luke's Link, Leer tonneau, BFG T/A's, Isspro FPG, Transgo, FAILED DTT
billet single
, Excellent Diamond T Low Stall
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Diesel Head

This should BE STUCK !!!!!! I have done 3 727's TF's. With a book and very mechanically inclined......This is a very good process and writeup. Thats what takes a lot of time..Thanks for sharing.

.02 Cummins HO / 6spd / 4x4 / LBQC / Edge JWA / BD /200* T-Stat / Homemade HIGHIDLE /
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Talking Freakin fantastic!!!!

The best post I have ever seen!!!!!
That was an awesome post!!
I could now do a tranny rebuild!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

2001 ECLB, 4x4 Full On Suncoast, SXVP44, Blue FMS, Silencer Ring MIA, Banks 4" Power Elbow, 4" downpipe and 4" MBRP Duals 5" tips, FASS ip, BD low fuel indicator. In process of gathering upgrades to install tttriples!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode