Best Oil To use and Additives - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:36 AM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Thanked 1,338 Times in 966 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ZDDP additive. Plenty to choose from.

'95 2500 ECLB 4x4, 334k and paused due to epic transformation in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 AM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntless89 View Post
ZDDP additive. Plenty to choose from.
I guess that's why Will and Todd choose to put ZDDP in their oils including their Synthetic.

I love it. Do you like the Power Driven oils?

95 3500 auto, bhaf, 4k, kdp, gauges, air bags, fuel htr delete, 33"s, dually spacers, 4.10 lim slip, 2" level, silicone hoses, tps delete, tcc switch
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:39 PM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Garage
I like that oil a lot. I have UOA reports on my desk from 8 different test vehicles that all showed a significant decreasing trend in wear metals after switching to it from CK-4 oils. When my engine goes back together, I'm going to pull samples at regular intervals (after break-in), just keep the oil topped off, and see how long it lasts until the TBN drops below 3. It'll be a fresh engine so wear metals and oil consumption will be higher than normal, at least over the first few samples, but I'm going to beat on it pretty hard the first 500 miles to seat the rings as best I can before the first oil change.

When I first switched to it on my stock engine shortly after the oil came out (with 300-ish k), it actually changed the sound of the engine. Not only that, but to such a degree my wife noticed and said out loud that the engine sounded different. This is coming from a lady who (despite many other amazing qualities) will drive a car around for 6 months without noticing the brakes doing the old metal-on-metal routine.

The sub-optimal thing with additive bottles in an over the counter oil is that you don't know how much actual concentration is right without sending in a sample of mixed oil. Then, how do you know the additive was completely homogenized into the oil? Often times the instructions on the bottle will have you over-dose it, ZDDP concentration is a diminishing returns scenario, and I have heard (from chemical engineers) that too much can be harmful, though I haven't done my own research on the matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Diesel Freak

Anybody have experience with schaefer, cenpeco, Or brad Penn?
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:52 AM
Posting Suspended

I am a fan of Schaeffers. Interested to hear others opinions. I switching to Schaeffer's or PDD.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Garage
I ran it for what turned out to be a short term OCI. I don't have any specific reason to doubt the oil, and I don't have any analysis results with it.

My only other thought on them past that is after I drained the Schaeffer's and went to something else, I learned of how they use a 4-ball wear test. I wouldn't have a problem with that if they were honest about the part where that testing apparatus is only relevant to extreme pressure (as in gearboxes, differentials), but they pitch it as also relevant to motor oil, which it simply isn't. There's always a little bit of "other-than-truth" in marketing but I find this pretty egregious. Though I have ethical issues supporting companies that let the marketeers run the show, the product itself is probably perfectly fine.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,555 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntless89 View Post
There's always a little bit of "other-than-truth" in marketing but I find this pretty egregious. Though I have ethical issues supporting companies that let the marketeers run the show, the product itself is probably perfectly fine.
Also true of their fuel additive. "The engineering used to formulate ULSD strips away beneficial lubricity; this can cause fuel system wear and lead to clogged injectors and filters" No mention that lubricity agents are added back in before the fuel is dispensed at the pump. Clogged injectors and filters......really?

https://www.schaefferoil.com/fuel-additives.html

At least they finally removed the myth from their advertising that sulfur is a lubricant in diesel as lead is in gasoline. Their lack of credibility keeps me from even considering buying their products.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Posting Suspended

GAmes - Care to expand on sulfer in diesel not being a lubricant? Did some searching and everything I am finding says it indeed helps increase lubrication.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nSaEvAyL View Post
GAmes - Care to expand on sulfer in diesel not being a lubricant? Did some searching and everything I am finding says it indeed helps increase lubrication.
Really? Did you sleep through all your high school science classes? Sulfur is a corrosive and when burned it is a poison. There are some greases used in heavy machinery that incorporate sulfur in the mix. The machinery has sacrificial metal on the bearing surfaces that serve as lubrication while the sulfur erodes it away.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSaEvAyL View Post
Sulfer is not a lubricant. When it burns its a poison. The process of removing sulfur from diesel fuel also removes some of the lubricating properties.
Then thet add more lubricants to the fuel.

If there was a problem with the fuel not lubricating we would have masses of old trucks losing fuel pumps and injectors.

My neighbors cat 3406B has been chugging for over a million miles since before the 5.9 was even designed. Original fuel pump.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Posting Suspended

GAmes, first off, chill out. No need to come out of the gates swinging. You and I have been down this road before. Chill. Let me rephrase my question before you pop a head gasket. The reading I did said that in the process of removing sulfer from diesel there are also essential naturally occurring lubricants that get removed as well. That ULSD may have less lubrication than the previous pre 2006, I believe was the year, diesel fuel.

Here is what I read, Published by: North Dakota State University

"However, the process used to reduce the sulfur content in diesel also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties, resulting in increased wear on the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system.”

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsrel...s-lubrication/
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Diesel Head

There is nothing there that suggests that sulfur is a lubricant. "the process used to reduce the sulfur content in diesel also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties" is a true statement. What they fail to note, just as Schaeffer does, is point out that those lubricity agents are added back into the diesel prior to it being sold to the consumer. "In order to ensure a proper lubricity, lubricity additives are often injected to the fuel at the distribution sites of the key ULSD refiners and producers and prior to sale to the reseller or wholesaler. "
You ask, why do they say "often" instead of always? It is because even after the removal of sulfur the fuel might still be up to par. "Following exhaustive field and laboratory test data, in 2005, a lubricity standard was introduced into the existing ASTM D975 calling for a maximum wear scar of 520 microns as determined by the newly established ASTM D6751 HFRR test method."
https://fueloilnews.com/2010/03/04/t...-of-lubricity/

The article you presented is nothing more than a pitch for biodiesel.

I had to laugh at one of the bullets. " Other diesel fuel lubricating additives are readily available, but are expensive if added at the manufacturers’ recommended rates." Biodiesel at the pump costs less than straight #2 only because of government subsidies. I use it when I find it to get some of my taxes back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode