Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   89-93 Non-Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/)
-   -   Backing plate for e-brake (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/1846146-backing-plate-e-brake.html)

92blackedout 11-20-2015 12:13 PM

Backing plate for e-brake

I tried getting my parking bake back to life but found that the cable wont even attach to the backing plates because the holes are worn out so bad. And apparently in Canada you can't even buy them anymore....according to the dodge stealership. Can someone tell me where I can get these backing plates?????

thrashingcows 11-20-2015 04:24 PM

The E-brake cable have at least 3 prongs that flare out and grab the backing plate when pushed through the hole. I find it hard to believe that those holes have gotten so worn out that they new cable would not be able the attach?

Do you have a pic of the worn out backing plates? I would just put a bunch of small welds around inside edge of the hole, then grind smooth and hand file them to the correct diameter....done!

snocommander 11-20-2015 06:22 PM

Find the right sized washer that will fit over the cable and weld or have it welded to the backing plate.

thrashingcows 11-20-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snocommander (Post 21256242)
Find the right sized washer that will fit over the cable and weld or have it welded to the backing plate.

Yup good idea....you could do that as well. :thumbsup:

9297oldram 11-21-2015 07:06 AM

You could weld a washer on the outside and put a hose clamp with a piece of rubber hose around the part on the inside to help hold it in place.

Also I sent you a PM.

Ruderunner 11-21-2015 07:32 AM

I've seen some vehicles with backing plates punched for cables to come in from either side, meaning the backing plate will fit drives or passenger side.

Worst case I'd swap thw backing plates side to side and drill a new hole for the cable.

OTOH those backing playes are readily availible from many different trucks, pretty much any 8 lug Dodge p/u from 72 to 93 and vans till about 98. Beware the backing plates for the 3.5 inch wide shoes are different. Theres also lots of Ford trucks that use the same plate.

I used 77 D60 backing plates on my 89 D70 axle with no problems.

92blackedout 11-21-2015 09:01 AM

I tried getting the mechanic in town to just weld a washer on the about a year ago when we did brakes but he said he didn't feel good about it. But I got stopped by the cops the other day and they are sending my truck for a safety because it has rust on it. what a joke, the only rust on the truck is the tail gate. So now I know I have to fix the e-brake. thinking I am just going to have to use another mechanic.

9297oldram 11-21-2015 11:36 AM

Any chance you can post a picture?

u2slow 11-22-2015 12:21 PM

1stgens use the same funky style cable hole as many Fords. The guys drilling new holes or welding washers are thinking of 2ndgen, or Chevy brakes where the hole is round.

country_hick 11-22-2015 08:46 PM

A hand file (perhaps a chain saw file) can make a washer hole the right shape.

92blackedout 11-23-2015 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry it took so long, took me a long time to figure out how to upload a picture. So this is the drivers side, the other side has no gap at all besides the cable. you guys figure there is enough meat on these old girls to put down a good weld?

92blackedout 11-23-2015 08:54 PM

Has anybody else ever had this happen to them?