Looking to buy a 1st gen / just bought a 1st gen? READ THIS - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Great Forum!

I am looking at a clean 92' W350 4x4 srw.. It is 49er's colored. Very well maintained and recent transmission rebuild. 130k mi.

What do you guys think? Ballpark reasonable price to pay?

Thanks!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 PM

I'm offering $9000. That is $3500 for the Boss Vplow and $5500 for the truck. It has no leaks. Maintained really well.

I'm hoping I'll get it and then be posting on the what I did to my 1st gen thread...
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Diesel Freak

good luck and welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
good luck and welcome!
Thanks, I've learned so much just lurking here for a week or so.

No opinions on the truck? With the research I've done, it seems like I could be getting a really good deal even though blue book tells me otherwise. Pricing on 1st gens seems like an anomaly in the auto market... In the end, a good deal is a state of mind. I was just hoping for some assurance and ideas of what others may expect to pay for a truck like this. I almost feel like it is one of those rare survivors that could be worth a bit more. Then again, it is a 23 year old truck.
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Diesel Freak

well as far as my opinion, I'm new to the Cummins (haven't even got mine yet), but I've had a D or W gasser series forever.
It looks like a really clean truck, how is it in person? I always heard that plows are really hard on the drivelines. Rebuilt trans, hows the rest seem?
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:39 AM

The inside is about as clean as the outside... Red interior, not even any rips in the seat.

Luckily I've had a chance to plow with this truck a few times and know the owner. He greases religiously and is a bush pilot/mechanic himself. The steering isn't tight, but I'd imagine it wasn't ever very tight. He did the u joints recently too. The thing is, this truck doesn't do much work if it isn't snowing. He just starts it and lets it run to keep it from sitting cold. In the summer it is kept in a barn.

I actually have more faith in that truck starting up every time than most that are a decade or two newer. So I know the truck fairly well and have spent good time in it. What I am not as familiar with, now that I'm buying it, is what I should actually pay for a truck like this. I've bought used before, but nothing vintage like this.
post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingSnow View Post
The inside is about as clean as the outside... Red interior, not even any rips in the seat.

Luckily I've had a chance to plow with this truck a few times and know the owner. He greases religiously and is a bush pilot/mechanic himself. The steering isn't tight, but I'd imagine it wasn't ever very tight. He did the u joints recently too. The thing is, this truck doesn't do much work if it isn't snowing. He just starts it and lets it run to keep it from sitting cold. In the summer it is kept in a barn.

I actually have more faith in that truck starting up every time than most that are a decade or two newer. So I know the truck fairly well and have spent good time in it. What I am not as familiar with, now that I'm buying it, is what I should actually pay for a truck like this. I've bought used before, but nothing vintage like this.

sorry I didn't chime in earlier today, but Ive been really busy. That looks like a really solid truck and the price is definitely good. Buying a plow truck would make me a bit uneasy in regards to front end components and frame stuff, but Im from Southern California so the whole snow plow thing itself is a bit foreign to me haha
Everything else seems to check out though on the truck, especially the fact that it has a current owner that cares for it and does regular maintenance.

also, I can assure you though that even brand spanking new the steering on these trucks isnt exactly tight and responsive, so don't let that stop you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the response, too.

Plow trucks do get used, but when used correctly they hold up ok. I've seen a few newer trucks break frames on curbs, but usually the plow is the weak point. I suppose if it was driven everyday with the blade on it that could wear on the suspension.

I'm going to continue using it as a plow truck too, so really its life won't be much different.

More eye candy... the other side.
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Did you end up buying the truck?
post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 PM

Yes, I did!!!

I am loving her. Was a busy and stressful few days as it snowed right as I was getting the title and commercial insurance.

Actually spent a lot of the day diagnosing the plow today. I think the motor went. I replaced the solenoid and checked all of the connections. It gets used so it doesn't surprise me. The plow motor is like a starter that can run continuously. The guy that sold me the truck is bringing one tomorrow, so hopefully that is it.

The DMV tried to get me to re register it as a commercial vehicle. I went around and around with them for almost an hour and eventually got my title and kept the same registration. People are getting stupid out there, watch out.

The cummins fires up almost instantly even at near zero like it was last night. I plug it in just to baby it, but I don't think I need to. The tranny shifts really deliberate and strong. It is pretty fresh. I know I will wear it out sooner or later, but I go really easy on it. I already discovered I want an exhaust brake for coming down the mountain.

Funny, going up the mountain to do a job yesterday the engine didn't even seem like it had to work. It just climbs like a horse.

Is it even worth getting an alignment done on this baby?
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Diesel Freak

congrats!........
post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Congrats on the new truck then!!

Glad to hear you're liking it so far. Trans thing is perfectly normal, I know my G360 doesn't like quick shifts at all. Slow and deliberate is the only way, especially when its cold. Way different from other manuals Ive driven, even my friends 3rd gen with a g56.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode