Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Murphy Strikes again..

4K views 67 replies 9 participants last post by  Blackduck59 
#1 ·
went to do VE rebuild on my #4 Dodge 12 valve and found one really neat deal.. the gov shaft apperantly leaked at one time (it came outa a truck with 123K miles on it!) and the previous owner loosened the gov shaft lock nut and pumped black RTV in there and tightened it back down...
Well I've got this engine in a "project" vehicle anyway I was figuring on about 1.5 hours (once its on the bench not getting it off the rig) had it on the bench at noon yesterday.... the DGK121 kit was short the Gov shaft o ring (doesn't pay to buy kits off ebay) the bore is 11.55mm well the closest in the kit mics out at 11.59mm on the shaft.. and I reassembled the pump with it mostly cause by now its midnight and I've ridden my Harley into town and tore my truck shop up looking for an o ring etc.. rode back home (this is sposed to be a project to help me relax and unwind by the way) 60 miles round trip and no luck decided use the 11.59mm

wake up this morning at 5 am thinking.. thats never going to work so pull the gov shaft enough to get to the o ring... not a single place in Tucson not one where ya can get any parts for a Bosch ve pump we have no diesel injection shops at all and the gas injection shops don't keep any parts they are all everyone of em simply parts swappers so now I gotta take a drive 120 miles to pickup 1 (one) O ring!! phoenix is the closest ya can get to any business that rebuilds diesel injection pumps and they don't do VE pumps cause they are too old and "obsolete" (like absolutely everything else on a 1st gen) so the only way they can help me is to actually compare the old dried out squared o ring (its squared as in form ed to the bore and the groove in shaft) unbelievable!!

Duramax is looking better all the time LOL

if I see Murphy I might needa park a 379 peterbilt on his azz... then backup a few times, havin 3 parts doner trucks does no good when it comes to VE pumps...

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that sucks!! I personally would have used the O-ring that was close....I've done it before with no issues. Maybe I'm a little too redneck....:D

#3 ·
His cousin is here in Aus.
Wednesday head about 20 miles to a bolt shop, came out hit the key and not a single fire. MMMM had changed the injectors about a week ago and thought 1 may have stuck and aired up the system. Called the other half to bring the old injectors and torque wrench.
Swapped them and still no start, had already gutted the run solenoid. Tow truck time.
Leave it sit for a day, came out bled the system again and fired right up.
and saw Diesel leaking from the throttle shaft. Bingo. Must have let air into the pump and caused the no start.
Had a seal kit plus the 366 spring so pulled the top and sorted it out. Could only get the odd fire out of it.. Top back off recheck it all and same story. Top off again, drain the pump right out and have a good look at the rotor and springs, nothing looking out of place. Button it back up and same story. Go cruise the computer looking for ideas, looks like Photo B has destroyed the older good threads on these. Had some basic pics of the operation that showed a leaf spring between the 2 levers that work the sliding sleev. Back out top off again and no sign there was ever a spring there but found a fixed pin (stop on the (start lever? - the one closest to the governor weights) that goes through a hole in the lever the governor spring attaches to. Found small , light compression spring and installed it. Fired right up. Today will re-fit the solenoid and need to turn the fuel screw up. then buy an airline ticket and send Murph's cousin somewhere.
If anyone has good pics of those levers I would appreciate a look.
Should have realised that it was not an air problem as it did not fire at all. Had the same thing happen about a year ago and just put it down to low fuel in the tank and parked on an incline, nose up. Also on an incline this time
Cheers Steve

#4 ·
yea it was a nice day for a bike ride... the guy at the diesel shop was so impressed that I'd ride my Harley 120 miles for 1 o ring that he gave me 3 for free.... got home and put it in and now no start.. I can't ID what this things mounted in cause yes Craig I know your watchin this forum hoping I'll slip up... suffice it to say it will be an extremely cool "toy" when its done I'm beatin my 93 up too much racin it so I'm building a dedicated 12 valve race rig BUT it will still be street legal got friends who keep tryin to figure out what I'm buildin so they know whats gonna be eatin their lunch next year at the track.... o.k keepin it in a shipping container with a tent at the door end might be a lil extreme but....
O.K this thing is a bare 12 valve I/C its outa a 92 it ran beutiful other than the ip leaking... there is no FSS its cable shutdown, I pulled the IP to do a rebuild set engine so woodrif key was at 12 o clock insteada TDC, the inside of the IP was absolutely spotless so no hard parts replaced ended up being a reseal job, and added 3800 rpm gov spring while it was apart took pics of EVERYTHING and reassembled, throttle shaft indexed exactly where it started, manual shutdown dead on getting drooling of fuel at each injector but no high pressure spray and it makes no effort to start.. not a cough nothing just spins nice and smooth... I'm at a loss for ideas, I used an inspection camera when put pump back in aimed right at the gears hole and the woodrif key was perectly centered in the slot, I did advance timing 1/8" before I tightened pump dowm and noticed that while my 2 reference marks (one on pump housing other on timing housing) showed exactly 1/8" the clean space alongside the pump from bottom bolt to the outside bolt was looking like 3/16" of shift (the engine was previously painted with pump in place so its pretty clear were it was before) any ideas?

read somewhere that people had trouble after they pulled and reinstalled the center port on head? the one ya check pump timing through?? it makes no sense to me but somewhere on the internet someone mentioned a crush sleeve.. wherever it was Thrashing cows you were on the same thread it was back a few years ago... any idea if any of that sounds familiar?

I'm sure its gotta be something really stupid I'm overlooking due to lack of sleep and chewin raw bugs all day... well better go do a patrol to see if needa unload any rocksalt in the direction of any of my "friends" :D

#5 ·
shutdown lever is only moving about 1/4" but its stop screw shows it should have about 3/4" of travel any ideas what I f##ked up thats blocking it? or do I needa tear it all apart again?

edit; well as got no other first gens out here (I live 30 miles out in the desert west of Tucson, but have another house and my shop are in Tucson... and wendsday I ran a new to me Harley out here insteada my 93 so... only truck out here is the project and a Ford f550 super duty) so... I hadda ride into town to confirm what I suspected.. I screwed up the shutdown lever somehow... as the one on my 93 is easy to move and travels about an inch or so.. while the one on this pump only moves bout a quarter inch and is real stiff....

so anyone got any guesses the Fuel screw was put in AFTER the pump was fully assembled on the bench, however I did have to back out that gov. shaft and put the new o ring on it, is it possible something got outa alignment backing the shaft out? never took it full out just enough to expose the o ring...

#6 ·
Sounds like maybe the control collar did not get seated properly on the ball off the bottom of the fulcrum lever. Had this happen to me once, spent days pulling my hair out trying to get it to fire....would sputter from time to time but would not get enough fuel pressure at the injectors to pop them off.

#7 ·
pics with top off, TC I do believe you are correct! pics look like same but are at slightly different angles with and without fuel... so once I pull pump again do I needa pull head too or can I pull GOV shaft and fulcrum bolts to reset it? I've got the special Bosch sockets etc..

Attachments

#8 ·
If you do open it up again could you check if there is a spring holding those 2 levers apart? I added a spring into mine and it runs but think the spring is too heavy, tends to have a bit of a lope at idle and now have a puff of smoke when starting.
My shut off lever has full travel but shuts the engine off before half travel. When looking at the lever on the inside it is about parallel to the face of the top cover.
Cheers Steve.

#9 ·
got it on the bench now... just gonna take a break for a lil bit then pull it apart again... I cheated last time and left fulcrum in place after I realized there were no wear signs on anything I didn't feel I needed to pull it... guess that bit me in the AZZ huh...

#10 ·
I think you can just remove the fulcrum bolts then pop the collar back onto the ball and slap it back together.

#11 ·
yea but ya know now with that Aussie asking questions I gotta take pictures too... >:) he's clearly expectin alot from an American redneck... prolly gonna poke an eye out when that spring comes flippin outa there or something now that he's shipped Murphy's cousin to my house too...

#12 ·
o.k Blackduck there is deffinetly NO SPRING between the piece the only spring involved are the two in the head and that tiny lil coil spring I made a point of gettin a pic of for ya.. anyone got any tips for gettin the fulcrum bolts back in? I've been tryin for 30 minutes and I don't have enough hands to line up both holes on both sides AND overcome the springs in the head AND opperate the socket to start the bolts in.... all while keepin the ball in its hole in the control (for ya'll that don't know that pic of the inside ya see the lil hole down there at the bottom? note the lil ball on the bottom of the fulcrum... its soooo much easier with the head off!!

edit; ok I'm gonna answer my own question for those who might attempt this... noooo it is not possible to reinstall the fulcrom without pulling the head absolutally not! there is no way for ya to get the parts aligned under the tension of the springs HOWEVER it only took me 5 minutes to do it once I accepted this reality.. maybe for Blackduck its possible after all he's upside down down there so gravity might work in his favor but for the rest of us up in the north... NOT POSSIBLE

Attachments

#14 ·
I had not thought about the tension from the springs from the head to the fulcrum plate.....my bad, but been a year or two since I was last inside a VE. ;) Funny how we will fight and fight to do something "the quick way" for unreasonable amounts of time, but know if we take the longer steps it will probably be faster....I can't tell you how many times I fail at this. :D

Glad you got it sorted out.

Reactions: moxiecat
#15 ·
no kidding.. I tried everything rigged up multiple screw drivers as levers etc.. before I accepted the head must come off.. I have one more of these to do when I get time that ones on an engine I bought by itself with plans to build it alongside the one in the "project" rig to be a backup engine.. I think when I do that one I'll do it with the intention of it bein a tutorial on VE DODGE pump rebuilds as I've noticed that all over the web there are old old tutorials which have all lost their pictures and are rendered pretty useless... I used to be an advanced weapons instructor how hard can a IP rebuild tutorial be? :wink2:

That one will have to wait though till I get some other priorities off my plate first... but its sittin there on the engine under my home shop workbench got a couple complete rebuild kits on hand since this one only required seals so... I can screw up at least twice now :grin2:

#16 ·
MM,
By the pics I think you rate as a Pro photographer as well.
Gravity doers not come into it, same BS down here.
That little spring is hard to pick up when moving the levers about, had another go in there today and could not feel much in the way of spring action.
Hooked the spring I added out and tried to start, same fault. After much cussing had a thought about where I had the fuel screw.
I had left it backed off about turn until it ran. Screwed it in and the ****** started.
Think the original problem was the fuel screw must have been right at the edge and when parked nose up was just enough for GRAVITY to hold the levers back and the sleeve open.
Much egg on face.
Just hope that was the problem, hate getting things going without a definite cause.
Would not have suspected the fuel screw as this goes very well and can smoke if the AFC is not wound up tight.
Time will tell, have 200 mile trip in a couple of days so it will get a little work out.
Thanks for the info and pics.
Agree on the loss of pics from threads as there was a reasonable one on a tear down that is no longer around.
Thanks again for the efforts.
Cheers Steve.

PS think I could pull the top cover off in my sleep now and you are welcome to Murph's cousin, you can forward him to any deserving person if you like.

#17 ·
MM,
you are welcome to Murph's cousin, you can forward her to any deserving person if you like.
Naw I'm sendin Murphys hot lil blond cousin right back to ya she done got me for today.... puttin the both of em on a boat back down under! thats the turbo boost line banjo bolt... and as someone already robbed the one off this other pump I gotta ride into town to rob one off onea the parts trucks!

NOTE; ALWAYS keep lots off spares if your gonna drive a first gen.. wasn't torqued to tight it has ben taken on/off too many times till it snapped or keep onea these on hand (2nd pic) cause your gonna need it sooner or later..

Attachments

#18 ·
Dooohhh! Man that is just your luck on this endeavor. I have a couple of those spares around, but that second pic would do me no good up North....we got an inch or so of snow last night and the temperature is a balmy daytime high of -10*C today. ;)

#19 ·
its a chilly 84*F here right now ..... just fired up that project and ran it down the county road real fast... somethin might be wrong though.... back tires kept smokin bout everytime I took off :D no license plates so could only do a fast shakedown run... no front clip either LOL just a 12 valve and a radiator support with IC the radiators mounted out back... so kinda a strange sight right now its just a chassis with a cab mounted in the middle

#21 ·
Will get a bit of a tuning run in today.
Heading into a week of 80-90 so the parts getter may get a work out.
Cannot have the rear tyres smoking around here, they like to impound your vehicle for a month for that.
Cheers Steve

Attachments

#22 ·
I get local deputys showin up at my gun range pretty regular when some tourist or snow bird from california or illinoise or other heavily restricted state is drivin around takin pictures of cactius or what have ya and hears full autofire or the .50 Barrett they are just sure some law must be getting broken.. usually the deputys blow off a few rounds we all laugh bout how ignorant those who called (thats me bein politically correct there) are and they go on their way.. when most of em see me passin 6 or 7 cars at a time on my bike or runnin some un plated creation for a test run they usually just shake their heads...

Personally I think the county oughta be sendin me a check each month theres one particular intersection I usually launch from that I've pretty much repaved with rubber over the years...

ya gotta kinda feel sorry for those up in the deep north shiverin an lookin for a log to burn >:)

#25 ·
If it is a Lazy Boy it is a bloody quick one, no luxo cruiser here. The lights ae good enough to have your roadkill rare to medium by the time you reach it.
Cheers Steve

Reactions: moxiecat
#26 ·
is definitely purty... talkin bout roadkill.. had someone ask me once bout the pistol I carry (thats pretty common out here in AZ) its onea my custom 1911 pattern in 10mm I built several of them sometime back all on Para-Ordinance frames (from up there where Thrashing cows " is shiverin away his days) they hold 16 rounds... well like I said its pretty common sight here in Az to see someone on a scooter with a handgun holstered semi outa sight (can't get around that wind uncoverin stuff) they asked me why I needed so many rounds wasn't I a good enough shot to get by with 5 or 6 rounds... told em "well sure but from the bike I gotta shoot left handed cause I ain't backin outa the throttle and sometimes its hard to hit them rabbits alongside the road at 80 mph... want me to miss my supper?"

only accident I ever had on a street bike was a D@#$#@mn rattle snake got in my way as I was commin around a corner at 50 mph out in the country I was on an ol Harley ex police FLH by the time that bike came to a stop I was ontop of it and had my .45 drawn lookin for the snake! found it dead a dozen feet away tryin to bite anything it bumped into

#28 ·
I'm a cz fan as well, competed with one for a long time back when everyone else was tryin to get a 1911 to feed 9s reliably or running Browning p35s it was an early cz75 that accidentally mighta followed me home from Canada on a bear bowhuntin trip back in the day... got a bunch of newer ones but that old one is still tickin with well over 100K rounds through it, pipes been replaced several times but I've never hadda tighten the slide or frame... as far as 10s I knew Col. Cooper he started me as an instructor and he firmly believed it was as close to perfect as ya could get for a HG round I can load em light like the FBI did and plink all day or load em hot ang go bear huntin like Nugent...

#29 ·
Now I am going to sit in the corner and sulk.
Hand guns here are near mission impossible. Anything apart from shotguns and .22's are much the same.
Cheers Steve

#32 ·
MM, pretty close to the money.
2001 Honda Valkyrie, basically a GW engine in its own frame. 6 carbs instead of 2, different cams and actually were made in Ohio.
Cheers Steve

#33 ·
No guessing on this ford, 86 Canadian build, from what I can figure was last in Pennsylvania before coming to Aus.
Well body is to be replaced with a tray at some stage.
When you start out you have heaps of room, but it disappears real quick when you come to finish off with all the peripherals.
Cheers Steve

Attachments

#34 ·
Valkyrie! I remember those... forgot all bout em but yea I remember seein one at Bike week in Daytona Florida years ago... gettin olds a PIA! that trucks a clean conversion I like the Chevy comp orange block :D is that a second Alternator or was it relocated to make room on the turbo side of the engine?

#35 ·
Two alternators and twin batteries. Twin system with linking relay if I need the second battery for starting.
Electric cooling fans and when the tray goes on the Air Con Condenser will be going back there with more electric fans.
No room in the front for the condenser.
Still trying to get a hot enough day to test the limits of the cooling system.
Turbo side is a little tight with steering and master cylinders. Have given though to twin turbos but would be fun stuffing them in there.
Cheers Steve

#36 ·
NICE!! but man you didn't just molest that ford... ya raped and sodomized it! A Dodge cummins transplant woulda been enough but nooo ya painted it CHEVY comp Orange AND flipped the steering etc.. to the wrong side to boot... and next rippin its backend right off to add a flatbed to further accomodate the DODGE engine its gettin it up front and out back both! and here I thought all them Mel Gibson early Mad Max movies was just fictional bout ya Aussies >:)

#37 ·
MM, Sorry to disappoint you but it is a Ford 5.9 ( the fast 5.9) not Dodge so sort of keeping it in the family.
Yeah we don't mind a little modifying.
Cheers Steve.

#39 ·
Don't know the history of Cummins powered Fords, but it does look right sitting in there with it's Ford logo on the ID plates.
Now I suppose I will have to go dig up some info.

Quick look says 92 to 2077 they used the 5.9 and 2007 to 2015 they used the 6.7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.