Rear spring modification question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear spring modification question

Hey guys. Next weekend I am hoping to be redoing my rear brakes, spring bushings and putting in spring tip inserts in an effort to soften the kidney jarring ride a bit.

I ran across an article on an IH forum where the guy was talking about flipping the bottom (shortest) spring of the pack over and effectively making it an "overload" spring thus softening the ride. I seems to me that would also lower the pack a little maybe offset by spring tip inserts? Overall it seems like an intriguing idea.

My truck is a daily driver, usually empty, handles small runs to the dump, and someday I want to load a camper in the back and pull my Jeep to the trails with it. I do have airbags on it for when that time comes.

Anyway, I thought I would toss this idea out to others here that are far smarter and more experienced than I am to see what you all thought about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'91.5 LE SCLB, HE351CW, 47RH, Swiss Cheese Airbox, THD Lift Pump, THD fuel pin, 366 Spring, 4" exhaust, THD long fuel screw, timing spacer, Pwr Stroke IC, 3" IC piping, Chevy Seats, LED lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ5 View Post
Hey guys. Next weekend I am hoping to be redoing my rear brakes, spring bushings and putting in spring tip inserts in an effort to soften the kidney jarring ride a bit.

I ran across an article on an IH forum where the guy was talking about flipping the bottom (shortest) spring of the pack over and effectively making it an "overload" spring thus softening the ride. I seems to me that would also lower the pack a little maybe offset by spring tip inserts? Overall it seems like an intriguing idea.

My truck is a daily driver, usually empty, handles small runs to the dump, and someday I want to load a camper in the back and pull my Jeep to the trails with it. I do have airbags on it for when that time comes.

Anyway, I thought I would toss this idea out to others here that are far smarter and more experienced than I am to see what you all thought about it?
You may run into a bit more axle wrap by loosening the rear spring up, other than that I donít see any issues.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:23 PM
Diesel Freak

Springs wear out over time. Why not get new springs with less arch or a softer compression rating? Personally, I hate working on leafs springs. It's one of the more difficult, heavy, time-consuming jobs. You don't want to have to re-do that again any time soon - especially right away after you find out what seemed like a good idea didn't quite turn out like you expected. Then you gotta get new u-bolts and start all over again. I've done it - more than once.

1stGen:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Commonrail:

Last edited by Nadir Point; 03-31-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
@nadir Well, the short answer is that my financial situation requires me to be as frugal as possible when making upgrades. Longer answer is that I have spent about $130 for the parts to do the tip inserts and bushings after cleaning up the rust because the springs seem to be in good shape otherwise vs the $600 ish needed for a pair of basic Skyjacker springs much less anyone else's custom springs.

As stated in the first post I was reading the suggestion on another forum and thought it looked interesting. I was not able to find confirmation of anyone else doing this mod, and without a reasonable body of evidence that other folks have tried this and it works well, I am not inclined to be the test dummy. But it sounded like an interesting idea so I though I would post the question here as there is lots of experience on this board and I am interested to read the feedback.

@CJ7, I agree with you about a bit more wrap, I have no idea how prone to axle wrap these rigs are or how much more this mod would give. I have an anit-wrap bar on my CJ5 to fight that. Not sure the cost/benefit ratio is there, or even if it would do much at all to improve the ride. I am interested to find out if anyone out there has done it.

'91.5 LE SCLB, HE351CW, 47RH, Swiss Cheese Airbox, THD Lift Pump, THD fuel pin, 366 Spring, 4" exhaust, THD long fuel screw, timing spacer, Pwr Stroke IC, 3" IC piping, Chevy Seats, LED lights.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Diesel Freak

I think axle wrap tends to be more an issue on the stick trucks, with clutch grab adding a feedback loop making that worse. It was pretty bad on mine by the time I had the power up higher and before I started experimenting with traction bars.

1stGen:

Commonrail:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode