Looking for a toy.... - Page 5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #49 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone have a suggestion for a trashed lower steering column bushing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Work tonight...wiring that voltage regulator connector in and putting the wiring in wire loom...

I also figured out the exhaust isn't meant to be a straight pipe! They just didn't put the muffler in, which makes the over axle piece too short, and causes it to hit the spring and frame! So I guess I'll see if I can legally dump under the bed or if I can use what I have to sweep out before the rear tire...

post #51 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 2,037 Posts
I guess alot would depend on your local muffler laws on how it's supposed to be ran, both of my trucks dump in front of the rear axle. Also both of them have a open center muffler so there is no restrictions which is good for performance and mpg's.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Well...

Checked the front and rear differentials and transfercase, the fluids looked good (look like gear oil and it's clear), my guess is synthetic. Once I have this on the road, I will swap those out.

I greased it while I was at it...found half the joints installed backwards (zerk facing the wrong way). So I will have to knock both driveshafts out and grease those at some point. I also had to coerce the grease in the kingpins with a knocker...they hadn't been greased in a while, but the expelled grease came out clean.

Speaking of fluids, would the 727 have been atf+4 by this time or still Dex III? Does the power steering use ATF like the older trucks of that era?

I also learned a long time ago to check all the vents, and I found the transfercase vent plugged which might explain a slight weeping of the seals.

Knowing my trans mounts are coming tomorrow, I took the skid plate off and got the bolts loose for the mounts. Not a bad job, but the mounts are like jelly or soft foam rubber and the bottoms are compressed to about 1/4" thick.

I also made a bushing for the engine-mounted exhaust hanger...took the old bush and sleeve out, cut an exhaust hanger bushing to fit and pressed it home. Probably won't last, but at least I can get the exhaust hung.

And as for the exhaust, the more I study it, the more I think it is not right. Unfortunately they crimped all but one or two joints. I'm hoping once I get the trans mounts in, it has more room. I will take all the clamps off and try to twist it where it needs to be...I also ordered a very small muffler (12 inch body, straight through design) and a 90 degree sweep so that I can get it in right or dump it right before the rear passenger wheel.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #53 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
Well...

Speaking of fluids, would the 727 have been atf+4 by this time or still Dex III? Does the power steering use ATF like the older trucks of that era?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Use dex 3 atf and Iíve always used the same in the powersteering with no issues, you can use powersteering fluid but I like the simplicity of keeping things the same. Atf+4 can be used in the trans but it thinner and has additives your trans has no need for plus it is more expensive.
post #54 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myother4x4isaCJ7 View Post
Use dex 3 atf and Iíve always used the same in the powersteering with no issues, you can use powersteering fluid but I like the simplicity of keeping things the same. Atf+4 can be used in the trans but it thinner and has additives your trans has no need for plus it is more expensive.
Thanks, that actually makes my life easy...I have 2/3 of a pail of Schaeffer SAT that needs a use...

post #55 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Ordered a set of Falcon ATW3s, 315x75r16...be here Monday, probably won't install them until mid-August once I get the rest of the work done and it's ready for inspection.

post #56 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Transmission bushings are done, had to loosen the actual transmission bracket to slide it forward to get the new bushings lined up. Otherwise that was a decent upgrade. The OE pucks were jello outside and still somewhat solid inside, but they were still crushed down quite a bit.

Afterwards I installed the windshield linkage bushing, that solved that problem. I found one of the washer nozzles had the clip broken off so I JB welded it into the cowling...this isn't a show truck.

And finally, the exhaust is done. I studied it again, and with what I had existing; it was easier to pull everything behind the rear axle and dump it in front of the rear tire. I loosened the turbo clamp, attached the block mount, loosened all the clamps, moved a mount, added a new mount, made a new mount, and twisted everything into position. Turned out great! No wiggle or touching...

post #57 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeeter19555 View Post
Transmission bushings are done, had to loosen the actual transmission bracket to slide it forward to get the new bushings lined up. Otherwise that was a decent upgrade. The OE pucks were jello outside and still somewhat solid inside, but they were still crushed down quite a bit.

Afterwards I installed the windshield linkage bushing, that solved that problem. I found one of the washer nozzles had the clip broken off so I JB welded it into the cowling...this isn't a show truck.

And finally, the exhaust is done. I studied it again, and with what I had existing; it was easier to pull everything behind the rear axle and dump it in front of the rear tire. I loosened the turbo clamp, attached the block mount, loosened all the clamps, moved a mount, added a new mount, made a new mount, and twisted everything into position. Turned out great! No wiggle or touching...

Does your truck have a muffler? I find straight pipe before axle exit gets annoying on the highway.
post #58 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myother4x4isaCJ7 View Post
Does your truck have a muffler? I find straight pipe before axle exit gets annoying on the highway.
It's got a 12 incher to make it legal now...straight through with a single baffle. This truck isn't all that loud, maybe that will change under load.

I doubt I will see much highway in the truck...

post #59 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

I got the cowling back on and wipers installed, they have the wrong wipers on the arms, they are too long. They are shot anyway, just something else that makes me scratch my head...

I got a lot of the battery wiring sorted out this afternoon...I've sort of come to the conclusion that they had either a battery blow up or they had one boil over, the inner fender is pretty well acid washed, and any wiring that had a non-weatherproof connector or splice is corroded. That might explain the regulator wiring buchery. I shortened the ground wire and put a good end on it (I thought the end was loose, it fell off with a little tug), added another ground wire to the block, cleaned all the ground connections on the drivers side of the bay...found some spliced running lamp wiring that needed fixed. I'm getting a solid 14.8VDC at the battery, so that's pretty good in my book.

All in all, it's coming along. I've got three connectors that are a mystery that I need to sort out (two are AC related, I might just delete the AC as it looks to be in shambles), I have the brake light switch to figure out, and I received that kit to rebuild the turbo.

Once the brake lights and turbo are figured out, the next step is tires and inspection...a lot of it will be fix in the fly.

post #60 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Any interest in a 4-inch mid-pipe back over the axle, no hardware? It's in PA...come and get it before I Craigslist it. It's an aluminized MBRP...no hardware, just the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode