S.U.R.&R. Brake Line - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
S.U.R.&R. Brake Line

I went to the parts store yesterday after Tuesday blowing a fuel line and brake line in our -30 weather and asked for some upgraded brake line. If any of you guys remember that green coated line Murray's, Mann's and O'rileys used to sell I knew there was some alternative to the regular steel they sell today. I was told the only good option was S.U.R.&R. 3/16 line. This stuff is extremely bad . I am work as a mechanic for a medium sized industrial construction company mainly heavy equipment and class 8 but was also do regular maintinence on company pickups. I have bent probably a quarter mile of brake line in my life but nothing even compares to this kit.

. The line bends WITHOUT a tool. It is almost impossible to kink and flares easier than standard line. It doesn't rust and looked better than OEM. I don't work for these guys but wanted someone else to benifit from the knowledge I gained from the small family owned parts shop that sold me this stuff. This is why I try to go to small family owned businesses that can pick and choose the product they carry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Cummins Fanatic

So, is the line bad or good , you called it both. And is it the green or not?

Do you have the name of it? I would like to try it next time, if it's good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Diesel Freak

I found their site. Here is the brake stuff.

Brake Products : S.U.R.&.R. Auto

Have you adjusted the Brake switch so it break's contact about same time the brake light's come on ?__________________
quote by simplysmn
The Following User Says Thank You to comotionman For This Useful Post:
timbeeker (01-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Diesel Head

Bad as in bad mo fo.

I've strung miles (literally) of brake and fuel lines over the years and the SUR+R stuff is the best thing going here in the salt belt. It is just as stated, bends and works easily, flares nice and doesn't rot! You southern guys may not have a need for it and itr is a bit more expensive than regular steel but well worth it.

SURR is Sending Unit Repair and Rebuilding, a small company in Akron, they are the big dealer of this stuff around here. The line material has a couple names: CuNi (copper/nickel) line, Cunifer and others. There are different brands that probably cost less but are likely thinner guage. It's copper colored but isn't plain copper line (plain copper doesn't have the pressure rating for brake lines)

The CuNi line is not without some drawbacks though. Nothing major. 1st is it work hardens quite a bit so you need to take you time to get the bends right the first time. Also support it to prevent vibration from work hardening it. This may or may not create a problem but work hardening can lead to cracks. It's also a softer metal and can be rubbed through much easier than steel line. Keep it away from moving parts and again secure it well to keep rubbing to a minimum.

This stuff has been standard on Volvos since the 80's and yes there are several 80's Volvos around here(NE Ohio) with original brake lines.

Just so you know: SURR also has plastic fuel line with quite a variety of fittings to adapt and repair plastic lines on late model vehicles. My only complaint with the fuel line kits is that the steel connection pieces can rot, I wish they made those with CuNi material as well. And the plastic quick connects aren't cheap but hey you only need to do it once.

92 d250 le creampuff, rc auto and stone stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderunner For This Useful Post:
timbeeker (01-13-2014)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

My mistake

I hope my post wasn't to confusing. It was early in the morning for me. I wanted to say this brake line is amazing. This is not the old green coated line the big box auto stores used to sell. Like stated earlier for guys like me in the rust belt I have never been so impressed with a product. I am really surprised this isn't the current standard of brake line by the way it performs and in it's simplicity durring installation. I hope someone can benifit from this review and a few of you guys can replace repair your trucks as easily as I did.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I most certainly will look for it when I need to run a brake like next.
Thank you for the info, good stuff,uh, or bad. lol.

1993 extended cab LE, 5 speed W250
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Diesel Head

Very interesting product. I appreciate you posting up the info....I will look into this seriously for my next brake line project.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Diesel Head

They have a video
S.U.R.&R. BR-EZ316 Brake Line Replacement Kit with Joseph Wathey.avi - YouTube

1993 W250 ext cab a518 (Revmax t/c) 4.10, 366 spring; timing bump; Red Head steering gear w/ Dodge Connection brace, bhaf, DAP 5x12 sac injectors
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I ran this stuff on my rig 2 yrs ago when I had the body off, and it is very nice to work with.

My only complaint is the flare nuts are still steel and fuse/rust to the line.

93 W250 reg cab, 3.55,auto,135,000,KDP killed,big fuel line upgrade,piston lift pump,4 in exhaust,1 ton rear brake upgrade,turned fuel pin,turned starwheel 1.5,full throttle mod,M+H dynamic timing spacer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Diesel Head

Brass nuts are availible for most connections. Just not through SURR.

92 d250 le creampuff, rc auto and stone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode