Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turns easier to right than left.

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bob95065 
#1 ·
The steering wheel in my 96 4x4 turns a lot easier to the right than it does the left. For some reason I could have swore when I had my last 2nd gen truck years ago this was kind of a common trait to them but now I can’t find anything about it so maybe dreamt that who knows. But anyone else notice this. Front end is in pretty good shape I’m sure there is some wear now but no huge amount of slop in wheels or anything obvious. Stock wheels and tires and stock height.

#2 ·
Your steering gear box is at fault. You could try flushing the fluid to clear whatever is sticking but more than likely it will need to be replaced.

#5 ·
Figured share my experience, I was having the same problem. I know my steering box needs to be replaced, it's leaking pretty bad, but the steering on road isn't bad. I let the truck sit for a couple of months and it got real low, started it up and it frothed up badly and couldn't steer.

Jacked the truck up bleed the steering MANY times and it was still having problems turning to one side, drove a few short trips with no improvements.

Jacked the truck back up turned lock to lock 20-30 times engine off and let it sit over night...twice! That seemed to do the trick, steering is back to normal now...I just have to remember to add power steering fluid regularly.

That said I'm reading the forums here looking for what is a good reliable, budget friendly replacement steering box...lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.