Ideas to consider when soundproofing your truck. - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Excellent read, kind of makes your head spin, but nicely done.

1992 W250 Intercooled, NV4500, BHAF, 4" Exhaust, THD Fuel Pin, 3200 Gov Spring, SB DD 3250lb clutch, 60# springs, HD pushtubes, S362/68/14NG turbo, HX40 Downpipe, 5x16 Bosch Injectors, Fass 150GPH, Atlas 3" front 2" rear springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Incredible info in this thread... I used much of this...

One thing I did that others might consider is to address the radiant heat that can enter the cab... I used radiant barrier (looks like a huge sheet of aluminum foil with string in it to hold it together) over the new carpet pad. I also used "bubble wrap" radiant barrier (this provides some insulation value) this was combined with a sheet of 1/2" thick rubber and a layer of carpet padding for the back wall - it did get very thick in the back and has made the back seat a little harder to fold up (but I don't do it often and it is not hard, but I wanted others to know it did change the feel).

Clarification here: I used the sheet on the floor. I used the bubble wrap on the back wall and I will use it on the ceiling (when I do the headliner).

Just somethings to consider.

BRM

UNICORN of HOLY GRAILS - '98 2500 12V QUAD cab 5sp 4x4 SB- PERFORMAX. Torktek overflow, Power Driven Diesel installed 650 hp pack: AFC Live, 5x14, 7mm DVs, 4K kit. Studs, O-ringed, 60lbs springs, Garrett BB turbo, 4" straight, SB DD w input.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Mega View Post

One thing I did that others might consider is to address the radiant heat that can enter the cab... I used radiant barrier (looks like a huge sheet of aluminum foil with string in it to hold it together) over the new carpet pad. I also used "bubble wrap" radiant barrier (this provides some insulation value) this was combined with a sheet of 1/2" thick rubber and a layer of carpet padding for the back wall - it did get very thick in the back and has made the back seat a little harder to fold up (but I don't do it often and it is not hard, but I wanted others to know it did change the feel).

Clarification here: I used the sheet on the floor. I used the bubble wrap on the back wall and I will use it on the ceiling (when I do the headliner).

Just somethings to consider.

BRM
Where did you get the "radiant barrier"?

1992 W250 Intercooled, NV4500, BHAF, 4" Exhaust, THD Fuel Pin, 3200 Gov Spring, SB DD 3250lb clutch, 60# springs, HD pushtubes, S362/68/14NG turbo, HX40 Downpipe, 5x16 Bosch Injectors, Fass 150GPH, Atlas 3" front 2" rear springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Diesel Head

E-Bay for me.

04.5 Regular Cab SLT Sport, Long Bed. NV5600, 3.74, Gear Vendors Overdrive, LSD,s front and rear, Dynatrac hubs, 5" aluminum driveshaft, Steering brace, AFE exhaust manifold, Glacier Intake, Banks intake air horn, 60 hp Industrial Injection injectors, HTT stainless turbo, 08 steering, Thuren trac bar & front springs, King 2.5 shocks, Smarty Jr., and a whole bunch of other goodies. New to me on 5/5/17, 42,300 original miles. Awesome vehicle!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefortney View Post
Where did you get the "radiant barrier"?
I got it at Home Depot or Lowes... I went looking for the foil w string a few days ago for another project and Lowes did not have it in stock (online maybe???). I didn't go to HD...

Lowes did have the bubble wrap and they had it in 4 foot wide sheets... I had some 18" wide left from the garage project for the truck...

Just FYI i have an open stud garage and live in southern Nevada... I put up the bubble wrap on the walls (inside with only a stucco exterior) and then hung the foil w string in the open attic area... HUGE AND I MEAN HHHHUUUUGGGGEEE difference... I can work in the garage in the summer afternoon (its hot, but before it was an oven)... so, I am a TOTAL believer in the radiant barrier...

You must not have it touching the exterior of the truck - there must be something else or the foil just absorbs and passes along the heat... Or that is what I have read... on the garage i had left an air gap for the roof and the walls have foil then bubbles then foil...

NOTE: If I was to do the floor again (no freakin way I am opening that back up) I would put the bubbles on the floor too. even if they pop from being stepped on they would not ALL pop and would give some more insulation to that area... I am very happy with the result and was worried about the thickness on the floor but now I realize that I could have easily gotten 1/4" more of the bubbles down no problem...

UNICORN of HOLY GRAILS - '98 2500 12V QUAD cab 5sp 4x4 SB- PERFORMAX. Torktek overflow, Power Driven Diesel installed 650 hp pack: AFC Live, 5x14, 7mm DVs, 4K kit. Studs, O-ringed, 60lbs springs, Garrett BB turbo, 4" straight, SB DD w input.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefortney View Post
Excellent read, kind of makes your head spin, but nicely done.
If you think this made your head spin imagine what it was like researching all of this and then trying to put it together in a logical manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Mega View Post

One thing I did that others might consider is to address the radiant heat that can enter the cab... I used radiant barrier (looks like a huge sheet of aluminum foil with string in it to hold it together) over the new carpet pad. I also used "bubble wrap" radiant barrier (this provides some insulation value).
I have thought of this. A larger part of the reason I attacked the club cab sides was to reduce heat in the cab. I would think that adding foil wrap on the roof (probably 2 layers if it would fit) would help the a/c to cool a lot better.

My personal choice for the heat blocking aluminized stuff would be LOW-E (brand) insulation. It has much better R values (up to R-13) than the bubble wrap at lowes. The problem is you may not be able to buy it locally. Making it worse if you can buy it you may have to buy a huge roll. The solution is to look on ebay for this or other sizes.

4' x 10' EZ Cool Automotive Heat and Sound Insulation | eBay

This shows part of why I think for insulating properties this material is among the best. Their product was used on the space shuttle.
citroen cx insulation

While I dismiss this product as a minimally effective sound deadener I accept it as a wonderful thermal insulation. It is incredibly thin and 2 layers stopped a shop heater when it tried to warm up the inside of that car.

1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. 37337 upgrade. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.

Last edited by country_hick; 08-21-2015 at 04:01 PM.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Thanks so much for putting all of this together. I've ordered a DB meter online because after researching newer quieter truck prices I'm sticking with my current noise machine and have to make it better.
I spoke with Roberto at ATP a few times and can't justify spending the money they want for their kit. $1300 is a lot of cheddar with no definitive test results per piece to back it up.
Has anybody used radiation shielding blankets like med techs use for the valve cover, injection pump, and exhaust/turbo? They are way cheaper but may be hard to fashion into what we need for our trucks.
I will still do the interior mods, but something has to give for me to take this truck on any long pulls towing a big fifth wheel.
Hick you are the man for doing all this, people like you restore my faith in humanity.

New to me 2005 Quad Cab AT 2WD LB. Bone stock except for a cold air intake. Banks exhaust brake sitting in the box ready to go on when it warms up along with gages. May do other things that will benefit towing.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Cummins Fan

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. Much appreciated!

92' W250 ext. cab 4x4 - NV4500 conversion, THD 6x13 injectors, THD fuel pin, fuel screw in one turn, WHX35, BHAF, HVLP lift pump, ISSPRO boost/EGT/fuel pressure gauges, Skyjacker 2" leveling kit, KDP tabbed, Bench seat
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Is anyone familiar with these stinger products called stinger expert roadkill and stinger carpet pad for sound deadening? A local shop is recommending that I cover my interior with both products.

https://goo.gl/photos/ssNeGutuPzKZfVJh8

https://goo.gl/photos/aVFJgT22Dr3rVu5L6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode