Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Whining from getrag?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  CanyonLakeCummins 
#1 ·
Noticeable with cup trick on end of shift knob. Have video but can’t post it. Not bad when clutch engaged. Recent clutch. Low fluid perhaps ? Transmission is recent rebuild.

#2 ·
Did you add an extra quart of fluid to the transmission, have you been hauling heavy since the rebuild, did you install a new throw-out bearing?

#10 ·
Quickest and easy would be as sdeeter suggested and change the fluid for known correct kind and give it a drive for a few days, if problem persists then look at your options. I always start with the cheapest and easiest things first and work up in difficulty.

Just recently my daughter's Neon had no or very little oil pressure, thought great have to do an oil pump, but decided to swap on a manual oil pressure gauge to verify what the factory gauge was reading....turned out to be a faulty sensor and she had 60lbs cold at idle. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Good question...what is the correct fluid. I won’t be towing but will be hauling a 1800lb truck camper on and again.

Defiantly changing all fluids. Front& rear diff, trans and transfer case and oil of course so I get good dates on last change.

Don’t want to get into or start a lubricante discussion, but would like to know what weights for the diffs, transfer case and transmission you folks use.

#13 ·
Did the shop put a new input shaft bearing in? Most common wear point, causes noise.

Unless you're in N. Canada or Alaska, use 5w40 diesel oil Rotella T6 synthetic stands up to the gear teeth heat +1 extra qt. to stand up to the Cummins torque. Need the viscosity to prevent shear out of the lube in the gear teeth especially with loads or high speed driving.

If not to rich for the wallet, Redline MTL 75w90.

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/getrag-g360.html

#16 ·
Still whinning

I changed fluid to 40wt oil plus a quart and it makes the same exact noise. It's almost like a white noise and it comes 100% from the shifter and is amplified by the shift knob. It happens in all gears and speeds, just louder at higher rpms. I can muffle the sound almost completely by putting my palm over the shift knob. Super annoying on long drives. Other than the noise, the transmission shifts great.

I am noticing I'm in neutral with foot off clutch it makes a noise and with clutch pressed in , no noise. Could that through out bearing be the entire problem and be causing the problem through the shift rod? Don't want to drop transmission, replace bearing and then put back together only to have same problem.

Thanks all.

-John

#18 ·
Not sure if this will work for you. So mine made the same noises. I fixed it on accident. The previous owner had mad this monstrosity of a shift lever, i hated it, but he welded it to the shifter stub. So the only way to get rid of it was to buy a new stub and new shifter stick. When i replaced the stub it was amazing how much tighter everything was. Noise completely gone. I think i got the new shifter stick and stub for around 140 dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.