93 stored 10 years, IP is leaking like a sieve - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9297oldram View Post
Keep using that oil and you'll have a dependable truck.
definitely ever since I started adding a 1/2 ounce of 2 cycle oil for every gallon of fuel the truck runs so much smoother and quieter, my friends 2019 GMC Denalli duramax isn't much quieter.... but then when I hit that right pedal mine roars to life the denalli ... but hey for $67K he did get a 3" reciever hitch that he has to use adapters for his 2" hitch... my 72 year old mother has a 93 with automatic that was rattling like a cement mixer full of marbles I started leaving premeasured bottles of 2 cycle oil in her tool box as she always gets her fuel $20 at a time its running much smoother now... shes had that truck for 15 years and its always been the noisiest 5.9 I ever heard... now its still noisier than either of mine but much improved just from a lil 2 cycle oil...

thrashingcows likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Thanked 2,145 Times in 2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
definitely ever since I started adding a 1/2 ounce of 2 cycle oil for every gallon of fuel the truck runs so much smoother and quieter, my friends 2019 GMC Denalli duramax isn't much quieter.... but then when I hit that right pedal mine roars to life the denalli ... but hey for $67K he did get a 3" reciever hitch that he has to use adapters for his 2" hitch... my 72 year old mother has a 93 with automatic that was rattling like a cement mixer full of marbles I started leaving premeasured bottles of 2 cycle oil in her tool box as she always gets her fuel $20 at a time its running much smoother now... shes had that truck for 15 years and its always been the noisiest 5.9 I ever heard... now its still noisier than either of mine but much improved just from a lil 2 cycle oil...
Maybe your Mothers truck needs the valves adjusted, I think it calls for every 50,000 miles.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9297oldram View Post
Maybe your Mothers truck needs the valves adjusted, I think it calls for every 50,000 miles.
thats what I'm thinking about doing this weekend, as I need to replace her muffler too as a baffle is rattling around inside of it, she loves her old white Dodge she had 2 strokes last may that totally disabled her right side and has rehabbed herself back for the most part but right leg still has trouble and right arm etc.. I've tried to talk her into other easier to drive vehicles (offered her a Caddy CTS I have and my brother has offered to buy her a brand new Chevy colorado) offered to lowwer her truck or convert it to 2 wheel drive.. nope she likes it the way it is I did add running boards to make it easier for her to get in and out of and I need to modify the tailgate latch so she can open it easier (going to put a servo inside to open it electronically) so.. was thinking to readjust the valves and see if thats the last needed part to getting it running smoother..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,483 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
definitely ever since I started adding a 1/2 ounce of 2 cycle oil for every gallon of fuel the truck runs so much smoother and quieter, .
One of these days you won't have a bottle of two cycle gasoline engine oil with you when you buy fuel. What you will find is there won't be a wit of difference in sound level or engine smoothness. 2SO is a placebo, a sound level meter will prove it. All I got out of this thread is that it didn't cure the leak, which was the subject. No surprise there.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
It also must be a coincidence that my afc slide pin stuck multiple times and never again AFTER I started using 2so.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
thats what I'm thinking about doing this weekend, as I need to replace her muffler too as a baffle is rattling around inside of it, she loves her old white Dodge she had 2 strokes last may that totally disabled her right side and has rehabbed herself back for the most part but right leg still has trouble and right arm etc.. I've tried to talk her into other easier to drive vehicles (offered her a Caddy CTS I have and my brother has offered to buy her a brand new Chevy colorado) offered to lowwer her truck or convert it to 2 wheel drive.. nope she likes it the way it is I did add running boards to make it easier for her to get in and out of and I need to modify the tailgate latch so she can open it easier (going to put a servo inside to open it electronically) so.. was thinking to readjust the valves and see if thats the last needed part to getting it running smoother..
I like your Mother!

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

well my testing involved a truck that prior you could not set anything on the dash as the shacking would rattle it off and after a week of adding 1/2 ounce per gallon to the fuel ya can now actually keep the GPS where she set it (before my mom's Garmin would start nodding downward from the vibration) only thing done to it at that point was the 2 cycle oilbeing added.. didn't use any smart phone db meter to measure sound (I used to design firearm suppressors, ya want me to explain to ya what is actually needed to get accurate db readings? and no a smart phone app still hasn't replaced our $3200 meter we use (not a smart phone made with the mic sensativity thats required for true accurate db work) but.. can't get the truck into the room thats required for true accurate testing) however I did have several of her neighbors ask what I did with her truck as it was much improved while previously they could hardly hear their t.v when she would be getting her gate open and getting it backed into her carport etc.. my brother even noticed how much quieter it runs as he is constantly telling her how its louder than his International big truck... but hey ya go and play with your phone app, me I wasn't adding anything to mine BEFORE I started adding 2co to it.. what ya thought I would be amazed someday if no 2co was available??? I drug the same trailers around with it BEFORE I started adding the 2co... noticed an improvement so decided to keep adding it,

ya know kinda same way we worked out our dope sheets back at SOTIC we put alota ordinance down range and recorded the results, what worked we repeated what didn't we made note of so we wouldn't repeat it... its not too complicated
thrashingcows likes this.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Diesel Head

Was thinking about this last night and wonder if "tone" can affect how loud we perceive the sound as well?

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
Was thinking about this last night and wonder if "tone" can affect how loud we perceive the sound as well?
You could be onto something there, still though in my case there is an obvious change in the diesel “ping” noise. To the point where I had a guy at work ask me if my truck was knocking because it sounded louder since I hadn’t been using the oil in that tank.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,483 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Well the joke is on me so I guess I owe 9297 and myother4X4 an apology. I speed read the first post, then the second and jumped to a wrong conclusion as I went through the thread. Since my reply posts kept getting deleted I PMd the OP. We had a couple conversations and it seems that he is committed to fuel additives, so the facts I presented are hitting a stone wall. No matter. It's his money, his engines, his choice. What he really was looking for was someone "in the Pima county Az area who'd be able to help out if I hit a wall?"

Here's the part that is still making me laugh. He wrote " the injector pump leak was not sposed to be fixed by running 2 cycle oil it was just mentioned because I had started adding it a couple weeks earlier and thought it mighta CAUSED the leaks." That'll teach me to read a little closer.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
9297oldram (04-11-2019)
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Thanked 2,145 Times in 2,002 Posts
I'm a die hard believer in adding lube so you no matter what you ever have to say it won't change my mind. But apology accepted there have been a few times my fingers were faster then my eyes and posted something that wasn't right or pertaining to the Post.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode