No Hazard lights No Turn Signals - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No Hazard lights No Turn Signals

98 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve. No Hazard Lights No Turn signals working. here is what I have done so far:
1. checked fuses, drivers compartment. all are working except number 5, which I think is "illumination". I put in new fuses when I bought the truck. tested all fuses with multimeter and all are getting power except number 5. (see picture)
2. checked fuses, engine compartment. fuse assigned to "hazard" was fine, but I replaced it anyway.
3. put in new relay at passenger compartment fuse box (see picture). no relay to be found under the dash.
4. put in new multifunction stalk (wipers, water, turn signal, bright lights).
5. wipers work. water pump to windshield works. bright lights work.
6. checked rear bulbs. one bulb was out on each side. one upper left, and one lower right. replaced both Sylvania bulbs.
7. brake lights work IF the hazard is in the on position.not the other way.
8. checked service manual. found that the power distribution does link the stop lamp switch to the turn signal/hazard switch (part of multifunction switch at steering wheel) and the center high mounted stop lamp no 1 and No 2 (see picture)
9. have not checked the center high mounted stop lamp number 2.
10. interestingly, after all this work, the right turn signal indicator at the dash will stay on when trying to signal right turn, but it will not show the left indicator (maybe a bad bulb in dash?). AND when indicating left, the front left turn signal light will stay in the on position (also meaning I think the dash bulb is bad).

so I still think it is a bad relay, even though I replaced the relay a the passenger dash fuse box. I bought a universal one. maybe the wrong one.

OR

there is still a frayed wire somewhere between the cab and the rear lights or the high center light. I have read other threads and seen videos where frayed Wires did cause issues.

I am soliciting any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	858867   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	858869   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	858871   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	858873   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	858875  

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12 valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
Update: found a burned out bulb in the speedometer cluster, for the left turn signal. now I can confirm that the left turn signal and right turn signal stay on in the dash cluster when indicated - when the hazard light switch is on--, and the front left and right front light turn signals will simply stay on when indicated, but not the rear turn signal lights. I am now thinking the circuit is interrupted somewhere between the back lights and the fusebox. so I have to search for frayed wires, I think. thoughts solicited.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,762 Times in 1,546 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Don't you have two flashers? One for the signals and another for emergency flashers? I do, and they both have to be serviceable.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
thank you for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by two flashers.

the turn signals and the emergency flashers are controlled at the multifunction switch.

do you mean two relays, one for the emergency flashers and one for the turn signals? not sure about that.

I only know of the one relay at the passenger compartment fuse box - not sure if its for turn signals or flashers. that was replaced tonight and that did allow the turn signal flashers
to turn on the front and stay on, but won't blink.

I replaced two rear bulbs, one on each side, one for the brake light, and one for the flasher. now starting to think I should have replaced all four because although two of the old bulbs seem good, no filiment broken, I didn't check the bases for corrosion.

looked under dash at the steering wheel and didn't see any relays. confirmed power at the ignition which I understand feeds
the power to the wire harness at the multifunction switch.
there is a fuse at the engine compartment fusebox and its good. I replaced it. didn't see any hazard relay.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Don't you have two flashers? One for the signals and another for emergency flashers? I do, and they both have to be serviceable.
The 1998 has one relay style flasher for both. Its in the same place as our trucks older trucks, unlabled.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanack6795 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
The 1998 has one relay style flasher for both. Its in the same place as our trucks older trucks, unlabled.

Is that flasher relay in the passenger fuse panel?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Cummins Nut

It looks like you put a plain relay in the flasher socket? The SH049 is a standard SPDT relay. Nice for turning loads on and off. It is not a flasher, your lights will not flash. I do not know the p/n for the 98 combination flasher, but perhaps someone with a 98 can pipe up.

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 4.10s.

Last edited by jimduchek; 10-22-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimduchek View Post
It looks like you put a plain relay in the flasher socket? The SH049 is a standard SPDT relay. Nice for turning loads on and off. It is not a flasher, your lights will not flash. I do not know the p/n for the 98 combination flasher, but perhaps someone with a 98 can pipe up.

Yes thanks—You are correct— I now realize the Oreillys parts store clerk handed me the wrong relay so I called and they had to order the flasher relay for me. My bad for not noticing sooner. Good Catch- Ugh.

But even with a standard relay the rear flashers don’t worn at all but I only replaced one bulb so now will replace the other though it looked ok to me but forgot to check the base for corrosion.
Frustrating— but I kind of like playing detective to chase down and solve problems on my truck. I found the service manual and it’s huge- been slowly reading it to learn more.

Thanks

clerk handed me a standard relay so I ordered tendlasher

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Cummins Nut

I would not expect anything to work right with a regular relay in there. Looking at the diagram of the flasher... the relay will supply ignition power to either the turn signal circuit or the hazard circuit, depending on whether or not the battery is connected... kind of nonsense, really. Are the rear bulbs on the 98's dual-filament, or are there two separate bulbs for the turn/brake lights and the taillights?

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 4.10s.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JR

Garage
Yup. Found a proper Hazard relay, installed it and it works. But not before realizing that some of the wires to the back of the passenger fuse box were loose in terms Of the pins in the connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimduchek View Post
I would not expect anything to work right with a regular relay in there. Looking at the diagram of the flasher... the relay will supply ignition power to either the turn signal circuit or the hazard circuit, depending on whether or not the battery is connected... kind of nonsense, really. Are the rear bulbs on the 98's dual-filament, or are there two separate bulbs for the turn/brake lights and the taillights?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode