Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Fla.
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No Hazard lights No Turn Signals
98 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve. No Hazard Lights No Turn signals working. here is what I have done so far:
1. checked fuses, drivers compartment. all are working except number 5, which I think is "illumination". I put in new fuses when I bought the truck. tested all fuses with multimeter and all are getting power except number 5. (see picture)
2. checked fuses, engine compartment. fuse assigned to "hazard" was fine, but I replaced it anyway.
3. put in new relay at passenger compartment fuse box (see picture). no relay to be found under the dash.
4. put in new multifunction stalk (wipers, water, turn signal, bright lights).
5. wipers work. water pump to windshield works. bright lights work.
6. checked rear bulbs. one bulb was out on each side. one upper left, and one lower right. replaced both Sylvania bulbs.
7. brake lights work IF the hazard is in the on position.not the other way.
8. checked service manual. found that the power distribution does link the stop lamp switch to the turn signal/hazard switch (part of multifunction switch at steering wheel) and the center high mounted stop lamp no 1 and No 2 (see picture)
9. have not checked the center high mounted stop lamp number 2.
10. interestingly, after all this work, the right turn signal indicator at the dash will stay on when trying to signal right turn, but it will not show the left indicator (maybe a bad bulb in dash?). AND when indicating left, the front left turn signal light will stay in the on position (also meaning I think the dash bulb is bad).
so I still think it is a bad relay, even though I replaced the relay a the passenger dash fuse box. I bought a universal one. maybe the wrong one.
there is still a frayed wire somewhere between the cab and the rear lights or the high center light. I have read other threads and seen videos where frayed Wires did cause issues.
I am soliciting any suggestions.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve