Need some advice for the brake system - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need some advice for the brake system

Hey there guys, I have a 95 Ram 2500 2WD 5 speed with drums on the rear (200k miles on the clock). For a few months she's been pulling to the left when I apply the brakes, the harder I mash the brake pedal the harder she pulls. Also, it feels like she doesn't have very much stopping power. If I ever have to slow down suddenly I might as well forget about it. Some guy in front of me slammed on his brakes the other day, I saw him and I too hit my brakes but she just didn't want to stop. The ABS kicked in with every dip and crack in the road. She eventually came to a stop after scaring the crap out of me, I really thought I was gonna go up that guy's tailpipe. That tells me that the rear end might not be contributing much to stop the vehicle.
Since I finally have a day off work I decided to try to look into it and maybe even fix this issue. But before I go buying new parts that I don't need I want to know what you guys think might be the issue.
I bled the front brakes a few weeks ago thinking that that was the cause of the truck pulling to the side but there was no air in the lines and the pads had plenty of meat on them. I spun each wheel by hand to see if there was more resistance on one side and they had about the same on both sides so this makes me think the problem is on the rear. Buying the right part to get the job done is not a problem, I just don't want to get something I don't need. So can I get some advice on where to start first?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,610 Posts
Uneven rear brake adjustment can make it feel exactly like pull is coming from the front.
These trucks are notorious for the rear self adjusters not to work, you have to manually adjust every once in awhile.
Instructions> http://dieseldatabase.com/adjusting-...-brakes/?id=42

Bill
'95 2500 4wd auto
'95 3500 5 speed heavy hauler
Stock for one day
The Following User Says Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
Panteraboy1988 (10-04-2012)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

That's some great info you gave me there man! I rotated the wheel and sure enough it was making that on and off noise. It also looks like the wheel cylinder is leaking. I couldn't of detected the leak since the fluid is dripping on the brake drum and burning up as soon as the brakes are applied. Now I need to find out how to take off the shoes to get to the cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,610 Posts
It's easy, no need to remove the shoes, just one spring.
While you're at replace with bigger cylinders, about $14 each.
Instructions> https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...tall-pics.html

Bill
'95 2500 4wd auto
'95 3500 5 speed heavy hauler
Stock for one day

Last edited by illflem; 10-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode