10 speed behind a 12 Valve. Ever seen it? - Page 5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My fuel tank is in the way of mounting an auxiliary transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I've read about that being a issue and not sure what Aux others have used. To me with mine on a jack as close as I can get it but obviously too low it looks like it will clear fine.

I'm going to start collecting the parts needed and eventually give it a go mounting it. Right now I need another output yoke and then a huge u-joint as it was is a medium duty truck. Also thinking about shifting it and might go electric.

92 extended cab long bed D250, Getrag 5 Speed, 4" Straight Piped, 366 Spring, DAP 5x12s, AC, Air bags, 3.54 ratio, 220k miles.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 02:35 AM

Just ran into this thread and had a thought (happens once in a while)...you don't mention what your application is for the truck. Are you hauling all the time and what kind of weight? For all the potential modification you're talking about, although fun to do, is there a simpler path? I haul intermittently up to about 16K and hated the Getrag, especially 3-4, so when I rebuilt I went with a Southbend clutch and GearVendor OD. 'Course it required cutting the driveline, and the GV won't work in 4WD, but it works 100% better for what I do (farming mostly, hauling equipment and product). I also find it great when I'm not hauling and on the hiway, it is smooooth in 5th OD at 75mph (4.11 gears). Oh, '93 W250 with mild changes including slightly larger injectors, pump bump and turbo adjustment. As I said...just a thought.
thrashingcows likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Why bother with two 5 speeds glued together?

Friends don't let friends use synchros.

Synchros are only acceptable on air splits.

Float a 13 speed's physical shifts & have fun.

Real trucks use transmissions that don't have to spool the turbo/s between shifts, but that's a story for another day.
Jimmy N. likes this.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078 all year.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerz View Post
Just ran into this thread and had a thought (happens once in a while)...you don't mention what your application is for the truck. Are you hauling all the time and what kind of weight? For all the potential modification you're talking about, although fun to do, is there a simpler path? I haul intermittently up to about 16K and hated the Getrag, especially 3-4, so when I rebuilt I went with a Southbend clutch and GearVendor OD. 'Course it required cutting the driveline, and the GV won't work in 4WD, but it works 100% better for what I do (farming mostly, hauling equipment and product). I also find it great when I'm not hauling and on the hiway, it is smooooth in 5th OD at 75mph (4.11 gears). Oh, '93 W250 with mild changes including slightly larger injectors, pump bump and turbo adjustment. As I said...just a thought.
I think I have decided on an easier way. I think what I'm going to do instead of a 10 speed which is out of my price range, is install a 4 speed Muncie SM420 behind the Getrag 360. I'll primarily be using 3rd and 4th in the SM420. If my Math is correct, 3rd should essentially split my gears in half coming out of the Getrag. Then to 4th in the SM420 for direct. I already have about 5 of these laying around and I work in a shop where we are constantly building/rebuilding driveshafts so that won't be an issue. I'll have to rig up a bearing for the front of the input shaft on the SM420 but I think it'll work for me.

Working with old iron might be the death of me. What a way to go.
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:13 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRedneck View Post
I think I have decided on an easier way. I think what I'm going to do instead of a 10 speed which is out of my price range, is install a 4 speed Muncie SM420 behind the Getrag 360. I'll primarily be using 3rd and 4th in the SM420. If my Math is correct, 3rd should essentially split my gears in half coming out of the Getrag. Then to 4th in the SM420 for direct. I already have about 5 of these laying around and I work in a shop where we are constantly building/rebuilding driveshafts so that won't be an issue. I'll have to rig up a bearing for the front of the input shaft on the SM420 but I think it'll work for me.
Depending on your hp range I donít think the 420 is a good idea. They are plenty strong for a small block Chevy and plenty of guys have broken them behind a 454 now with the torque of a 5.9 I would be worried especially with the torque multiplication of your factory trans. But still, sounds like a cool project Iím interested to see how it works out.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

From what I've heard, it's usually the input shaft of the SM420 that gives trouble. Depending on how complex it is, I might be able to build a bigger one that will take the torque. Either that or modify the existing one to help mate to the other transmission, shortening in the process and hopefully getting away from the weak points.

post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRedneck View Post
From what I've heard, it's usually the input shaft of the SM420 that gives trouble. Depending on how complex it is, I might be able to build a bigger one that will take the torque. Either that or modify the existing one to help mate to the other transmission, shortening in the process and hopefully getting away from the weak points.
Yes the one I broke in my old chev was the input shaft.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Back in the day they put under drive and over drive boxes in 10 wheelers. If I remember correct brownlight made them. You might be able to find one in a old big truck junk yard. A buddy of mine has one in his pile but I think it is only a under drive. They should handle the touqe.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1070 View Post
Back in the day they put under drive and over drive boxes in 10 wheelers. If I remember correct brownlight made them. You might be able to find one in a old big truck junk yard. A buddy of mine has one in his pile but I think it is only a under drive. They should handle the touqe.
I think your talking about a browny box. Those are great and I believe can even be had with overdrive so you could have a low/direct/Overdrive the only downside is they are big/heavy and arenít synchronized. Iím fairly certain they come in 2, 3 and 4 speeds.
93oneton likes this.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I'd be fine with just under and direct. I can go 60 at 2000 rpm in 4th. Obviously I don't pull in overdrive but 60 is fine with a trailer for me. I haven't found a Brownie yet but if I can find one on the cheap, I might go that route.

post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:12 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by myother4x4isaCJ7 View Post
I think your talking about a browny box. Those are great and I believe can even be had with overdrive so you could have a low/direct/Overdrive the only downside is they are big/heavy and arenít synchronized. Iím fairly certain they come in 2, 3 and 4 speeds.
My dad runs a browny box in a 1 ton Chevy service truck he has. I have contemplated putting one in my truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode