Can I add cruise control on my 5spd manual? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Can I add cruise control on my 5spd manual?

Iím wanting to try and add cruise control to my truck. Itís a 5spd manual tranny. Not sure if itís possible but if it is what all would I need to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 C&C 3500 SLT Aisin DRW 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:44 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,555 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I've heard of trucks with no AC, but never of one that didn't come with cruise control. Look under the driver's side battery. If there is an actuator under the battery shelf you just have to troubleshoot the cruise. The factory service manual has it.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

This one doesnít even have the buttons on the steering wheel for it. No actuator no nothing. Thereís a dummy cover where the switches normally would be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Diesel Head

That is one rare vehicle you have. If you are going forward with adding CC there are some things you need to know. The controls are not the same for every year. 1500 parts are easier to find in u-pull-it yards, the components are the same. You might have to source a clockspring. That could be a problem.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
That is one rare vehicle you have. If you are going forward with adding CC there are some things you need to know. The controls are not the same for every year. 1500 parts are easier to find in u-pull-it yards, the components are the same. You might have to source a clockspring. That could be a problem.

Would the actuator be the same as a gas burner? I thought those year gas burners were fuel injected already?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Diesel Head

Good question. A look under the battery box will tell you.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just did a little poking around because I'm kinda surprised by the idea that any trucks didn't come with em too. Looks like you can pick up new switches (though I wouldn't bother, they are a fail-unlikely part, and $120 new!), and the actuator cable and clockspring is available. Everything else you'd need to pull from the yard (or ebay, or whatever). I can't swear that the engine/dash harness is wired for cruise, but it would really shock me if it wasn't. There's a small harness that goes from the main engine harness to the cruise actuator you'd need to pick up.

Here's a 'parts list' for the underhood parts. Unfortunately, as you can see, most is discontinued and you're on your own, but none of it should be difficult to find in a yard. The clockspring with cruise, 56007627, is available new, but pricey at $150 or so. That's probably the only part I really might consider going new on, though. They do wear out and pulling the steering wheel is no fun, might only want to do that once. It looks like they indeed had a separate clockspring for non-cruise models, so you'll need it.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...Filter=(E=ETB)

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 4.10s.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimduchek View Post
Just did a little poking around because I'm kinda surprised by the idea that any trucks didn't come with em too. Looks like you can pick up new switches (though I wouldn't bother, they are a fail-unlikely part, and $120 new!), and the actuator cable and clockspring is available. Everything else you'd need to pull from the yard (or ebay, or whatever). I can't swear that the engine/dash harness is wired for cruise, but it would really shock me if it wasn't. There's a small harness that goes from the main engine harness to the cruise actuator you'd need to pick up.

Here's a 'parts list' for the underhood parts. Unfortunately, as you can see, most is discontinued and you're on your own, but none of it should be difficult to find in a yard. The clockspring with cruise, 56007627, is available new, but pricey at $150 or so. That's probably the only part I really might consider going new on, though. They do wear out and pulling the steering wheel is no fun, might only want to do that once. It looks like they indeed had a separate clockspring for non-cruise models, so you'll need it.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...Filter=(E=ETB)

Thank you for the info!

1994 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW 5 spd manual

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode