proper type of smoke question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
proper type of smoke question

I am new to the diesel world and just want to ask a question about the smoke that comes out of the truck. Every one says black smoke is good white is bad.

So I just wanted to ask because I may be just paranoid about this?

I just bought a 95 dodge with 75k miles on it and have be driving it for a while when it was warm, black smoke would come out when I hit the gas hard.

Now winter has set in and when the truck is warm charcoal smoke comes out when I hit it. Is this normal or should it be dark black?

when I start it in the morning and it is cold a little whit smoke comes out ( like most cars do at this time of the year) Then when it warms up there is no smoke at all and if I blip the throttle a puff of black smoke comes out. Normal driving no smoke comes out.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Thanked 1,329 Times in 957 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
White smoke is just unburned fuel vapor. You're likely going to get it on a cold engine. Mine doesn't give any white smoke when it's warmer even on cold starts. Lately I get a white puff on startup.

'95 2500 ECLB 4x4, 334k and paused due to epic transformation in progress.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,113 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
In cold weather diesel fuel does not completely atomize and burn instantly and completely. This lack of burning well creates white smoke. When the truck has warmed up (or is warm enough) black smoke can happen when it first starts or when it gets to much fuel for the air available. My truck would blow a puff of black smoke in summer when I hit the throttle starting. In cold weather (like now) white smoke happens. Both are normal.

If you see white smoke when the truck is warmed up that is not normal.

1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. 37337 upgrade. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode