Chris' 1st Gen Build Up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile Chris' 1st Gen Build Up

Hello all. It has been a few years since I have owned a real truck and I am thrilled to say I am now the proud owner of a 1991.5 Std Cab Ram W250 LE! Really clean body (no rust), interior needs work and as far as I can tell an almost totaly stock engine and drive train. I am new to diesels but not to wrenching. Computer geek by trade, mechanic fabricator by hobby.

This weekend I have spent a bit of time under the hood trying to figure out what I have and what mods have been done to the truck, developing a plan of action for it, cause mods cost money and that stuff just doesnt grow on trees.

As it sits now (I believe) I have
  • 12 valve, intercooled, VE pumped cummins
  • H1C turbo w/ 21 cm exhaust houseing.
  • Stock airbox with a round no name filter
  • 3 inch downpipe and exhaust cut off under the bed w/ muffler
  • 518/46RH tranny that last owner claims was rebuilt in the past
  • D60/D70 3.54 std axles w/ 265 tires
  • Antilock brakes? Some VIN lookups say 4WALB some say none. I am not sure what to look for to confirm one way or the other or inbetween.

The rest of today will be spent changing engine, diffs and trany oil. Air, oil and fuel filters, and trying to clean up the inside a bit. If I can get to it, drill some holes in the airbox and pull the speedo signal modifier at the transfer case and see if that fixes the speedo from reading 10% fast.

This is a long term truck for me. It will be my DD when I cant commute in the wifes car, home truck duties, pull my '76 CJ5 to trails and some day a camper and CJ5 to distant trails. So here is the mod list as I see it from reading on these forums.
  • 4" exhaust from Diamond Eye
  • Gauges (Tach, EGT, Trany Temp, Boost)
  • Turbo upgrade
  • Fuel pump turn up
  • Injectors
  • Seats, carpet, some sound proofing
  • 47RH some day
  • F/R LSD some day

After reading around in these forums for the last several days, this is a good group of people and I look forward to any help I can get or give.

Thanks C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'91.5 LE SCLB, HE351CW, 47RH, Swiss Cheese Airbox, 5x12 VCO injectors, THD Lift Pump, THD fuel pin, 366 Spring, THD long fuel screw, timing spacer, Hamilton 168/208 cam kit, Pwr Stroke IC, 3" IC piping,4" exhaust, Chevy Seats, LED lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Diesel Freak

welcome, sounds like a man with a plan. and don't be shy...we wanna see that Dodge! an no guff about it not being pretty yet, I show off my multi colored truck.

'81 D150
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Ok, air and oil filter changed. Engine, differentials and transfer case oil changed. Went to change the tranny fluid and could not find a drain bolt.... a little more reading on the forums and "oh yeah, that needs to be done by someone with a machine"

Did get six 2" holes punched in the stock air box so the beast should be breathing fine now. Got the steering wheel turned right side up from a PO doing some sort of steering work. Tried to fix the speed sensor from reading 10% over but tightened the nut to much and split it. x2

Fuel filter will be next weekend, but I gotta figure out how to fill it up prior to putting it back on. Don't normally keep diesel in a jug in the garage. How do you all do it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'91.5 LE SCLB, HE351CW, 47RH, Swiss Cheese Airbox, 5x12 VCO injectors, THD Lift Pump, THD fuel pin, 366 Spring, THD long fuel screw, timing spacer, Hamilton 168/208 cam kit, Pwr Stroke IC, 3" IC piping,4" exhaust, Chevy Seats, LED lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Diesel Freak

I keep about a gallon of fuel around just for filter changes. I haven't messed with the fluid on my trans, my Uncle changed that when he got the truck,but usually with an autmatic you just drop the pan on the bottom (messy) and change the filter.

'81 D150
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Um yeah, I have had my fill of messy this weekend. I am pretty sure Jiffy Lube can handle the tranny and the radiator flush.

Here are the only pics I have of my beast so far. PO repainted it black with silver fleck (Raiders Colors), but it came out looking like an orange peel. They didn't sand or clear coat. so I am thinking of stripping it down and redoing it in a dark blue. Maybe use Monstaliner or Raptor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160628_073933.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	554249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160628_073952.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	554257  

post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 AM
Diesel Head

What I do with any auto trannies I service is to leave one bolt on the front and back of the pan, and remove the rest. Then loosen one of them almost all the way off, then just start to loosen the other....then crack the pan...if it hasn't loosened on it's own. The fluid will mostly drain out the side with the loosened bolt.

Once the pan is off I then install an aftermarket drain plug....you can see one I recently installed here....post #17

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89...charger-2.html

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 370K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Thanks. Does that seem to get all the fluid in the cooler and TC as well? May I ask why you didnt put it in the lowest part of the pan (the little valley right next to the drain)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
What I do with any auto trannies I service is to leave one bolt on the front and back of the pan, and remove the rest. Then loosen one of them almost all the way off, then just start to loosen the other....then crack the pan...if it hasn't loosened on it's own. The fluid will mostly drain out the side with the loosened bolt.

Once the pan is off I then install an aftermarket drain plug....you can see one I recently installed here....post #17

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89...charger-2.html

post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJ5 View Post
Thanks. Does that seem to get all the fluid in the cooler and TC as well? May I ask why you didnt put it in the lowest part of the pan (the little valley right next to the drain)?
You run into clearance issue around the filter in that area....it does stick up into the pan by about 3/8 to 1/2". I have installed a dozen or more of these over the years...and this is the best spot for them that I have found.

You get most of the fluid out.....there is a little left in the pan due to the height of the drain, but it is below the rail of the pan. So I just carefully pull the pan down, then tip it into a container....very little mess.

The cooler and TC will drain back "Slowly" through the valve body, but if you want it to drain faster then pull down the valve body and most of the cooler and TC will drain out within 10-30min. You need to remove the shift linkage from the selector shaft to pull the valve body down....and since you did that, you may as well replace that seal on the selector shaft.

You will not get all of it out, but you will still get more then jiffy lube ever will with there "service"...and I use that term loosely. I have had some nasty fluid in 727's over the years, and just did as I mentioned above, then drove for a month and did another service, then went 6 months and did another service....and finally one more at a year.....tranny fluid was clean and clear by then and all the crud had been filtered out.
myother4x4isaCJ7 likes this.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 370K Km's, hydroboost, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Diesel Freak

now what fun is that?

'81 D150
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Ok, so when you say "drain back slowly", I am hearing "pull the plug, go get a beer, eat dinner, sleep, go to work and come back the next day, by that time the cooler and TC should have drained." Which I am ok with, hmm maybe 2 beer.

This may be loaded question but the Jiffy Lube (or oil service of your choice) transfer pump doesn't really pull and change all the tranny fluid like they claim?

post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Over the last few weekends I replaced most of the front end. Both axle u joints, both tie rod ends, drag link and 4 spring bushings. When I read that last sentence, it doesn't sound like much, but oye vey what a workout removing those parts by yourself that haven't been touched in 25 years. Rides and steers much better now though, well worth it. Also got my new piston lift pump and fuel filter installed.

Next on the short list.

Alignment
Order up a Diamond Eye 4" w/ muffler
Install the THD fuel pin and gov spring
Install a 351 turbo and the DE exhaust.
mknittle likes this.

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

And the short list moves down the long list a bit.

Alignment - DONE
Order up a Diamond Eye 4" w/ muffler - Done
Install the THD fuel pin and gov spring - Done

NEXT
Install a 351 turbo and the DE exhaust.
Gauges
M&H Timing Spacer
Tune the pump
Tighten up the tranny w/TQ converter
Pull the bed, knock out some dents and weld up the separating corners that the PO hid with bondo
Bed Liner
Tool box
Interior
mknittle likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode