shake/wobble when driving after new tires - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I got tired of sub par mounting and balancing jobs and ended up getting my own Hunter equipment. At the time there were several tire stores within 15 miles, but with at least two sets per month it got old just to bring the tires and wheels to one of them.
It was also tricky to evaluate the tires when I had no real knowledge of how well they were mounted, and what the runout and road force numbers might have been. All I could go by was the amount of wheel weights and any obvious runout while the were spun on basic balancers.

Road force balancing used to cost extra, and worth every penny (if done correctly), but these days the Hunters are so common that it's probably the same price.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I know what you mean. I had to go out to the shop at one place and show the guy how to mount my wheels on the balancer. He was using a cone too small and it was going down into the center of my hub and the entire assembly was wobbling terribly. I told him what was going on and he said he didn't have any other that would fit. He had a larger one with a shoulder and step down and snap ring groove around the end and he started using it with the same results. I finally told him give it to me and I showed him that the tapered part of the cone wasn't coming into contact with the hub hole, it was jamming the shoulder against the rim. So he got this gigantic cone out and put it on and it shook ferociously. I showed him that it was so big it was hitting the castings where the holes are drilled and tapped for the center caps. He continued to try to force it to work and hold the tire close to the center while tightening the lock. Finally I told him give me the wheels ad let me in my truck. I got an angle grinder out of my truck and knocked off the high spots of the castings that were keeping the cone from going all the way in. At this point, the manager was coming out and telling me they needed me to come in and pay for the tires because it was past closing time. I told him not until I have tires on my truck to pay for. Then they ran out of wheel weights on the last wheel, so they start picking up old weights that got scraped off the rim and trying to stick them on. Now stick on weights have a foam double sided tape on them and when you peel them off, it peels the foam and leaves the tape behind. Yeah, they wouldn't stick but they tried acting like it was ok even though I could see the weights were wobbling and just sitting there. This was at a tire shop in Tallahassee.

GAmes, the wheels from both vehicles are lug centering. Neither have hubs that center on my truck. The reason I say it confirms it's the tires is because the rim runout has been checked and there is no visible runout on the rims. A dial indicator might show a few thousandths, but that would be negligible I believe.

Aburdette, the road force balancing procedure is more involved and requires a more expensive machine that most tire shops don't have, so it does translate to more expense. If I had plenty of disposable cash and disposable space in my shop, I'd get my own tire equipment too. It really does pay to know what you're doing and have knowledge. I do my own work too, used to work for a local Dodge dealership and became ASE certified and Chrysler certified in many areas. It's awkward going to a place of business and then telling them what they need to do and how they need to do what they are in business to do, but that's the way it is these days. People don't know their trade anymore, people can't critically think anymore, they don't care enough to do the job right, the work ethic isn't there, it's sad and I don't know where that's going to steer us as a society over the next few decades but it's worrisome.

96 12 valve club cab lwb 2500 2wd 250k 3.55 gears, 265/75-r16, OFV at 30, no plate, AFC full fwd, HX35 at 35 psi boost, Timing~16.5, 5x11s, 2790 BHAF, Banks hi-flo muffler, 3.5" exhaust, Deleted prefilter & heater, mildly built 47re, billet single TC. KDPF
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post
It's awkward going to a place of business and then telling them what they need to do and how they need to do what they are in business to do, but that's the way it is these days. People don't know their trade anymore, people can't critically think anymore, they don't care enough to do the job right, the work ethic isn't there, it's sad and I don't know where that's going to steer us as a society over the next few decades but it's worrisome.
Have you been reading my mind?!? Oh well, I can't copyright what I think, I guess.
Cheeze likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Diesel Head

So, the bottom line is who do you trust anymore...In the north west, we have Lxx Sxxxx that has an incredible reputation over the last 20+ years....started with nothing and grew a very successful business. Like may upstarts, they get big enough and they forget what got them there. I have two current situations with purchasing tires (not cheap) that the air pressure was not even correct (fl and fr-my daughter) and not following instructions (I want this in the front and this in the back)....
Sad when this happens

98-4x4 5spd
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

You guys are gonna start thinking I'm making this up, it's so unbelievable. Here's today's update:

I scheduled my morning clear because the local Mavis was supposed to have 5 tires for me in stock this morning... 4 for my truck, one for backup in case one was unacceptable. I got there and they have 3. They were supposed to be there yesterday and nobody checked or noticed or bothered to tell anyone that only 3 tires were in until I show up. Now there is a request in to the warehouse for the one today to see if they can get it this afternoon. So I guess another day devoted to chasing tires.

96 12 valve club cab lwb 2500 2wd 250k 3.55 gears, 265/75-r16, OFV at 30, no plate, AFC full fwd, HX35 at 35 psi boost, Timing~16.5, 5x11s, 2790 BHAF, Banks hi-flo muffler, 3.5" exhaust, Deleted prefilter & heater, mildly built 47re, billet single TC. KDPF
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Diesel Head

Hey, Meatloaf said that two out of three ain't bad. You got three out of five, which is better.

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
60% is better than 67%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Hey, Meatloaf said that two out of three ain't bad. You got three out of five, which is better.

R12.5z in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078.5z all year.
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Diesel Head

Shhh!!! I was trying to make Cheeze feel a bit better, not be factual.

post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

They said the tire will be in Monday. I told him just cancel the order, I will be gone. I asked if they could road force my tires. They did. One showed 45 lbs of force, which is pretty bad, another showed 30 something I think, and the worst showed 68 lbs of force. They re=clocked the wheels the one with 68 lbs required two different attempts and then still wouldn't balance just right and finally after adding over half a pound of weights, they got it "balanced" but you can still see it hopping and lateral weave too. I'm going to have to get that one warrantied but maybe after my trip if I can live with it that long. At this point I guess we know the problem is tires and now it's just a "wonder how long this ridiculous story will go on" type of thing.

On a positive note, they didn't charge me for the road forcing since they messed up my tire order.

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Diesel Head

Holy cow! I didn't know a Hunter could count to 68!

Did you get to see the rim runout numbers? And the tire's runout? The machine should've refused the tires, at the very least.
I guess they disregarded that and plodded on.

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,563 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I think it is the after market wheels. Just because they don't have visible rim runout doesn't mean they are good wheels.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Diesel Head

A Hunter will show down to one thousandth of an inch how much runout there is.
As long as the wheel is mounted correctly on the balancer, that is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode