after market projector lights - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
after market projector lights

Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket projector headlamp assemblies? I am going to upgrade; but would prefer not to cut my wiring if there is a good alternative. Am I right that a 1995 3500 would need 2004 lights? Some of these offered have 2005, or 2007. I am looking for an assembly I can bolt in, adjust and drive.

1995 3500; pacbrake exhaust flange, 4" exhaust; turbo booster elbow; pan-off trans kit with towing valve body and deep alum pan; alum (add fluid) rear end cover. All factory extras except leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM
On call 24/7

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,110 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
https://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDet...%2ERAM%2ERETRO
Im gonna pull the trigger on a set of these.

1998 12v, 4x4, Club Cab, Carli, Thuren, BlueTop, Core 4x4, BD Diesel, PDD 5x.012, South Bend
2012 Laramie Longhorn, EFI by Ryan, Carli, Thuren
1995 Dually, Weston's 5x.016, 4k GSK, 5" FloPro, 255/85r16 Toyo M/T, Goerend, ARP, 60# Springs, BW 62/65/14, BW 75/96/1.10, Isspro, Fass 125, BDP Sump, 7mm DV's, 751 HP 1883 FP Torque on NOS
1998 P-Pumped 24v, 4x4, NV4500 swap
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

One of my stock lights has a bad lens so I am looking. Anyone else try some other options? These look good; but I see a lot on E bay and Amazon, I know some are junk.

1995 3500; pacbrake exhaust flange, 4" exhaust; turbo booster elbow; pan-off trans kit with towing valve body and deep alum pan; alum (add fluid) rear end cover. All factory extras except leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I had a set of HIDs from retroshop on another truck for about two years before they just stopped working. Of course they stopped working at night, a thousand miles away from home. Lucky for me I also have four small light bars mounted in the bumper (aftermarket winch bumper) of that truck so I was able to safely (although not really legally) get to an auto parts store just before they closed for the night were I bought some stock bulbs and got back on the road.

I've since just removed the HID kit completely and threw it away. Now I just run LED replacement bulbs that fit like stock (amazon specials, called the "eye of megatron" ) that are just as bright & white as the HIDs, but I still keep that set of stock bulbs in the glove box just in case.

In my 12 valve truck I went with a sport conversion and those same LED replacement bulbs. Lots of light, stock wiring, and if they bulbs go out, easy to find workable replacements for almost anywhere.

The projectors are nice, but here are other solutions out there that give you great headlights for a lot less money, they just might have have as much "cool factor" as the projectors do.

97 Extended cab 4x4, NV4500, gauges, valair single disc clutch, 4k gov springs, +60 lb valve springs, tool steel retainers & locks, homemade #10 plate, medium tension AFC spring & flat washers, 5x13 sac injectors, 055 DVs, stock turbo and manifold for now. Lifted on 37" tires and 4:10 gears.

Last edited by Antonm; 12-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I'm looking for brighter; don't care which. Thanks for info.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I semi-recently did my own HID conversion with parts from the retrofit source and couldn't be happier with them. I only have about $250-$280 into them if I remember correctly and only a few hours of my time.

I tried LED bulbs in stock housings then sport conversion with stock bulbs & then LED bulbs, none of them come close to how well these perform.

1997 ECLB - 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe - ISSpro Trans temp/EGT/Boost - AFC Live - boost elbow - 191s - Built trans - BHAF - ARP 425s - PSC SG852 - 315/75/16
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Diesel Freak

Iím curious to where this thread ends up. The older I get, the more light I need.
Iíve done about all you can do with halogens. Relays on the highs and lows, sports conversion, heavier wire, lows wired to the highs. I havenít tried led bulbs in the aftermarket sports lights , Iíve heard the dispersal of light isnít optimal. Iím also curious as to what parts it takes to retrofit for hids. And if thatíll work in aftermarket sports lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one owner '96 eclb dump flatbed. truck and owner are both computer illiterate.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookit View Post
Iím also curious as to what parts it takes to retrofit for hids. And if thatíll work in aftermarket sports lights.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...C51136%2C47338

That is the kit I used, with the "super" option.

I may make another set with some sport housings I have laying around and use These in the high beam spot.
hookit likes this.

1997 ECLB - 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe - ISSpro Trans temp/EGT/Boost - AFC Live - boost elbow - 191s - Built trans - BHAF - ARP 425s - PSC SG852 - 315/75/16
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,572 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I'm curious about how much you guys who want brighter give a damn about other drivers. I had a pickup owner pass me last night with not two, but four, LED headlights blinding every body. I know he wasn't on high beams because when I flashed my rearward facing spot at him he really dazzled the highway. To my knowledge our stock housings are not constructed for anything other than stock style bubs when it comes to aiming them correctly. How well do "eye of megatron" and projector bulbs keep the beam on the ground?

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
I'm curious about how much you guys who want brighter give a damn about other drivers. I had a pickup owner pass me last night with not two, but four, LED headlights blinding every body. I know he wasn't on high beams because when I flashed my rearward facing spot at him he really dazzled the highway. To my knowledge our stock housings are not constructed for anything other than stock style bubs when it comes to aiming them correctly. How well do "eye of megatron" and projector bulbs keep the beam on the ground?
All the LED headlight bulbs I messed with (which hasn't been that many really) don't have any forward facing LED's. Meaning all the light produced is reflected off the back of the housing before it leaves the truck . In doing so the stock headlight pattern is maintained and light only goes where the headlight reflector would dictate (now the LED light bars I also have mounted are a different story, but those aren't meant for on-road use). If you were to have forward facing emitters , then yeah, light could go off in any direction.Which would not only be annoying to other drivers , but also pretty useless to the owner.

The reason I went with retro solutions for my now broken HID setup (that was used on a different , non-dodge truck) is because they offered a "capped bulb" , were basically the front of the bulb was coated with a black coating so all the light would have to come off the headlight assemblies reflector and not the directly from the bulb.

It shouldn't matter to the pattern if its stock bulbs, HID's, or LED's producing the light, if ALL the light is reflected off the headlight assemblies back reflector before leaving the truck.

97 Extended cab 4x4, NV4500, gauges, valair single disc clutch, 4k gov springs, +60 lb valve springs, tool steel retainers & locks, homemade #10 plate, medium tension AFC spring & flat washers, 5x13 sac injectors, 055 DVs, stock turbo and manifold for now. Lifted on 37" tires and 4:10 gears.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Cummins Fanatic

A projector with a good cutoff aimed properly shouldn't be an issue for other drivers.
hookit likes this.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,572 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I can't tell you for a fact which kind of aftermarket lights were installed on that pickup, although I'd love to ask the moron who owns it. They weren't light bars, the uppers were in the stock location and the second set were mounted below where fog lights/driving lights are placed. There was absolutely no cutoff to them.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode