Thinking about buying a 1st gen - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:00 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mine was a conversion, so not apples to apples, but damn, I was ALWAYS working on it. Granted it never left me stranded, ever, i was under the hood every weekend. It was the main reason I sold it really. Tired of sinking money into it and tired of working on it all the damn time. That being said, if I had started out with a Cummins truck, I'd probably still have it.

1984 Dodge CCSB P-pump NV4500- SOLD
2005 QCSB NV5600, CFM+, Jake brake, Thuren 3in, Steering brace, Synergy Track Bar, Vulcan 3 micron w/ CAT UHE 416-1225, Edge CTS2 Insight, Smarty S06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input guys, it is greatly appreciated! For the time being I have decided to hold off until around the end of summer so I can earn some more money. However, I will still be keeping an eye out on facebook and craigslist to get an idea of what it will cost me to find the one I want, and where to find it. I don't need anything in perfect condition and I don't plan to do any major upgrades until after college. But I will most likely try to find one with 4x4 as I live in Iowa and if we have another winter like what we just went through then 4x4 is needed, which is why I'm not too keen on buying a car. I don't mind putting in work on it and I can still get by in the event that it is down for a while. It will be driven locally most of the time, but if I get an internship out of state then that is when it will be driven the most. I'm still not 100% sure yet but if I decide to get one I will be looking more towards a 1991.5-1993 4x4 5 speed with around 200k or less if possible, and ideally nothing more than surface rust on at least the cab. If you have any more opinions please share as I'm still trying to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to echoboss21 For This Useful Post:
93CumminsGuy (03-27-2019)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:05 AM
Cummins Fan

if ya want low to no rust then your better off to start watching listings in states that don't have harsh winters and don't salt the roads, here in AZ non rusted trucks are common as long as they were not brought here by someone migrating from the rust belt.. texas as long as they didn't come from coastal areas, new mexico stay away from colorado trucks most I've delt with were rifddled with cancer same with trucks outa utah for the most part, california if they didn't spend alota time on the coast are usually pretty rust free... Iowa your probably gonna have to work a lil harder to find low rust 1st gens...

btw mines an interesting example, the sheet metal is totally rust free and perfect BUT every part of the frame has a dusting of surface rust... we couldn't figure it out and as the previous owner has passed away nobody to ask the sheet metal screams native AZ truck then one day I took the grill out to put LED driving lights behind it and found something that I hadn't noticed.. a block heater plug... I had no reason to even look for one as the trucks so clean it was assumed to be an Az truck but... there is no place in AZ where anyone uses a block heater.... then when I took out the original bench seat I found a note just part of the litter that accumulates and gets trapped under seats.... "remember to wash under truck before parking in garage if it ends up snowing" the owner was very meticules about always washing the truck down after it was used during winter... I still don't know where it originated but if not for the block heater I'd never had suspected it was not a native Az truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

I just started searching around southern Missouri, Arkansas, etc. and have found a few decent trucks. I'm trying to search areas basically straight south of Iowa so that I can pick it up myself rather than pay to have it shipped. But I would definitely trailer it back and go through all the fluids first (at the bare minimum) before I even think about driving it that far.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Cummins Fan

bbtw, other than this recent IP leak I've never had to do anything other than put fue in my 1st gen and drive it.. its usually dragging 1 of several trailers around some of the most beatup streets and roads this side of Iraq never a whimper and I'm not a slow driver nor do I pamper the truck... totally reliable even with the leak on the IP she still purrs and will light up both rears if I drop the clutch in 2nd and bark 3rd if I stay in the throttle...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Diesel Head

Keep a written list of the trucks you find for sale, and all the details, condition, options, etc, so you can easily go back and see what the asking/sold price was. I do this whenever I am looking at a major purchase, and I research a wider area then I plan on looking for the purchase in as well....just to have an idea of what the "general" pricing is on the item.
4everlearning likes this.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
Keep a written list of the trucks you find for sale, and all the details, condition, options, etc, so you can easily go back and see what the asking/sold price was. I do this whenever I am looking at a major purchase, and I research a wider area then I plan on looking for the purchase in as well....just to have an idea of what the "general" pricing is on the item.

Excellent idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 W250 Intercooled, extended cab, Automatic, 4x4 Conversion, 2" body lift, Lizard Skin throughout cab, 3200 spring, THD pin, 3.54 Gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode