Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   6.7L Tech Articles (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/)
-   -   EGR Delete Instructions W\pics (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/47096-egr-delete-instructions-w-pics.html)

Dieselgoose 05-01-2008 10:48 AM

If your talking about codes yes you will still get them. I think he was talking about the fuel knock associated with deleting the EGR. It is now gone with the AX

Bando 05-01-2008 11:47 AM

After reading ALL of this, I have one simple question:

With the DPF delete, wouldn't the EGR just be a useless piece of equipment that just sits there and does nothing? I mean, the EGR's sole purpose is to burn off the DPF right, so if the ECM thinks that the DPF is always 0% full, why would the ECM ever activate, or use in any way, the EGR?

Dieselgoose 05-01-2008 11:52 AM

Take off your EGR pipe one day and look inside it and in the intake horn. You will want it off even if it isnt working!!! Pretty gross. I dont know how that thing all works but I think it comes on more than just for regen to raise temps. I may be wrong though.

Shibbyutman 05-01-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bando (Post 606304)
With the DPF delete, wouldn't the EGR just be a useless piece of equipment that just sits there and does nothing? I mean, the EGR's sole purpose is to burn off the DPF right, so if the ECM thinks that the DPF is always 0% full, why would the ECM ever activate, or use in any way, the EGR?

The sole purpose of the EGR system is to cool combustion and prevent the formation of NOx gases in the exhaust. The EGR is totally inactive during regen.

Bando 05-01-2008 12:13 PM

Ah. So The factual benefits of the EGR delete would simply be lower EGTs and an internally cleaner engine, and the disputable benefits would be power increase and MPG increase...

MattTN23 05-01-2008 01:08 PM

Exactly..... By blocking off the EGR you are keeping the motor from pumping soot back through itself, which will help with fuel economy because the combustions chamber will have more oxygen rich air to help burn the fuel more efficiently..

porkchop2245 05-01-2008 01:37 PM

o ok well i dont have the fuel knock but im getting all those codes and the etc light and surging too

Dieselgoose 05-01-2008 05:22 PM

I think the Edge with Attitude or the PMT as soon as they get the code clear option are a must for this right now if your doing it.

Bando 05-01-2008 05:52 PM

From what you said Shibbyutman, the egr system actually lowers the internal combustion temperatures, but haven't I read that a lot of people are experiencing lower EGTs with the EGR system deleted:confused:

Looped82 05-02-2008 12:58 PM

Actully!

your EGR is there so that the engine wont have to use as much fuel to run, there is less oxygen to fuel so the ecm doesnt put out as much fuel. your egr is constantly running even at idle. The egr runs in percentage, the less load on the engine, the more egr. SO deleteing the egr would actually hurt your fuel economy. With the egr disconneted the egine will run allmost normal, except that it will be shy on fuel becuase the 6.7 injectors are made for emissions and fuel economy. but with the egr deleted and still connected then the engine will be trying to run the egr, thus adding less fuel.

cuminz 05-02-2008 06:01 PM

egr delete

with my dpf already removed , when i removed the egr, I had noticed that my egts ran approx 300 degrees cooler ?

SkinInc69 05-02-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuminz (Post 608787)
with my dpf already removed , when i removed the egr, I had noticed that my egts ran approx 300 degrees cooler ?

Its unreal how much these 6.7s drop there egts from the egr delete. Its a must for long haulers. JMO