Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New clutch

3K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Midnightrider1818 
#1 ·
Hey fellas. I need a new clutch. 1990 getrag 360. Basically stock except pump turned up a bit. May put a intercooler on it later. Thinking about a southbend but would consider anything. I want a good clutch though. Dont wanna come back in a year. Going to get flywheel turned and having center machined for updated pilot bushing. Also heard the stock sachs is a good clutch. Not sure where to get one of those. Plan on doing some pulling with her. I believe stock is thirteen inch right

#10 ·
#4 ·
Pulling like sled pulling? With a stock Sachs clutch? Hmmmmmmm....I doubt you would get it to hold while you spool the turbos and pre load the sled once you dump the clutch pedal your clutch will go with it if not that old getrag as well. Thats alot of shockload for a organic fibre fiber clutch. If you are sled pulling I would say south bed Feramic clutch and upgraded flywheel. And even at that you are just delaying the inevitable upgrade to an nv4500 with the 1 3/8 input.

#7 ·
That clutch wont fit, it fits a NV5600 1.375" input shaft, Getrag is 1.250." I would go with the Sachs, they are oem for your truck. I have 330k on my '91 D-250 with just a release bearing change at about 280K.

#14 ·
I would call them to be sure. Note the small diameter hub on the Sachs and Phoenix, I think the flywheel is also small in this area. I do think that it can be machined for the larger hub. It is also double the money v/s the Sachs, if that matters. I still recommend the Sachs, it will be a direct fit with no surprises.

#16 ·
ok I think I'm gonna go with the sachs from rock auto. Now I have to choices a button clutch or the other style what do you guys recommend. Also I am wanting to get my flywheel machined for the new roller style pilot bearing. Good or bad. This is the button style clutch and here is the pilot bushing I was gonna go with

#19 ·
Are you the original owner of the truck? If not, do you know the history, how many miles on it? Has it ever had a clutch change? The reason I ask, is, back in the day, a lot of clutch replacements were the 12.250". If you have the wrong flywheel for a 13" clutch, you will be better off getting a complete (w/flywheel) clutch kit. Valair and South Bend both use the roller pilot bearing in the flywheel. Again, if you don't know the history of the truck, it "might" already have the good flywheel. So, a lot of questions and not many answers, Lol

The ceramic button clutch's will hold more power but are grabby and are hard on flywheels if you let them slip. Such as starting in too high of a gear with a load. Always use 1st, loaded, with any clutch.

Here are two good clutch kits that are complete w/flywheel and roller pilot bearing. They are both organic disks. If you want ceramic, they have them too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vai-s0033/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sbb-13125-ok/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250

#21 ·
Are you the original owner of the truck? If not, do you know the history, how many miles on it? Has it ever had a clutch change? The reason I ask, is, back in the day, a lot of clutch replacements were the 12.250". If you have the wrong flywheel for a 13" clutch, you will be better off getting a complete (w/flywheel) clutch kit. Valair and South Bend both use the roller pilot bearing in the flywheel. Again, if you don't know the history of the truck, it "might" already have the good flywheel. So, a lot of questions and not many answers, Lol

The ceramic button clutch's will hold more power but are grabby and are hard on flywheels if you let them slip. Such as starting in too high of a gear with a load. Always use 1st, loaded, with any clutch.

Here are two good clutch kits that are complete w/flywheel and roller pilot bearing. They are both organic disks. If you want ceramic, they have them too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vai-s0033/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sbb-13125-ok/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250
ok how do I know if I have the good flywheel. Also i can take a couple pictures of it and post it on here but not sure how to do that. I know when I got the old clutch out it said sachs on pressure plate

#25 ·
Hey fellas. I need a new clutch. 1990 getrag 360. Basically stock except pump turned up a bit. May put a intercooler on it later. Thinking about a southbend but would consider anything. I want a good clutch though. Dont wanna come back in a year.
I've run the mods on the W250 in my sig for ~5 years on the same Sachs clutch thats still in it. Lots of hard use.... up to 2 tons in the bed... towing to 13k# gross, etc.

I was cautioned against roller pilot bearings years ago when I worked in automotive with a bunch of oldtimers. When they fail, its an ugly fail. I'll stick with solid materials when I can. The bronze bushing can eventually break to pieces, but its relatively uneventful. (BTDT; input bearing failure hammered it out)

I tend to be that guy who needs to prove something inadequate before trying something that costs more. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.