96 Ram 2500 12 valve wiper motor problem? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 96 Ram 2500 12 valve wiper motor problem?

Yesterday I simply replaced the wiper linkage in my truck that has over 500,000KMS with one I scraped last year with just over 280,000KMS. All parts had less wear so I kept what I could. I unplugged the wiper motor & removed the linkage motor & all. I then removed the motor from the old linkage & bolted in on the newer linkage. Plugged that same motor back into the harness & "pop" went the 20A fuse. Removing the motor from the linkage & unplugging it from the harness I put 12 volts on it from the battery with jumper wires & it worked fine, low & high speed. Not connecting it back up I replaced the fuse & turn the key on. Turning the wiper switch I got 12 volts at the wiper connector no problem. Turned the key off plugged the motor back in but not connected to the wiper arms & turned the key back on. "PoP" goes the fuse again. I have swapped the multifunction wiper switch as I had another one. Pop goes the fuse again. Changed the wiper delay module & pop went the fuse again. Tried the other motor i had, pop goes the fuse. Unplug the motor from the connector & turn the key....no problem 12 volts at the motor connector. 2 motors doing the same thing? No problem before I unplugged it from the connector the first time. Weird. I am am electrician & I can't figure it out. I am looking for a wiring diagram for the wipers to trace it out & see what's going on. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Diesel Head

so its blowing the fuse when the motor installed and not with the motor off right? sorry i got a little confused.

but if thats the case i would think that when the motor is installed its grounding out, therefore blowing ur fuse. maybe something got bent when u changed it the first time and its grounding out where its not suppose to be

oooooohhhh wow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Thanks but no pins are bent. I checked the resistance on each of the 4 pins on the motor & both motors are the same. Yes it blows when the motor is connected but the switch is not on. It's very strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Cummins Fan

Interesting. My fluid squirter does not work. It sucks.

77 Jeep J20 11 inches lift, locked, 42's, 6BT dodge frame
96 Dodge 2500 6BT/Banks 35's, tow rig
Just a Conservative American
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Cummins Fanatic

it is possible for both motors to have been damaged enough during removal to over load the fuse, ok you hook a motor to a batty w/ 750 amp but when you hook it to a 20 amp fuse it will blow it all it takes is to bind the gears up in the transmission

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

No the motors turns easily when hooked to the battery. I just checked the resistance on both the motor leads & they are really low. #3 is 1.3 ohm. #2 is .2 ohm #1 is .2 ohm & #4 is 1.1 ohm.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Wierd mine stopped working this morning too changed a broke fuse had no luck.

2001 2500 qclb 4x4- edge ez, bhaf, 09-10 steering upgrade, and 5in turbo back. Hopefully gauges, lift pump, 100hp injectors, and a shift kit this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode