Cummins Diesel Forum banner

upper ball joints

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  colin91 
#1 ·
Did a search and found quite a few were as surprised as I was that the upper ball joints on a 4x4 didn't have grease nipples. Advice was to remove the plugs, put in 90 degree nipples, grease, remove nipples and reinstall plugs. Is there a grease nipple that can stay in without being sheared off by the u-joint?

#2 ·
When I did mine I had to grind the corner off the 90º grease fitting. It clears the axle yoke barely but it clears and its grease-able now.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin
#3 ·
I got a couple 90’s but have yet to mess with them since my last greasing.

#4 ·
I just did all 4 balljoints yesterday, I tried the 90* nipple included with the ball joints(trying MevoTech TTX HD ball joints), also replaced the u-joints and hubs and even when brand new they still won’t clear, I decided to just leave the plugs in and keep the 90 for greasing when I service. For the extra 5 mins a side it takes to remove the plug and install the fitting to grease I think it’s better then when a hub or a u joint getting a little play and shearing the nipple off.

#6 ·
(trying MevoTech TTX HD ball joints)
Those are the ones I installed as well. I've heard very good things about them. I'll have to get a picture of how I have mine set up.

#8 ·
Most grease zerk fittings are 1/4-28 UNF(straight thread) or 1/4” NPT(tapered thread). Some are M6 but it’s pretty rare I think for parts on these trucks. Easy way to tell is just to thread a nut of the same thread on your fitting and see if it fits. The tapered NPT fittings will still thread into a straight tapped hole, but I wouldn’t torque it down too hard cause less threads are grabbing.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I tried this style on mine but couldn't get a good straight shot at it with the needle attachment for my grease gun. Maybe they make a curved or right angle needle attachment.

#11 ·
Here's what I did:

Used the smallest straight grease fittings I could find and got a 90 degree adapter for my grease gun, both came from my local auto parts store for under 10 bucks.

I can rotate the axle so that the fitting is between the 2 yokes, and easily fit the nozzle in there, since its on a flex hose too you just push it on, hold and give it a few pumps and away I go.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.