Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanked 816 Times in 687 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well just had the worst time ever redoing the rear inner hub seals and swapping on some new brake shoes. I had the LH rear hub seal go out a couple weeks ago, diagnosed things and put an order in to rockauto. Parts arrived friday so thought I would get to it this weekend...new inner seals, new brake shoes, new shorter intermediate cable on the E-brake system (more on that later), and a new LH E-brake cable.
Everything started well, go the driver side apart and started cleaning the oil off everything and was ready to start re-assembly so grabbed the new E-brake cable and it was not right! Checked multiple times against the current cable and nope wrong one....so did I order the wrong one or did rockauto? Well turns out I did not pay attention to where I was when i selected the rear cable....I was in the 93 Ramcharger section looking for a shorter intermediate cable when I selected the park cable. Went for a return and the shipping back was almost as much as the part....guess I have a spare for Sno-ball?? So then spent a couple hours farmerizing a fix to the current cable, couple old tractor trailer glad hand seals, and a small gear clamp got me back in business.
Then installed the new inner seals, new shoes and all the clean hardware, everything was looking fine until I slide the drum on....would not bottom out easily. Thought this was odd but just tighten the nut on the spindle and it went on OK, adjusted the bearing end play and moved to the pass side. Then couldn't get the friggin drum off! Spent another hour or more poking around to get the adjust lock loose so I could back the wheel off. Finally got that done and proceeded to swap the new shoes and new inner seal....same issue as the other side woth the seal.
By this time it was after midnight so called it a night, but that inner seal bothered me and my brain was munching on it until this morning when I got up. I just felt something was not right so I checked my order packing slip.....turns out I ordered front inner hub seals (SKF 27452)...Dooh!! So make a call to the local jobber with the seal number I "thought" needed, made the 70 min drive into town and back and went to install the new seals but thought I should try them on the spindle first.....good thing I did because these were wrong as well!! I had looked up 93 W350 inner hub seal with 12 x 2.5 rear drums (SKF 24917)....turns my axle is a factory 12x3 set-up so runs a bigger inner hub seal (SKF 28754)...so another 70 min drive back to town to swap and grab the correct seals. Once the seals were worked out it was just a few minutes to assemble everything, then about 30 min to set-up the rear drum adjustment and get the E-brake system adjusted properly.
So moral of the story, check, double and triple check your on-line orders before placing them....I am usually pretty good about this but clearly I was brain farting that day.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.