Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   89-93 Non-Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/)
-   -   1st Gen to 2nd Gen frame swap question (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/1189769-1st-gen-2nd-gen-frame-swap-question.html)

flyingcrodeo 06-26-2014 06:45 PM

1st Gen to 2nd Gen frame swap question

Ok i'm in the middle of a full frame off resto on my 92 RCLB SRW W250 and had a thought, how cool would it be to have a coil spring front axle under it? I'm at the point now where the truck is completely stripped down to bare metal on all the panels and cab and frame is bare and on jack stands fixin to get finished up with minor boxing and shipped off the sand blaster and powder coating (been working on truck for 2 years now slow process) but i was thinking how hard would it be to use a 2nd gen frame and mount the 1st gen body to it? that way i could have coil spring 4 link front end under it which would be kinda unique? i'm already puting in a p-pumped 24v with a newer auto and built axles so the coil front would add to uniqueness.

How hard would this be? I know i'd have to make new cab and bed mounts but is it any longer or wider? And also i know alot of people dont like the 2nd gen front ends and they suck but i'll fully building everything and its not going to be a daily driver just a toy that stay in my shop kinda deal.

country_hick 06-26-2014 07:21 PM

The 1972-1993 club cab has a 149" wheelbase.

The 1994-1997 club cab has a 154.7" wheelbase.

I see fitment issues.

mknittle 06-26-2014 08:27 PM

Wheelbase is easy to shorten but lengthening takes a bit more effort to get nice and straight.

thrashingcows 06-27-2014 02:22 AM

I have come across a couple projects that got started putting a2nd gen front end under a 1st gen. But I can not recall ever seeing one finished.

I think you would have a lot of issues...motor would probably be set back too much. So would either have to redo the front cross member, or notch the cab firewall?

Then there is the inner fenders...I would think they would have to be heavily modified to clear that col over front suspension.

That is just off the top of my head. Sure once you got into the nitty gritty a lot more issues would arise.

Philip 06-27-2014 07:53 AM

Before stepping into that mess. Check with the OHP and find out what type of problems you will get into on title. The 2nd gen frame would have different VIN from the cab. Most states have laws covering that problem. Cab VIN and frame VIN's must match. Find out if OK has a assembled motor vehicle provision in the laws.

I went threw this a while back when I changed my cab.

mknittle 06-27-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip (Post 13326313)
Before stepping into that mess. Check with the OHP and find out what type of problems you will get into on title. The 2nd gen frame would have different VIN from the cab. Most states have laws covering that problem. Cab VIN and frame VIN's must match. Find out if OK has a assembled motor vehicle provision in the laws.

Yeah really, the mechanical is easy compared to the DMV!:buttkick:

redneck733 06-27-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip (Post 13326313)

The short answer is yes. Its called a change of body

mknittle 06-27-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck733 (Post 13328529)
The short answer is yes. Its called a change of body

Pretty much the same here you need a title for the frame and for the body.

revemup15 06-27-2014 03:02 PM

Sounds like a lot of work for a worse suspension design

93cummins4x4 06-29-2014 04:40 AM

why not just 4 link your 1st gen frame and dana 60? you would have a better axle than a second gen and have a much nicer 4 link set up than the junk factory set up.

mknittle 06-29-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93cummins4x4 (Post 13357865)
why not just 4 link your 1st gen frame and dana 60? you would have a better axle than a second gen and have a much nicer 4 link set up than the junk factory set up.

Less work too.:agree2: