bleeding first gen brakes, solved - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dieselburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
bleeding first gen brakes, solved

I just wanted to share my issue and solution. I recently bled the brakes to correct a slight pull to the right, and after using my myti-vac bleeder, I ran into a common mushy pedal that traveled to the floor and causing the brake light to come on. I bled all 4 corners, starting farthest and working back to the front driver side like always, but I did fail to bleed the abs valve while doing this. This is when the mushy pedal became a issue. I read about a lot of people bypassing the abs valve to remedy issues when bleeding these brakes. My abs had no issues until I tried to bleed them with the vacuum bleeder.
So, instead of bypassing the abs valve, and going Ole School, I decided to manually bleed the brakes with the a clear bottle and hose to prevent air from returning back to the lines. I started with the farthest rear brake, then bled the abs valve, and working back to the front two. My brakes are now perfect. No pedal traveling to the floor, and no abs/brake light. I just wanted to share my experience that a vacuum bleeder will not work in my situation, and manual, pedal bleeding is the best way to restore brakes when mushy. ABS valve bypass is not always required. Maybe this will help someone, and it can all be done by yourself, no special tools. Chase

Rx7man likes this.

93' d350-sold
96' 3500 nv 4500, 3.73 gears, 100 plate home grind, 3 gsk, k&n drop in, 3" straight/custom muffler, 27 psi boost, working truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburn View Post
I just wanted to share my issue and solution. I recently bled the brakes to correct a slight pull to the right, and after using my myti-vac bleeder, I ran into a common mushy pedal that traveled to the floor and causing the brake light to come on. I bled all 4 corners, starting farthest and working back to the front driver side like always, but I did fail to bleed the abs valve while doing this. This is when the mushy pedal became a issue. I read about a lot of people bypassing the abs valve to remedy issues when bleeding these brakes. My abs had no issues until I tried to bleed them with the vacuum bleeder.
So, instead of bypassing the abs valve, and going Ole School, I decided to manually bleed the brakes with the a clear bottle and hose to prevent air from returning back to the lines. I started with the farthest rear brake, then bled the abs valve, and working back to the front two. My brakes are now perfect. No pedal traveling to the floor, and no abs/brake light. I just wanted to share my experience that a vacuum bleeder will not work in my situation, and manual, pedal bleeding is the best way to restore brakes when mushy. ABS valve bypass is not always required. Maybe this will help someone, and it can all be done by yourself, no special tools. Chase
Glad you got it figured out!!!! Iíve had similar issues with a mighty vac on multiple vehicles. Now I use it to get most of the air out then manual bleed to finish.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have been bleeding my brakes with a old water bottle and a length of old vacuum hose for many years now with no issues, can do a complete vehicle in about 30 min. Some times the simple ways are still the best.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 370K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode