Build your own head studs.. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Build your own head studs..

Fastenall has 12.9 class m12 threaded rod available, and also the nuts.. Now has anyone considered making your own studs? Can't see why this wouldnt work? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Diesel Freak

Probably not worth the time/money it saves if it fails?? Does make sense though

07 5.9 w/ 6.7 block - firepunk comp 1, stainless 2nd gen S467.7fmw, GDP mega rail, 6.7 cp3, 03-04 Bosch 100hp, fass 95, efiLive V2, 22x14's 325/50
WTB used injection pump with decent miles.... pm me
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Sasquatch

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Sure, you can make your own studs. But do you think you can create a set of studs that matches the properties and quality of ARP or Extreme Studs for the same cost or less?

'97 ECLB NV4500 compound mufflers, Banks stacked with Edge Juice w/Attitude, throttle sensitivity booster, lockup switch, wastegate delete
'10 VW Golf TDI Dieselgate victim, '06 TDI with too much torque
The Following User Says Thank You to crazyrunner33 For This Useful Post:
SMOKEY07 (06-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Are ARP studs threaded fully or no?

And no I can't match their quality per say but makes me wonder if their threads are roll formed or cut, makes a big difference.

Either way I guess my made up studs would be a step above bolts....
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Armchair Mechanic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Black View Post

And no I can't match their quality per say but makes me wonder if their threads are roll formed or cut, makes a big difference.

Either way I guess my made up studs would be a step above bolts....
They are not threaded fully and have coarse thread on the block end and fine thread for the 12pt nuts.

1996 2500 ECLB, NV4500, 4X4
Engine: 24 Valve P-Pump Swapped,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Adj. Timing Gear @ 20*, Haisley L19 studs, DAP 3 Piece Mani, Fluidampr, Southbend DD3250, 5" Exhaust+FTE Resonator
Air: HE351VE w/ Banshee Controller
Fuel: 215HP P7100, Infinite Performance 6x11 VCO, Scheid Conversion Lines, PDD 055s, AirDog II 165, Dual Feed, #0 plate, 4K GSK
Suspension: Thuren 3" Coils, Thuren Sway Bar, DOR Track Bar, DOR Shackle Flip, DOR Extreme Bent Long Arms, Synergy Steering, Fox 2.0 IFPs, Yukon Hub Conversion, Dynatrac BJs, 37x12.5x17 Toyo M/T's on H2s
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of standard thread bolt engagement... Which is not much!! I'm going to add 10mm to each bolt and run new holo krome socket head cap screws.
each stock head bolt only gives you 20mm of engaged threads.
Although in engineering terms you only need a small % of engaged threads... Still it doesn't sit well with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160414_182325445_1460672920839.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	523498  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Black View Post

I almost guarantee they are rolled threads. It's faster and cheaper than cutting threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, SBC Con-O clutch,
, HAD,
/
spinning

Max's Tech Corner:

In Progress:
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Diesel Head

ARPs have rolled threads.

1995 4WD RCLB
10.66 sec, 128.93 mph
Under Construction
The Following User Says Thank You to Drothgeb For This Useful Post:
WetWilly12 (04-16-2016)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:30 AM
Cummins Fan

From my understanding part of what makes the arp's superior is that they use fine thread for the top of the stud. Gives a more consistent torque and clamping force. If you just want a cheap upgrade, you can use a set of the Allen headed cap screws that are rated 12.9
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
clc
Diesel Freak

I can't address the quality of the Fastenal threaded rod. Rolled threads can have denser and smoother surfaces than cut ones. Torque is just an inexpensive way to measure tension in the fastener (clamping force). Torque is also a function of rotational friction so smoother threads and nut and washer faces are better. Due to the physics of inclined planes fine threads on one end of the stud allows better control of clamping force versus torque. One advantage of studs (or threaded rod and nuts) is that they can be fully engaged into the block before they have any tension on them. This makes the torsional friction a function of the threads and nuts instead of the threads and the cast iron threads in the block. It also preserves the threads in the block and vastly reduces the error induced by the twisting of the fastener even with coarse threads on both ends.
From what I have read the stock bolts are designed as single use bolts (torque to yield on initial assembly?)

Keep the rod cool when you cut it and clean up the ends so you don't alter the tempering. You could do some testing with a short length of rod through a steel plate with nuts and washers on both ends to get a feel of how tough the Fastenal rod is.

I've never had a head off a Cummins but chances are that a bottom tap run into the block could let you run the rod into the block a few more turns. This may not be necessary but if I was going to this trouble I'd feel better for doing it.

96 3500 4WD, 47RE, 3K GSK, 85 HP DDP Inectors, BHAF, gauges; 97 3500 4WD 47RE, 3K GSK, Garrett BB turbo, gauges; 97 3500 2WD 5-spd; all club cab. 98.5 2500 2WD SB, 5-spd, quad cab, P-pumped with 4K GSK and modified delivery valves, 188-220 cam, BHAF, gauges.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes that is correct info.. Now I've learned towards a 10mm longer holo krome bolt, because the threaded rod is damn near the same cost as the ARP studs. I've bottom tapped the head holes with at least 4-5 turns more, the only thing you have to watch is the grip lenghth of the bolt. Bit of measuring and I've found they will not interfere with anything.
Working on different main bolts now too, I also bottom tapped them and want to run +10mm... Fun stuff
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
I can't address the quality of the Fastenal threaded rod. Rolled threads can have denser and smoother surfaces than cut ones. Torque is just an inexpensive way to measure tension in the fastener (clamping force). Torque is also a function of rotational friction so smoother threads and nut and washer faces are better. Due to the physics of inclined planes fine threads on one end of the stud allows better control of clamping force versus torque. One advantage of studs (or threaded rod and nuts) is that they can be fully engaged into the block before they have any tension on them. This makes the torsional friction a function of the threads and nuts instead of the threads and the cast iron threads in the block. It also preserves the threads in the block and vastly reduces the error induced by the twisting of the fastener even with coarse threads on both ends.
From what I have read the stock bolts are designed as single use bolts (torque to yield on initial assembly?)

Keep the rod cool when you cut it and clean up the ends so you don't alter the tempering. You could do some testing with a short length of rod through a steel plate with nuts and washers on both ends to get a feel of how tough the Fastenal rod is.

I've never had a head off a Cummins but chances are that a bottom tap run into the block could let you run the rod into the block a few more turns. This may not be necessary but if I was going to this trouble I'd feel better for doing it.
I agree with everything being said here except that bit about inclined planes. The thread is 60 degrees in both the course and fine, vector is the same in both cases. The advantage of fine thread is they can support higher clamping forces because of increased surface area, but only about 10%. The thread engagement on the top is limited by the nut, that's why they're fine thread. More threads in given distance.

1997 XCLB 12v Cummins 4wd. Goerend Trans: 1800 Stall Triple Disk, Billet Input, Internals, Valvebody. Pillar Boost, Fuel PSI, Pyro. DAP 5x12 SAC. 4" Diamond Eye TBE. Wix BHAF w/ outerwears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode