Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel guage won't go above 3/4

803 views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Postoak22 
#1 ·
The fuel gage works, but does not go above 3/4 full. What is wrong?

#2 ·
Is your fuel tank module sitting on the bottom of the tank, it's adjustable and have seen them come loose and move.

#4 ·
It goes in from the top of the tank but the bottom pickup part sits on the bottom, the fuel level sender is mounted on the side of it.

#5 ·
Thanks OldRam. I will check. And also thanks for all the previous help on the injector pump problems. The fix for the injector pump was that it was out of time. So the mechanic said. It cost over 1000.00 and took 10 days to finally get it fixed. No smoke and it starts before the key is all the way down!

#6 ·
Are you saying it cost you $1,000 for a mechanic to find out the timing was off, it would have had to jumped a tooth or two for the problem you had.

Was it the same mechanic that did the R&R on getting it rebuilt?

#7 ·
OldRam, The mechanic was the same mechanic that did the 6th injector pump RR. He gave it back to me after the pump RR and it was smoking and impossible to start. After a week or so, I took the truck back to him and that is when he found the timing problem. He said the gears were ok. I do not know what he did if the gears were OK. I thought the only timing was the gears. And yes he charged an extra $1000. He said he did other things including cleaning and setting the Bosch injectors. I think I got screwed, but the truck is perfect.

#8 ·
Sounds to me like you better find a new mechanic, if he knew what he was doing there was no way he could have gotten the timing off by any teeth. There is about 1/4" of slot where the IP bolts up the the timing case that you can use to advance the timing. You can take and move it to both ends on the slotted area and it wouldn't have caused the problems you had. He shouldn't have charged you for his mistake and sounds like he tried to cover it up by saying there was more problems also.

#9 ·
My guess is that the 1/4 slot was wrong. His fault. I was definitely over charged. But, it starts and runs perfect. Also, he gave me a written 2 year warranty. Not sure I would ever want to use the warranty because he would find things to charge me for. You are right. New mechanic. Thanks again!! Don - Chandler AZ

#10 ·
Did you get your fuel level problem fixed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.