93 truck wont start after pump top removal - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
93 truck wont start after pump top removal

93 d250, 250000km. engine bay untouched by previous owner as far as power mods go. 4" turbo back put on by me. truck ran and started perfect until i did the fuel cone and governer spring mod.

I put a new fuel cone and 3200 spring in. Now the truck wont start. ive checked the FSS, and its good. Is there any special steps to putting the pump top on as far as alignment is concerned, regarding the levers inside. It had found that the fuel pin was a bit sticky, so i put in some lube and got it working freely. i seemed to be having issues to get the linkages inside the pump to line up correctly to actuate the fuel pin, this is why i ask about alignment. when trying to start it i've bled the lines at the injectors and had some fuel at some of the injectors but not all. and when i try to pump the lift pump on the side of the block i get a few good solid pumps on it and then it doesnt seem to pump anymore. im not sure what to try next to get this truck running again.

ive researched and read pretty well every thread regarding the subject looking for answers but im still stuck.

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

did ya back out the fuel screw BEFORE ya put the top back on? if not then ya have bent the govenor fulcrum very common mistake and results in a no start every time

for a picture look in my thread "murphy strikes again" about half way through are some very clear pics of the gov. lever and the fuel screw fulcrum, the fulcrum is the slim lever towards the rear of the pump mated to the gov. lever its the one that the pivot bolts pass through to hold both in place and keep the ball aligned in its socket in the fuel collar, if ya did not back out the fuel screw then ya bent that fulcrum lever and now it is keeping the fuel shutoff from the delivery valves

if its bent then #1 ya gotta aquire a new one, #2 the pump has to be taken apart to replace it
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

i actually just went through your thread, and i saw that picture. i do have a bent fulcrum. thanks for the reply, and your thread with the pics was very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:39 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

well the "lemonade" version is... its a good opportunity to do a full reseal of your pump and avoid the leaks later as the old o rings start leaking when ya decide to turn up the pressure go on Amazon and get a set of the bosch sockets they have MUCH better prices than I paid through snap on! like $25 for all 5 sockets versus $243 from the red and white truck... but I have had mine awhile they work with pumps on big trucks too, search "BOSCH TOOLS" a guy I race with showed me his set and the blue box they came in is even better made than my snap on box is!

I once killed a 383 stroker I had in onea my two 71 Blazers crossing a flooded river, at the time I owned a towing company and had just bought a bored/stroked 454 (496) for onea our repo wreckers, told my now ex "well only one thing to do, we need the Blazer for offroad recovery jobs so.. gotta put the 496 in it" which I did and its still in there.... what was wrong with the 383? I had fried the Mollory uni-light modual in the distributer.. just a case of bad timing it going out while I was swimming a river at 6500 rpm...all my ex knew was I brought it in limping on half its cylinders .... dark cloud-silver lining
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

just a post to up my count so i can post a link
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

is this the correct reseal kit?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

that one looks like it has all the seals except you will also need a pump to timing housing gasket , here is a DGK121 kit on ebay which contains the mounting gasket as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-VE-In...ss!85745!US!-1

his pics are showing a 4bt pump but the kit has all 6 of the distribution valve seals for a 6bt, I've bought alot of kits from this guy they are assembled in Italy he repackages them after he ads the pump to housing gasket, it will come in a sealed bag in a padded envelope via US postal service usually within a couple to 3 days, I've only had one of his kits ever show up missing anything and that was a governor shaft o ring seal... the reason for the thread ya read earlier he mailed me 4 of those o rings so if it ever happened again I'd have 1 on hand...
The Following User Says Thank You to monsoon-mech For This Useful Post:
moxiecat (11-19-2019)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
well the "lemonade" version is... its a good opportunity to do a full reseal of your pump and avoid the leaks later as the old o rings start leaking when ya decide to turn up the pressure go on Amazon and get a set of the bosch sockets they have MUCH better prices than I paid through snap on! like $25 for all 5 sockets versus $243 from the red and white truck... but I have had mine awhile they work with pumps on big trucks too, search "BOSCH TOOLS" a guy I race with showed me his set and the blue box they came in is even better made than my snap on box is!

I once killed a 383 stroker I had in onea my two 71 Blazers crossing a flooded river, at the time I owned a towing company and had just bought a bored/stroked 454 (496) for onea our repo wreckers, told my now ex "well only one thing to do, we need the Blazer for offroad recovery jobs so.. gotta put the 496 in it" which I did and its still in there.... what was wrong with the 383? I had fried the Mollory uni-light modual in the distributer.. just a case of bad timing it going out while I was swimming a river at 6500 rpm...all my ex knew was I brought it in limping on half its cylinders .... dark cloud-silver lining
AB Tools-US Pro 5pc Socket Set for Bosch VE Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps Pump Remover Installer

These? I like tools...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
AB Tools-US Pro 5pc Socket Set for Bosch VE Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps Pump Remover Installer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8V11QS..._1Zg1Db5632C9X

These? I like tools...

yep those.. annoys me everytime I see his my red snap on box is 1 piece injection molded (no specific indentations for each socket just a foam pad that was once cut into compartments) a few years ago the plastic clasps fell away so its been held by a rubber band ever since the "hinge" has been duct tape for about 10 years... these are molded for each socket plus metal pin for a hinge AND metal latches.... ohh and the sockets are pretty good too only difference I can see is the pressure regulator socket (its top one in your picture) in this kit is longer than mine and all of mine are plain black vandium steel while these are hard chromed.... but mine do say "SNAP ON" on them so I guess thats where the extra cost went...
The Following User Says Thank You to monsoon-mech For This Useful Post:
sdeeter19555 (11-19-2019)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
yep those.. annoys me everytime I see his my red snap on box is 1 piece injection molded (no specific indentations for each socket just a foam pad that was once cut into compartments) a few years ago the plastic clasps fell away so its been held by a rubber band ever since the "hinge" has been duct tape for about 10 years... these are molded for each socket plus metal pin for a hinge AND metal latches.... ohh and the sockets are pretty good too only difference I can see is the pressure regulator socket (its top one in your picture) in this kit is longer than mine and all of mine are plain black vandium steel while these are hard chromed.... but mine do say "SNAP ON" on them so I guess thats where the extra cost went...
Yeah, I inherited some snap-on from my grandfather, but I'd never buy them for what I do...

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Cummins Fanatic

sorry to hijack, but lots of good info in here. i pulled my pump top without backing off screw and my truck starts fine. just lucky or what?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Never had a fulcrum bend on me, even when installing a GSK without disturbing the power screw's lock collar.

R12.5z in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & CES-20078.5z all year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode