Thinking of selling her, buying another new 4th gen - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,371 Times in 799 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of selling her, buying another new 4th gen

Well, it's coming up on 2 years since I purchased her, and I'm seriously considering selling her and buying another new truck (I had a 2012 before this). Here's why:

The paint on the hood is starting to oxidize. I have tried a number of products to try to battle it, none of which have worked. It actually looks worse after I tried the compounds. I took the truck to a paint shop and got a quote of $5,500 to prep and paint the whole thing to look factory new.

The transmission performs flawlessly, but I know if I start hauling 15k routinely through the mountains this spring/summer, I could be looking at a new one. It's got 121,000 on it already. While the valve body and torque converter are heavy duty, all the clutches are stock. That's $4,500.

Then we get into the creature comforts. This is where the 2nd gen is really dated compared to the 4th gen. The comfort level is just not there. I don't need to go down the list, but it's a long one. The driving experience is lacking because of it.

I've thought of installing aftermarket leather seats, a NAV/Satellite radio system, etc., but that's just more money.

All in all, I'm questioning whether I want to put any more money into this truck because then I'm married to it for years and years to get out what I put into it. I'm the kind of guy who always improves a vehicle he buys. Since I bought this truck, this is what I've done:

-Replaced all four shocks
-Replaced front rotors, pads, unit bearings, front axle u-joints
-Upgraded Hellwig sway bar end links, replaced all bushings
-Replaced factory hitch with Curt 17k hitch
-Replaced 5th wheel hitch with B & W turnover ball and Companion
-Installed 60lb valve springs, both intake and exhaust
-Installed BD exhaust brake
-Bought used canopy
-Installed Weatherguard toolbox from old truck

As you can see, there's a lot of money there, and I could just keep going. Part of me just wants the new truck with the warranty. I mean, between the purchase price and the upgrades I've got over $20k into this truck already. I don't want to be over $30k into a 20 year old truck, but I would be if I kept it. I can't just sit still with them, I continue to address every single little thing. I'm the kind of person people want to buy a used truck from. I never let things go. At this point in time, the truck is absolutely perfect mechanically. No leaks, no squeaks, no noises (well, except the Banks exhaust which rattles against something, I need to find that), so perhaps it's a good time to find her a new home. Not positive, just thinking about it.

Thoughts?

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold '92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Cummins Fan

I was in the same position last summer and decided to keep my 97. The sales taxes on the new truck plus annual property tax would exceed the cost to make my truck look better. I'm not sure where you are located but I found someone to weld in new metal in the rocker panels, paint the frame, spray the inside of the bed, paint the entire truck, and install new lights and bumpers that I provided. Total cost was $2900 in a suburb of DC. You can probably find someone else to paint the truck cheaper if you look around and lower your standards a little.

I plan to get an aux port installed into the factory radio to make it ipod compatible. I'm not willing to deal with emissions on the 4th gen yet but know the day will come that i have to upgrade for comfort. The truck isn't my only vehicle though so your situation may be different.

97 ECLB 4x4 5spd
mostly stock - BHAF, 4" turbo back, H2s w/35s, no level, DTProfab track bar
The Following User Says Thank You to lincvert For This Useful Post:
brownbear (01-02-2016)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Cummins Fanatic

why not just sell your current truck and get a used 2003-2005 cummins. then you don't have the hefty price tag of a new truck and you get he creature comforts of a 3rd gen. by the way what state are you in? I'm in the market for a good 2nd gen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bpunk360 For This Useful Post:
brownbear (01-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,371 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpunk360 View Post
why not just sell your current truck and get a used 2003-2005 cummins. then you don't have the hefty price tag of a new truck and you get he creature comforts of a 3rd gen. by the way what state are you in? I'm in the market for a good 2nd gen.
Thanks for asking. I have no interest in 3rd gens. They are my least favorite of all Cummins powered Rams due to injector issues, engine failures, and the price tags. They are, IMO, the most overpriced followed by the 1st gens. They also have issues with the blend doors in the dash and you have to take the whole dash out to upgrade them. Want to buy a brand new truck.

I'm in WA state.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold '92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,117 Posts
If you buy a new $70k truck it will depreciate quickly. You will probably lose $20k the first year.

The old mechanical reliable is not available any longer.

If you prefer the old simpler mechanicals stay with the old. If you want up to date and plan on trading before the warranty expires buy new. New diesels get very expensive when repairs are necessary. I would not buy a new computer controlled diesel except at a huge discount.

Fix the old truck up or buy new. You will spend a lot of money that just disappears either way.

1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. 37337 upgrade. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
So your trans doesn't slip, And your assuming it will fail. My neighbor got 230k out of his 1997s 47re he towed often.

Paints optional you don't need to spend 5k on a paint job.

A 1600 dollar macco job is more than good enough for a truck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
At this point in time, the truck is absolutely perfect mechanically. No leaks, no squeaks, no noises.... so perhaps it's a good time to find her a new home. Not positive, just thinking about it.

Thoughts?
Keep it. The grass always 'seems' greener, but the junk on the dealer lots is getting worse each year. Its only meant to last the warranty period. Nothing will be as easy to maintain (or last as long) as a mechanical diesel. Your lengthy list of mods shows half your truck is way newer than its model year.

Swap in some later seats, and get your stereo. Pickup some rattle cans of paint & bedliner and attempt to do a good job. Thousands of $$$$ in paint doesn't make it go down the road any better.

My 1stgens are going to last me the next 40 years

93 W250 Club 6BTA |5spd |60/80/3.54/Lockright |4" lift |315/75R16 |HX35 |5x.012s |BD pin & gov spring
90 D250 6BT |5spd |D60/3.54/Lockright
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Diesel Head

Figure out how much it's going to take to get the truck where you want it.
Figure out how much a new truck is
Factor insurance, repairs and insurance for both...

Then decide what/where your bliss is-that's your answer...doesn't matter what we think, you need to be happy and look at it and enjoy it when you drive.

In my case, top end will be 15k for a truck that will outlast my daughters (be dependable, cost efficient, and I can work on). Insurance is cheap and it's super dependable. I can't afford a new truck, can't work on one, and personally don't like the looks of them.

98-4x4 5spd
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:12 AM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Thanked 1,346 Times in 972 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanack6795 View Post
A 1600 dollar macco job is more than good enough for a truck.
I had Maaco spray my old '84 Camaro. This wasn't the cheapest option, but the one up from it. It was back when they called them "ambassador," "presidential," and whatever else. I think it was a $600 service. Anyway, I had them do the prep work, and it really turned out great. Car lived outside and it never chipped, cracked, peeled, bubbled, or anything in the 3 years I owned it after the paint job. Wouldn't hesitate to have them do a $1000 paint job on my truck, and I probably will as soon as I have a place to park it inside.

'95 2500 ECLB 4x4, 334k and paused due to epic transformation in progress.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Diesel Freak

This has been my dilemma since I could first afford a diesel. I have been through about 15 different rigs in the last 6 years! I have flopped back and forth between 4th gens with warranty to 2nd gens for simplicity and back to fourth then 3rd and even thrown a couple Duramaxs in the mix for fun...Currently have my sig truck AND an 06 GMC for work.

I don't think their is a right answer. Do what you feel most happy/comfortable about. If you are always going to be worried about the transmission tanking on your 12 valve and don't enjoy getting behind the wheel any more, I would sell it. The new trucks with warranty are not as bad and scary as everyone thinks. I know lots of people personally who own 13+ Rams and they have been problem free minus a few recalls or minor warranty items. Will the emissions systems last 20+ years without issue like the old trucks? Hard to say - I personally wouldn't bet on it but who knows what the technology will be like in 5 or 10 years - the replacement parts may not be as expensive as we think/as they are today.

I my case, I could not buy an older Ram that would sit 4 adults comfortable and come with an 8' box so the 4th gen was really my only option if I was being honest with myself, which is why I own one now.

1998 Dodge 2500 QCLB 5spd 4x4 12 Valve - Twins/ 5x12s/ SBDD3250/Exhaust/ARP425s/o-ringed/etc.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I really would like to buy a brand new truck but, you cant even the exhuast manifolds on them... That being said they sure are pretty inside....

If you can swing the $$$ go for it but a cheapo like me will stick with my rattley old trusty (no longer rusty) 12v

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I hate fixing all the little things on my old 95 but it has been such a reliable truck I feel the need to keep it going. The best thing I did was swap the interior from a 2001. Leather, power on both sides, Nicer dash and door panels. It makes my truck feel way newer. I prefer it to most 3rd gen interiors.

It sucks body and paint are so expensive. I might eventually spend some money on that. But it is just a truck and if I drive fast enough no one can see the flaws.

1995 Auto 4x4 CCLB, He351CW, 7x10 injectors, 100 plate,pump mods, 3gsk, upgraded tranny, lockup switch,free spin hubs, guages, 4in TBE, leather Interior from 2002, onboard air. Dynoed 392/1028
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode