Built 47rh pushing fluid out dipstick after rebuild - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Built 47rh pushing fluid out dipstick after rebuild

I have a 47rh that i finally got around to putting in my truck. Its the first time it has been in the truck because i just did the swap. Before i put it in i had it professionally built. Has a Goerend triple disk, billet front drum, HTS constant high pressure valve body, Sonnax billet input, SFI approved flexplate, Derale cooler, and Alto Red Eagle clutches and kolene steels. I got it swapped in and put about 7 qts in it before i fired it up to finish putting the fluid in. I put total about 16 qts in it so far and it was where it needed to be on the dipstick idling in park( VB pumps in park). Went to put it in gear and as soon as you take it out of park it acts like it wants to go in Drive. I cant find reverse or neutral with the shifter and it doesnt really feel like it goes in gear like it should. Its ran twice for about 10 min each time to try and get the fluid level where it needs to be. After i shut it off, because it would go in neautral or reverse, it started to push a lot of fluid out the dipstick pipe. Any have any help or suggestions for me? It acts like a breather and a check ball or something isnt letting pressure thru the valvebody to hit the gears and its back feeding pressure causing fluid to come out the dipstick. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

89_cummins sled puller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Sounds like the torque converter may not be filled with atf. As for the dipstick tube, replace it with the 98 12v top hat style and it shouldn't leak. Their may be a check valve on one of the transmission cooler lines that can get stuck closed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I used the dipstick off my 727 because the second gen one wouldnt clear the firewall but i can bend it if need be. The trans cooler lines are just 1/2" trans hose. Do you think the cooler its self has a check ball? Maybe the lines are hooked up backwards?

89_cummins sled puller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Valvebody issue??

89_cummins sled puller
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Diesel Freak

I would check your cooler lines for sure. Use shop air to see if there is a restriction. The main front cover on the transmission has a gasket for each feed passage from the hydraulic pump. If the gasket somehow got rotated on reassembly then it could cause all sorts of cross leaks, blockages or other issues. And you would never see it. Of course valve body could surely be an issue. I'm not sure what you could do that wrong on the valve body to get the issues your having though.

98 QCLB 12v he351cw over billet S475 5x.018's, 7mm DV's 4kgsk, Walbro 450lph, 5" Exhaust, DPC Converter, Billet Input, Firepunk Competition Rebuild Kit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Never ever check your fluid level in park.

That said, check your fluid level in neutral. If you don't have a fancy extra deep pan, I'm certain you are overfilled at 16 quarts.

47rh usually takes 12-13 quarts to fill up with completely dry, only takes about 8-9 quarts to refill when you service the filter/drop the pan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95' Junker Drag Truck - 10.7 @ 133 MPH
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I took some fluid out of it so we will see what it does

89_cummins sled puller
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Cummins Nut

Also remember transmission rebuilders usually put a little fluid in to keep things from rusting. It could've come empty, it could have come with a couple to few quarts in it, or it could've come with the right amount of fluid in it already.

I've had trannies come to the shop from junk yards completely dry, from rebuilders with some (amount varies depending on builder) and a few show up completely full. I actually had Nissan send us one 3 quarts over on a brand new one for a frontier.

Although I've never seen an overfilled trans. Act like your describing. Just had them puke the excess fluid out wherever they can and aireate after a few miles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

It was the manual level piece that goes onto the arm where the shift linkage is. It had somehow come off. Now it has lost 3rd gear and i have no idea why. Everything else works great😡

89_cummins sled puller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode