Hello all. It has been a few years since I have owned a real truck and I am thrilled to say I am now the proud owner of a 1991.5 Std Cab Ram W250 LE! Really clean body (no rust), interior needs work and as far as I can tell an almost totaly stock engine and drive train. I am new to diesels but not to wrenching. Computer geek by trade, mechanic fabricator by hobby.
This weekend I have spent a bit of time under the hood trying to figure out what I have and what mods have been done to the truck, developing a plan of action for it, cause mods cost money and that stuff just doesnt grow on trees.
As it sits now (I believe) I have
- 12 valve, intercooled, VE pumped cummins
- H1C turbo w/ 21 cm exhaust houseing.
- Stock airbox with a round no name filter
- 3 inch downpipe and exhaust cut off under the bed w/ muffler
- 518/46RH tranny that last owner claims was rebuilt in the past
- D60/D70 3.54 std axles w/ 265 tires
- Antilock brakes? Some VIN lookups say 4WALB some say none. I am not sure what to look for to confirm one way or the other or inbetween.
The rest of today will be spent changing engine, diffs and trany oil. Air, oil and fuel filters, and trying to clean up the inside a bit. If I can get to it, drill some holes in the airbox and pull the speedo signal modifier at the transfer case and see if that fixes the speedo from reading 10% fast.
This is a long term truck for me. It will be my DD when I cant commute in the wifes car, home truck duties, pull my '76 CJ5 to trails and some day a camper and CJ5 to distant trails. So here is the mod list as I see it from reading on these forums.
- 4" exhaust from Diamond Eye
- Gauges (Tach, EGT, Trany Temp, Boost)
- Turbo upgrade
- Fuel pump turn up
- Seats, carpet, some sound proofing
- 47RH some day
- F/R LSD some day
After reading around in these forums for the last several days, this is a good group of people and I look forward to any help I can get or give.
'91.5 LE SCLB, HE351CW, 47RH, Swiss Cheese Airbox, 5x12 VCO injectors, THD Lift Pump, THD fuel pin, 366 Spring, THD long fuel screw, timing spacer, Hamilton 168/208 cam kit, Pwr Stroke IC, 3" IC piping, Mishimoto rad, 4" exhaust, Chevy Seats, LED lights.