Looking to buy a 1st gen / just bought a 1st gen? READ THIS - Page 8 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Newbie
 
SlammedYam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
thanks man! Ill go look at it this weekend.

SlammedYam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Diesel Head
 
myother4x4isaCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dufur oregon
Posts: 4,185
Thanks: 42
Thanked 376 Times in 355 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvblanc01 View Post
My two cents would be to (if you can afford it) buy it and then decide if you want to keep your ford as a daily. First gens are really cool, but you'll be losing a lot of the creature comforts of your 2006 ford! I personally have my first gen as a fun weekend toy and cruiser, and then use my 2006 ram as a primary work vehicle/road trip vehicle.

First gens are loud, ride rough, and are totally unrefined. Those are also the things that make them so damn fun to own. It's literally a tractor engine stuffed into an old dodge truck haha.

The price on the truck you're looking at sounds really solid, so go test drive it and see what you think. I know a lot of people that happily daily drive first gens with zero regrets!
I daily drive my first gen and have no desire to buy anything else!!!! Gets ok mileage, has good power (I've surprised a few newer trucks pulling up a steep hill) and is a conversation starter, everyone has a story about these trucks kind of like owning an old bug. If you've owned an old vw you would know what I'm talking about. Literally my only complaint is the rough ride but that will be fixed with new springs when the budget allows.
myother4x4isaCJ7 is online now  
post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak
 
avvblanc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 900
Thanks: 255
Thanked 190 Times in 128 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oh yeah I also forgot to add that with a first gen (especially a 2wd one) you'll be seeing some major mpg improvements over your 6.0 ford. I usually see between 17 and 23 mpg out of my 1993 d350. That's driving below 70mph though.

Instagram:@AVVBLANC 2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
avvblanc01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
SlammedYam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Okay so I took the plunge today and bought a 92 D350 shows 194,000 miles and odometer works. No rust to speak of. Power steering pump leaks and runs out of fluid after about an hour give or take. It won't go over 55 mph down the road so I think there is a transmission issue. Also, there is an oil leak from somewhere lower in the engine but haven't found it yet. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094_1502070022189.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	683090  
SlammedYam is offline  
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Diesel Head
 
myother4x4isaCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dufur oregon
Posts: 4,185
Thanks: 42
Thanked 376 Times in 355 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You probably have no overdrive, testing and adjusting the tps would be a great place to start
avvblanc01 and SlammedYam like this.
myother4x4isaCJ7 is online now  
post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak
 
avvblanc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 900
Thanks: 255
Thanked 190 Times in 128 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedYam View Post
Okay so I took the plunge today and bought a 92 D350 shows 194,000 miles and odometer works. No rust to speak of. Power steering pump leaks and runs out of fluid after about an hour give or take. It won't go over 55 mph down the road so I think there is a transmission issue. Also, there is an oil leak from somewhere lower in the engine but haven't found it yet. Thoughts?
I'll second the OD probably being the culprit. PS isn't too bad to replace, just make sure you get a quality unit and not a reman. As for the oil leak, unless you're loosing a noticeable amount of oil, I wouldn't worry about it. These 12v Cummins like to sweat haha

Congrats on the new rig!

Instagram:@AVVBLANC 2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
avvblanc01 is offline  
post #91 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Newbie
 
Last First Gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey all, I bought a 93 W250 Cummins a little over a year ago and have been running into some problems with it... I only recently started having the money to get it into the shape she deserves to be in. She's got a fairly new paint job (bright red), 4" body lift and stock pretty much everything else.
What I've done to it
So far, I've had to replace my turbo - not upgraded, just new. Alternator and battery (interstate 800 CCA). I saw some brake dust on my front right wheel the other day to find out I now need to replace my rotors and brakes (ordered from RockAuto and are in shipping ATM). I've also replaced my ignition lock cylinder, and ignition switch.
Problems I'm having
-I am having an electrical problem that is giving me (and the wife) a serious headache, where the old girl is draining battery while it's off. I can't leave it for more than two days without needing a jump. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is draining it. I know I have a short in my horn (it blows the fuse when I hit the horn) but I am nervous to take apart the steering column to find out what it is.
-My wiper arms are going limp (when I drive over 50, they are not fully seated on the windshield anymore) and no one has OEM replacements for them.
-My headlight socket has a broken plastic adjuster clip and I cant seem to find a new one so she doesn't look like she has a lazy eye anymore.
-My electrical system pulses (brightens and dims)
-Whenever I use my dash or headlights, the buzzer goes off - even when the engine's running.
What I want to do to it
-I desperately want to get rid of my stock exhaust system (it was designed horribly) and so it sounds better.
-I would love to get more HP out of her, but I don't want my MPG to get any worse than it already is.
-I want to change my body lift to a suspension lift
-Clean up the interior (new door panels, door seals, carpet, roof liner, etc.)

If anyone has an answer to the problems I've been having, please share! It would help the wife be less mad at me for buying the old beauty. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	765362  

Last edited by Last First Gen; 02-07-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Posting Photo
Last First Gen is offline  
post #92 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Diesel Freak
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 913
Thanks: 110
Thanked 140 Times in 119 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Beautiful truck!
LMC has the adjusters for the headlight if the local parts store does.
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
I'd unhook the battery if the truck sits for days till you fifure that one out
the lights pulsing is normal in the cold weather while the grid heaters cycle until the truck warms up...is yours doing it longer?
I might have a spare set of factory wiper arms. Let me know and I'll check.
and beautiful truck!
and these trucks usually get pretty good milage

'81 D150
Blue Goose is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Goose For This Useful Post:
Last First Gen (02-07-2018)
post #93 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Cummins Fan
 
Tmtbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 96
Thanks: 11
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Disconnect the negative cable from your battery. Take a test light and go between the negative post and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until it goes out. That's your current draw. Most cars have a little draw so the light will be really dim under normal circumstances but something that drains a battery in a couple days will have that test light burning bright


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thrashingcows likes this.
Tmtbob is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmtbob For This Useful Post:
Last First Gen (02-07-2018), thrashingcows (02-07-2018)
post #94 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Brashanic_im's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 209
Thanks: 54
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last First Gen View Post
Hey all, I bought a 93 W250 Cummins a little over a year ago and have been running into some problems with it... I only recently started having the money to get it into the shape she deserves to be in. She's got a fairly new paint job (bright red), 4" body lift and stock pretty much everything else.
What I've done to it
So far, I've had to replace my turbo - not upgraded, just new. Alternator and battery (interstate 800 CCA). I saw some brake dust on my front right wheel the other day to find out I now need to replace my rotors and brakes (ordered from RockAuto and are in shipping ATM). I've also replaced my ignition lock cylinder, and ignition switch.
Problems I'm having
-I am having an electrical problem that is giving me (and the wife) a serious headache, where the old girl is draining battery while it's off. I can't leave it for more than two days without needing a jump. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is draining it. I know I have a short in my horn (it blows the fuse when I hit the horn) but I am nervous to take apart the steering column to find out what it is.
-My wiper arms are going limp (when I drive over 50, they are not fully seated on the windshield anymore) and no one has OEM replacements for them.
-My headlight socket has a broken plastic adjuster clip and I cant seem to find a new one so she doesn't look like she has a lazy eye anymore.
-My electrical system pulses (brightens and dims)
-Whenever I use my dash or headlights, the buzzer goes off - even when the engine's running.
What I want to do to it
-I desperately want to get rid of my stock exhaust system (it was designed horribly) and so it sounds better.
-I would love to get more HP out of her, but I don't want my MPG to get any worse than it already is.
-I want to change my body lift to a suspension lift
-Clean up the interior (new door panels, door seals, carpet, roof liner, etc.)

If anyone has an answer to the problems I've been having, please share! It would help the wife be less mad at me for buying the old beauty. Thanks all!
when mine was draining the battery it was because the glove box light was staying on while closed.
thrashingcows likes this.

1993 W350 4x4 DRW Manual daily driver

2012 3500 H.O. Laraime 4X4 DRW Auto
Brashanic_im is offline  
post #95 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
Last First Gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brashanic_im View Post
when mine was draining the battery it was because the glove box light was staying on while closed.
I've never even opened the thing lol, i'll give it a look!
Last First Gen is offline  
post #96 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Newbie
 
Last First Gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmtbob View Post
Disconnect the negative cable from your battery. Take a test light and go between the negative post and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until it goes out. That's your current draw. Most cars have a little draw so the light will be really dim under normal circumstances but something that drains a battery in a couple days will have that test light burning bright


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dumb question but is a test light the same as an multi-meter?
Last First Gen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome