47RH Manual Torque Convertor Lock-up switch - NC - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Performance Tech articles dealing with gaining power from the 2nd gen 12V engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
47RH Manual Torque Convertor Lock-up switch - NC

First let me say I am no expert at this, but this is information and instructions I have seen posted throughout other forums.

There are 2 (two) options you have between switches; a simple on/off toggle switch or a 3 (three) position toggle switch.

First off you will need to find PIN 54 and the wire attached to it (orange w/ black tracer). This pin/wire is located in the PCM connector located behind the air filter box on the passenger side of the firewall. Now heres were the 2 (two) options come in for the switch.

First is to use a simple on/off toggle switch and ground the wire w/o cutting it. This allows you to either manually lock the TCC or to let the PCM handle it.

Your second option for the switch is to use a single pole 3 (three) position toggle switch. To use this switch you cut the wire attached to PIN 54 of the PCM, attach the trans. end to the center pole, attach a ground wire to one of the outside poles, and attach the PCM end of the wire to the other outside pole. It is suggested to use different colored wires when you cut the wire going to PIN 54, so that when extending them into the cab you won't get them confused.

Nathan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndurbin For This Useful Post:
michael thorn (05-29-2011), tugalug (06-06-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Diesel Head

Excellent info. To carry it just a little farther, with the RE tranny there is a jumper that is required where the lock-up relay is in the power distribution box. Also, with the '96 for a lock-up switch to work properly the PCM needs to be re-flashed. If you don't get the flash, the tranny will go into limp mode. The way I know this is mine just goes into limp.
Tom

Contact me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM

what is the advantage to useing a 3 postion switch?

1995 3500 black dually, 36 000 kms!, #5 plate, boost elbow, 3000 gsk, k&n intake and filter, 3" straight pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Forces the TC to either stay locked, unlocked, or let the trucks computer control it. On/off switch just forces it to stay locked or let the computer handle it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Makes sense, thanks.

1995 3500 black dually, 36 000 kms!, #5 plate, boost elbow, 3000 gsk, k&n intake and filter, 3" straight pipe.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Cummins Nut

I have been reading about this mod. on another Forum and have been thinking about doing this,is there anything else needed besides this three pole switch? Seems simple enough and I love how my truck pulls in Od when the converter locks up and I'm thinking the truck would be much quicker if the converter locked sooner, in secound gear say? I'm a bit worried this might spell the end of this trans though,148000 miles and counting ??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Just some wire and the switch.

Locking up in 2nd really isn't a good idea on a stock trans., 3rd is ok tho. You don't really want to be shifting when locked up either, take about a rough shift, it'll jar ya around pretty good.

The main benefit from it is not acceleration, it's cruising and slowing down where it benefits the most. Forcing the TC to stay locked when slowing down and towing helps provide more braking power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode