Loss of power what's wrong - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Loss of power what's wrong

I'm currently driving from Baltimore to Norfolk. I just had a code pop up (P0148) on my 2006 cummins. It says I have fuel over pressure. I have also lost a lot of power and my fuel mileage has gone to nothing. The first question is what is wrong with it? The second is can I nurse it back to Baltimore (4 hrs away) because I have to work in the morning? Third is where do you recommend me taking my truck in the Baltimore, MD or Norfolk, VA area?

Oh yeah I have already changed the fuel filter. With no luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
long bed quad cab 4x4 2" leveling kit, ride rite air bags, Ranch hand bumper replacement, 4 KC HILites, Ranch hand tool box, B&M turn over ball, Moto Metal 951 wrapped in 315-75R17 BFG all terrains, MRBP 5" turbo back, AFE air filter, AFE Air intake, ATS Exhaust manifold, Smarty Sr., FASS 150, and still working on it!

Last edited by westtxdiver; 02-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Diesel Head

What is the code? And what year is your truck?

2007 6.7 4x4 Laramie ATS 68rfe 5star, Copilot, Edge w/CTS, Atomizer, H&S 5" TB,8"Stacks,ATS Diff, 6" lift Caltracs, Dynatracs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesellady View Post
What is the code? And what year is your truck?

Code is P0148

2006 w/ 147k have been running smarty for about 60k with no problems. Nothing extreme

long bed quad cab 4x4 2" leveling kit, ride rite air bags, Ranch hand bumper replacement, 4 KC HILites, Ranch hand tool box, B&M turn over ball, Moto Metal 951 wrapped in 315-75R17 BFG all terrains, MRBP 5" turbo back, AFE air filter, AFE Air intake, ATS Exhaust manifold, Smarty Sr., FASS 150, and still working on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Diesel Head

p0148

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtxdiver View Post
I'm currently driving from Baltimore to Norfolk. I just had a code pop up (P0148) on my 2006 cummins. It says I have fuel over pressure. I have also lost a lot of power and my fuel mileage has gone to nothing. The first question is what is wrong with it? The second is can I nurse it back to Baltimore (4 hrs away) because I have to work in the morning? Third is where do you recommend me taking my truck in the Baltimore, MD or Norfolk, VA area?

Oh yeah I have already changed the fuel filter. With no luck
P0148 Fuel Delivery Error restriction fuel filter, transfer pump, injectors
check fca

tim barber
757-831-7451 Home Page
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Tim,

I'm sorry but what is fca? I have changed my filter. I plan to go ahead and upgrade the lift pump. I want a pump that offers better than stock filtering, but also want to be able to buy the filters at any good parts store. What do you recommend fass or air dog? Are you the Tim from industrial diesel? I

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Diesel Head

p0148

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtxdiver View Post
Tim,

I'm sorry but what is fca? I have changed my filter. I plan to go ahead and upgrade the lift pump. I want a pump that offers better than stock filtering, but also want to be able to buy the filters at any good parts store. What do you recommend fass or air dog? Are you the Tim from industrial diesel? I
Hi
Fuel control actuator is part of cp3
it has been known to get stuck/wear out .
it should click when fuel pumps run.
Genos Garage sells them if needed.
As far as lift pumps for performance mods I think most guys are running Fass/airdog kits
I have an old 100 raptor with Glacier diesel parts.
Glacier diesel has a setup where you can run basically any filters.
I am hearing some issues with airdog pumps right now, be careful.
2006 lift pump should be in tank, going to need to sump it or modify stock pickup for best fix.
I am not Tim Barber.
He helped a friend of mine out down in VA., awhile back.
Good guy, i hear.

I have attached trouble shooting for fuel system.
You need a good scanner/ fuel pressure gauges.
Your going to have to search for each specific test they get complicated.
Good luck Bob

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM

For the Engine circuit diagram (Refer to 8 -ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE -SCHEMATIC -ELECTRICAL)

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:

• While the engine is running.
Set Condition:

• A deviation between the fuel pressure set point and the actual fuel pressure.
Possible Causes

OTHERS DTC’S PRESENT
FUEL LEAKS
FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE
CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED
FUEL RETURN LINES OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGE, OR DEBRIS.
LIFT PUMP FLOW
AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM
LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE
HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
INTERMITTENT CONDITION

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 -ENGINE
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Diagnostic Test

1. OTHERS DTC’S PRESENT
With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are any other DTC’s present?

Yes >> Repair other DTC’s first.

Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER -1 (DIESEL).
No >> GoTo2

2. FUEL LEAKS
Ensure that the fuel level is above 15% using the scan tool.
Visually inspect the low and high pressure side of the fuel system for fuel leaks or damaged components.

Do you have any fuel leaks or damaged components?

Yes >> Repair the fuel leak.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER -1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 -ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No >> GoTo3

DR/DH ENGINE -ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS -DIESEL 9 -1117

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM (CONTINUED)

3. FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR
Check for a mechanically stuck Fuel Control Actuator (FCA). Using the scan tool, actuate the fuel control actuator.

NOTE: The fuel control actuator will only click when cycled off..

Do you hear a click from the actuator when you cycle the actuator off with the scan tool?

Yes >> GoTo4
No >> Replace the fuel Injector pump.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER -1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 -ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

4. FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
Using the scan tool, monitor the fuel pressure reading from the fuel rail pressure sensor at idle and at 2000 RPM

Is the fuel rail pressure reading higher at 2000 RPM than at idle?

Yes >> GoTo5
No >> Replace the fuel pressure sensor.

5. HIGH FUEL PRESSURE
Using the scan tool compare the fuel rail pressure set point with the actual fuel rail pressure.

Is the actual fuel rail pressure higher than the fuel rail pressure set point?
Yes >> GoTo6
No >> GoTo9

6. CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE
Perform the no trouble code test 9*fuel pump return flow test9. (Refer to 9 -ENGINE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the fuel injection pump pass the test?

Yes >> GoTo7
No >> Replace the Fuel pump.

7. CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED
Check the fuel drain line check valve in the rear of the cylinder head for signs of damage, blockage, or debris.

Is the check valve damaged or blocked?

Yes >> Repair the cause of the damaged or blocked check valve or replace the valve.
No >> GoTo8

9 -1118 ENGINE -ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS -DIESEL DR/DH

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM (CONTINUED)

8. FUEL RETURN LINE OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGED OR DEBRIS
Check the fuel return lines for signs of obstruction, damage, or debris.

Are the fuel drain lines damaged or blocked?

Yes >> Repair cause of high fuel drain line restriction.
No >> GoTo9

9. LIFT PUMP FLOW
Perform the no trouble code 9Lift Pump flow test9. (Refer to 9 -ENGINE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the Lift pump pass the test?

Yes >> GoTo10
No >> Replace the Lift Pump.

10. PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE
Perform the no trouble code test . Pressure Limiting Valve on the Fuel Rail for internal leaks9.

Did the pressure limiting valve pass the test procedure?

Yes >> GoTo11
No >> Replace the Pressure Limiting Valve.

11. LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
Perform the no trouble test 9*Injector return flow test9. (Refer to 9 -ENGINE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Are any Injectors leaking or high pressure connectors leaking?

Yes >> Replace or repair the leaking fuel injectors or high pressure connectors.
No >> GoTo12

12. HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
Perform the no trouble code test 9HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PERFORMANCE TEST9. (Refer to 9 -ENGINE
-DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the fuel pump pass the high pressure fuel pump performance test?

Yes Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). (Refer to 9 -ENGINE
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No Replace the High pressure fuel pump.

Last edited by rghavana; 03-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode