Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Pdd 5x12s with k27 n no fuel plate?

10K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  gun32gtr 
#1 ·
Any one try this combo? I am currently not running a fuel plate in my 95 dodge and have ordered the aforementioned items from PDD. Will my truck be happy set up like this egt wise? Any guesstimates on power it might make?

#2 ·
Probably be a little warm on the egt side. Hp wise some where in the 300hp range. If I were u I would put a set of 4k Gov springs in it to while ur at it and bump the timing up to. Also work on a AFC also.

#3 ·
I would consider a fuel plate. I know some don't and have fun. At least with the fuel plate you will be able to control EGT's if you don't want to rely on your right foot.

Reactions: gun32gtr and GAmes
#4 ·
You don't need to worry. Your egt will be fine. 5x12's aren't that big and your pump is small on a 95. Have fun and break stuff so you can have a great weekend getting greasy and drinking beer

#5 ·
I’m not someone that worries about egts much, but that setup could get much warmer than a lot are comfortable with. I have run 5x12s and a little 160hp pump with a 62/65/12 turbo, and could pin a 1600 egt gauge when running without a plate. If you’re comfortable with that, no problem. Otherwise, I’d use a plate.

I’ve made ~750hp with a 160hp pump that had a plate in it, a 400hp build without one doesn’t make much sense to me.

#6 ·
EGT is all about the driver comfort level until you start hitting high numbers like 2k.

I pulled with 5x18 and an Aurora 5000 for years. Temps would always be at 1600 - 1800 up passes and 12-1300 down the road.

I have seen 12v take some serious heat. To me hitting 1600 for a short sprint is nothing to worry about.

But like the above post, everyone has different opinions

#12 ·
Do some searching on custom profiling your own plate. It takes machinist dye and some time to do it. But once you have a plate custom profiled to match your build and useage, it’s nice to set it and forget it.

#9 ·
Best is purely an opinion, and it might not agree with yours. I towed with an 11 plate for years, then found a custom grind at a local pump shop that is much more friendly with an otherwise stock engine. It pushed my HP from 215 at the flywheel to 313 at the rear wheels. For sure you don't want stock, but there are good things said about a 10, a 100 and a zero. It all depends on your driving habits and what you expect from the truck when you are not hooked to a trailer. Each one has a different profile for when fuel is added and when it is maxed out. There is also timing adjustments to consider. You could take the expensive/easy way out and get an AFC live, adjust it to where you want it, then have a dash ornament.

Reactions: Drothgeb
#10 ·
I'm currently running this combination with 17 deg of timing and the 5x12's can certainly drive the system to EGTs that are out of my comfort zone. I do actually have a AFC Live and it's very effective at limiting top-end fuel to whereever I want; basically I can choose my max EGT and set it relatively easily. I wouldn't want to run this setup without a fuel plate. I'll be switching up my turbo setup here before too long and am pretty happy that I'll be able to dial in the fueling, relatively easily, without opening up the AFC.

Hope this is useful!

#14 ·
No. The stock exhaust size will flow just fine to over 400 HP. When my stocker burned out the 4 inch MBRP didn't change my EGTs, at least not enough to read on the gauge.

#16 ·
That information has been posted dozens of times. A little time to do some research will save you hours while waiting for someone to answer your questions.

#17 ·
I have a 160 pump and need new injectors. I would like somewere around 275-350 hp. Should i get 5x12s? Friend of mine said it will run cooler with more fuel at less rack travel; if that makes any sense.

#19 ·
The 5x12s will get you a shorter injection window but at that power level it is debatable on any real world affects.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Relative to smaller nozzles, larger nozzles deliver a given amount of fuel in a shorter duration. While 300hp, maybe 350hp is attainable on stock 160hp injectors, they become enough of a bottleneck that "full rack" with 160hp injectors results in lots of fuel late in the combustion stroke leading to excessive smoke and high EGTs. A 5x12 at, say half rack travel (spitballing here) will make the same power but with much less smoke and lower EGTs. This effect lessens the larger the nozzles get.

#25 ·
Ok so the PDD injectors and k27 turbo have been installed and it seems that my boost is rather low? 24 psi seems to be all it wants to make. Is this reasonable? Had a intercooler boot that had a leak so had new ones put on and still no change in boost. It’s not smoking just a whole lot though. (Not that I need it to)Could a lack of fuel cause this? I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge.

#26 ·
24psi of boost and no smoke? Sounds like it's well tuned such that the compressor is well in its map for the fuel you're pushing.

If you want more power (and there for boost) add more fuel. My guess is the K27 will be fine to 35psi ish. Add fuel, tune the wastegate for 35ish psi, and tune so you get a slight haze at full throttle.

As well start reading the performance stickies if you're looking for tuning guidelines. However I say if it makes good power for what you want leave it alone. 24psi will ensure long turbo life.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
My experience was it spooled the same off the bottom, but was a lot more responsive than an HX in the 1800-2200 range.

FWIW, you only need to start getting concerned about lag with 62mm and up compressors. Even then, a 62/68/.7 is about ideal for a 4.10 truck, even at altitude.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
It seems odd that you can only make 24# of boost with no plate, no waste gate, and 5x12s.

I tried running my truck without a plate for a few days once (I didn't like having my eyes focused on my egt gage more than the road , so I put it back in), and the waste gate hose disconnected. Even with the stock turbo and stock 215 injectors, it would peg the boost needle to 40# (and shortly afterward peg the egt gage at 1600)

How are you controlling your AFC? Maybe the star wheel is set so tight that its not allowing enough rack travel / limiting fuel. If you had full fueling to those 5x12s with only 24# of boost, wouldn't egts be high and a large black cloud be following your truck around?

#35 ·
will be interested to see the results of this when you get it right. As im looking at the k27 turbo for the gen2 next year. I've got afc live 215HP engine with stock injectors,4kgsk 60 pound springs and want a good reliable tow setup without around 350hp with nice cool egts.. ive got probe going in the manifold soon. I dont want to see 1200egts often,will the k27 make be a better option over the stock hx35?

#36 ·
I love the K27.
My motor is a beast. The tuner said it was at about 350, flick the AFC switch 450, all in. I have not flicked the switch, don't need to.
Fuel pressure gauge is like making sure your filters are changed, Suggest going to beginners threads, like learning to walk good before running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.