Cummins Diesel Forum banner

D250 4wd Conversion, with donor W250?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  9297oldram 
#1 ·
I ran a few searches on this, but haven't got my head wrapped around it yet, so I'm asking the experts for help, (I'll keep searching, but time is of the essence, both for the sale, but also because for the next couple of weeks I'm slammed at work - 7/12s are rough after a while, and my research time will be limited. But, then I would have time to take on the swap).

I have a 93 D250, extended cab, that I would absolutely love to turn into a 4wd, expedition vehicle. A little bigger tires and suspension, etc. I found a reasonably priced 93 W250 regular cab gasser, with a beat body. Can I take the 4wd components off the W250, and put them on my D250? Obviously all the suspension, axle, etc would have to move over, and I'm guessing transmission also, and probably steering box. Will the stuff bolt up? Or much fab required?

I'm not scared of fabbing to some extent - I've solid axle swapped a Toyota before, but from a kit. Cutting and welding I'm fine with, but if it's reinventing all sorts of geometry I would start to get scared. Any help appreciated...

Spruce

#2 ·
#3 ·
The gasser front axle will be a Dana 44 where the Dodge Cummins trucks use a Dana 60 front axle. The Dana 44 will hold up as long as you don't abuse it, also you'll need to make sure the gear ratio is the same as your Dana 70 axle.

#4 ·
The transmission and transfercase will not bolt up to the cummins and will not be strong enough anyways. Is the 4x4 truck 6 lug? I would not use a 5 lug Dana 44 6 lug would be ok like oldram said but I personally would look for a Dana 60.

#6 ·
Also, the trans crossmember is unique to each size frame channel. 91-93 diesel is usually 8". Gas std cabs have 6".

The main thing to swap is the engine crossmember... unless you have the means to severely trim and reinforce the 2wd one. Jungle over at ramchargercentral has aftermarket brackets for just about everything else.

#7 ·
it's been done a few ways but I will say that starting with the gasser is kind of pointless, IMO.

I've seen rust bucket 4x4 cummins trucks in the $3-4k range that would make for a much better donor. you could sell the extra engine to recoup some of your losses as well.

how you go about it is kind of up to you. the 3 main ways are:

1. you drill your 2wd frame to accept all of the 4wd components you remove from the 4wd frame OR
2. you cut from leaf springs forward and splice the 4wd frame section to your frame.
3. if you found a club cab donor that was rusted junk, body swap.

or just buy a 4wd, build it, and have 2 trucks(my personal preference, lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.