My W250 Project - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My W250 Project

Iíd wanted a 4wd first gen Cummins for quite a while but living in the UK Iíd accepted Iíd never own one.
We have a few American trucks over here, most are Ĺ ton gas trucks. Thereís a few 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen Cummins and any older diesels are usually Fords. The only first gen dodges Iíve ever seen over here are D250, D350 diesels or W150 gas.
By complete chance I found my perfect spec W250 parked up in a timber yard only about 10 miles from my house in September 2017.

I went to talk to the guy and he told me it wasnít for sale but was happy to show me it and talk for hours, it was a 92 Texas truck, 1 US owner and then he imported it back in 2003 I think. He ran it as his daily up until 2014 when it was getting a bit tired. He replaced it with a 2006 Chevy Duramax and planned on restoring the first gen one day but he was on with a few other projects, 40ís hot rod and 49 Chevy I think.
I left him my number if he ever changed his mind, left and forgot about it.
Just 3 weeks later he called me and said he realised heíll never get round to restoring it and wanted it to go to a good home so heíd sell it, so we did a deal.

Cleaned up quite nice.

Condition wise it was ok for the year. Mileage read 260k if I recall but he said it stopped clocking up a while ago so will be considerably more.
Frame was very rusty, but fairly solid and hopefully wouldnít need any welding. It had been painted a few years before but must not have been prepped very well. The bed seemed ok but had some lacquer peel, the tailgate wasnít good. The cab was the worst though, driverís side inner and outer rockers were rotten and both foot wells. Roof was peeling/bubbling. Driverís fender was rotten and passenger was dented. Both inner fenders werenít good but I may be able to rescue them. Every bush and ball joint and half of the UJís on it were trash.

2015 VW Amarok
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7, RHD converted
1992 W250, red/white, automatic, currently undergoing restoration
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemmw For This Useful Post:
thrashingcows (02-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

The plan with this truck was to make it tidy but not so nice that I wouldnít want to drive it. I didnít want to paint the full truck, only what needed it. I wanted it to be totally rust free and not have to worry about rust ever again with it, itíll be an occasional driver when itís done. I wanted it to look original but be lifted slightly with some decent sized mud tyres. I wanted a bit more power but had no plans to touch the transmission so Iíd settle with intake, exhaust and mild pump work. Heíd had the tranny rebuilt a few years ago but just with standard parts.
It sat for about a year before I got chance to touch it, first removing the bed and stripping the front end.

I then realised I better do some shopping.
I didnít want waiting for parts to hold me up so without been very deep into the project and having never worked on anything like this before I had to figure out everything I was going need and order it all in one order before I needed it. I knew I wouldnít account for everything but I tried my best. One upside was I wouldnít have any issue with getting engine parts; 6BTís were built over here and put into DAF 45ís in the 90ís so thereís loads of used parts about and new parts easily available off the shelf.
I ended up spending $4000 on parts online, then I bought some space in a container leaving Miami. So I shipped everything there and 6 weeks later everything arrived (apart from a few small items that were delivered late and missed the ship so will have to come in a later container)
Finding the best value items was important as I had an additional $2500 to pay in shipping and taxes once it all arrived over here.
This pile (minus 2 boxes that werenít pictured) set me back $6500.

Instead of listing everything I bought Iíll just show things as I fit them, these are the wheels I ended up getting though. 16 x 8 polished Ultraís with a -6 offset. Hopefully these will give me a fitment with the edge of tyre level with the edge of the fender, Iím wanting the tyres stuck out as much as possible without them protruding the body. This is illegal over here and Iíve been pulled over by the police once in the past for it and just got a warning but they can make you either change the wheels or fit fender flares which I donít want to do.

2015 VW Amarok
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Diesel Head

Nice, I enjoy seeing stuff like this. I'm in. This will be great to follow. I absolutely love my truck with mild pump tuning.

-2008 6.7l QCLB 4x4,g56,J-67(23ME),valair DD,64.5/72/14,2nd gen mani,arp 425's,boost and pyro... -1993 W250 CCLB...
-1996 brewed s14 w/ 386 rwhp & 341 rwtq @17psi twinscroll baby!!!(gt3076r)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Next I lifted the cab off, at a later date Iíll be making a frame that the cab fixes to so it can be moved easily with a forklift and also mountable to a spit so the welding can be done better/easier

I pulled the engine, transmission and transfer box in one. I was really impressed with the condition of the turbo, I presume itís original and taking the mileage into account itís super tight. Iíve pulled a lot of turboís before and they always have some play or end float but this has nothing.

Next I dropped the tank, I was nervous as I knew if anywhere would need welding it would be inside the frame blocked by the tank. I think there must be a fault with the level float or the wiring as the gauge said an empty tank but think thing was heavy as! Felt half full! The frame was the worst behind the tank but still not too bad.

Although I should have been focusing on doing the dirty boring jobs I decided to order some tyres and get them mounted. I went for Cooper Discoverer STT Pro mud terrains Ė 315/75R16. These work out at 35 x 12.5. I chose these because I thought 35Ē was a good compromise and the Cooperís were the cheapest of the reputable brands.

Doing shiny bits definitely motivates me to get the dirty jobs done.
While the axles were still on I pulled the frame outside to wash it off, an hour and a half with the heat turned up on the pressure washer and a rotating nozzle cleaned everything up. Iíll give it another quick wash when itís stripped bare.

That brings me up to date. Iíll probably next update when Iíve blasted the frame, Iíll be doing it outside so just need to wait for a day where it isnít raining and the temperatures above freezing for getting some primer on it the same day. Might be a while as February in England itís usually raining or snowing and if it isnít then itís too cold to be painting as none of our sheds are heated.

2015 VW Amarok
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Diesel Head

Im jealous. Too busy and broke to ever get anything actually done on mine.

1993 W250 ext cab a518 (Revmax t/c) 4.10, 366 spring; timing bump; Red Head steering gear w/ Dodge Connection brace, bhaf, DAP 5x12 sac injectors
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I got chance this morning to strip everything off the frame. There were a lot of pieces I didn't even realise were removable before I washed it off because there was so much dirt and rust covering up the nuts.
I went round with the wire wheel on the grinder cleaning all the threads up then oiled everything so nearly all the nuts came undone. The only 2 that snapped off were on a brake line bracket.
I did have to break the grinder and the slitting disc out for the front bolt on the front drivers side leaf spring as it was seized into the centre of the bush.
When I had it stripped bare I took it back outside, flipper it upside down and gave it all another good wash off.

Next I'll burn the 2 front leaf spring bushes out of the frame then it'll be shot blasting time.
N1NJ4ON3R and thrashingcows like this.

2015 VW Amarok
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Diesel Head

Congrats on finding the truck so close to home!! I know we over here take for granted the ability to find the truck we want and then get all the parts fairly easily.....you sure have a lot of extra costs and effort to get the parts you need.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 PM

WOW great work!!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I found a good sized crack across the top of the frame next to where the steering box mounts, I'll weld this up and grind it back after blasting.

So after about 5.5 hours of blasting I was happy with how I'd got the frame to. What a s**t job shot blasting is.

First it got 2 coats of zinc phosphate primer

Then 1 thick coat of gloss black enamel paint

This isn't all it'll be getting, there will be more protection added to it soon.

Although a horrible job you've got to love the results blasting bring, here's some before and afters of the worst areas, inside the frame where the tank sat and the rear drives side spring mount.

N1NJ4ON3R and thrashingcows like this.

2015 VW Amarok
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Diesel Head

Nice job and looks amazing!

That crack by the steering box is very common, you might want to pick up one of the reproduction steering box braces to help stiffen that area.

Power Steering Brace

I have one on my crewcab and while I can't say for sure if it helps, I know for certain it ain't hurting anything by being there and the bit of peace of mind it gives is worth it.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 350K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
The Following User Says Thank You to thrashingcows For This Useful Post:
N1NJ4ON3R (02-16-2019)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Diesel Head

I actually seen that crack on a friends 93. I posted a picture awhile back. He also purchased the same brace after he burned in the fracture.

-2008 6.7l QCLB 4x4,g56,J-67(23ME),valair DD,64.5/72/14,2nd gen mani,arp 425's,boost and pyro... -1993 W250 CCLB...
-1996 brewed s14 w/ 386 rwhp & 341 rwtq @17psi twinscroll baby!!!(gt3076r)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
Nice job and looks amazing!

That crack by the steering box is very common, you might want to pick up one of the reproduction steering box braces to help stiffen that area.

Power Steering Brace

I have one on my crewcab and while I can't say for sure if it helps, I know for certain it ain't hurting anything by being there and the bit of peace of mind it gives is worth it.
I've not seen those before, thanks. I may make something similar and fit it on.
I've got some shiny parts from off road design that will involve me moving my steering box
So with the box moved further back there should be less stress in that weak area anyway
thrashingcows likes this.

2015 VW Amarok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode