Front Brakes Lock Up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front Brakes Lock Up

Hello, I have a '94 2500 4X4 with 144k miles. The front brakes are very touchy and lock up very easily in the morning. I believe that too much brake bias is going to the front all the time, even more so when the brake system is cold. I am wondering if I need a new prop valve. I dont see rebuilt ones offered on the NAPA site, so I am concerned about finding one. Also, I have read on earthroamer.com (1998 truck) that these trucks have a prop. valve that senses ride height (load level) and adjusts bias for loaded vs. unloaded. I ride unloaded 98% of the time. I know the truck is front end heavy, but I need to get this issue solved. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,610 Posts
'94 doesn't have the load adjusting valve.
Problem could be front brake hoses that are collapsed inside and act like a one way valve not allowing the piston to retract after braking.
Could also be the caliper slide bolts are dry and need lubing.

Bill
'95 2500 4wd auto
'95 3500 5 speed heavy hauler
Stock for one day
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thank you for your reply. They do not remained locked/frozen. I guess I wasnt clear with my description. They lock up when my foot is on the pedal ever so lightly. Front tires slide on pavement etc. They do not remained locked when my foot is off the pedal. All braking is going to the front, little or none to the rear. I did put the truck on a lift after I first noticed the problem. I put the truck into gear and touched the brake pedal. The rears do work, just not in the correct ratio. I am getting too much bias in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,610 Posts
The rear self adjusters on these trucks are notorious for not working, adjust them manually.
Instructions> Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes

Even a slight oil leak out the end of the axle can cause oil soaked pads to stick.
Very common for the differential to leak if it's filled to the bottom of the fill hole.
Factory spec is 3/4" below the bottom of the hole.

Bill
'95 2500 4wd auto
'95 3500 5 speed heavy hauler
Stock for one day

Last edited by illflem; 11-16-2011 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Cummins Fanatic

from everyone ive talked to who has owned one of these truck it is absolutely normal. in the morning for the first hundred feet or so i will slightly ride my brakes. its just in the cold that they will lock up and darn near throw you into the steering wheel. from what i have read on here it is the moisture from the night that causes them to grab so hard

1997 12v 2500 five speed 4X4 188000 miles. 5 inch with muffler, 15% plate, timing set to *21, South Bend 3250 DD, 4k gov springs, valve springs, head studs, 90 horse injectors, pump tuned, KDP tabbed, 2 inch leveling kit, 315 75 16, BHAF 5% window tint
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thanks again. I will adjust the rears as soon as I get a chance to use the lift. One detail that I left out of my description is that I bought this truck from a Dr. who let it set in his yard for two years after it ran out of fuel. I towed it home, got it running, and fixed the tank sending unit with the .99 hardware store spring repair. But the time sitting is what made me think that the prop valve may be stuck. Thanks for all the leads.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM

i'm gointo have to side with 5.9haight. on all of the 2nd gens that i've owned, they all do this. what happens is when temperature outside and the dew point match, it causes condensation on the rotors which turns to rust. the rust causes the pads to grab abnormally hard, causing the front brakes to lock. you'll also notice this happening after it rains too. when you start it up and take off, ride your brakes ever so slightly for a little ways. this will fix the problem. to test, when you stop at your first stop sign, they should act normal. the next morning, don't ride the brakes and they will grab. not a solution to this problem, just the joys of owning a 2nd gen.

2006 Dodge 2500, quad cab, 6 speed, 4" lift, 35's on 20s, Smarty TNT, BD Killer B turbo, Jacobs exhaust brake, Valair Street DD Ceramic clucth, cat delete, MBRP performance muffler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Diesel Freak

Usually ill hold the brake while giving throttle and clean em off within 100ft.

97 2500 CCLB 223k, he351ve man cont, 4", airdog, 51" donaldson
2012 QCSB 2500 g56 48k stock, first clutch at 25k, second at 35k. SAC is horrible
1967 FV432 6.57L Opposed Piston 2 Stroke
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Diesel Freak

I have this problem every time it rains or high moisture in the air for a while. I just have to ride the brakes a little to dry them off good, and then they are fine. This has occurred with two different sets of pads and rotors. Just get used to it and drive on.

2000 Dodge RAM 2500, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, 5-Speed manual transmission. Silverline 4" exhaust, Juice with Attitude, Airdog 100, K&N air filter, 17" rims, big brake upgrade (2004 version), 08.5 steering upgrade, CPP 125 hp injectors. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode