Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   6.7L Tech Articles (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/)
-   -   68RFE is OUT! NV5600 is IN!!! (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/319684-68rfe-out-nv5600.html)

Nightrain 07-09-2010 08:25 PM

68RFE is OUT! NV5600 is IN!!!

2 Attachment(s)
No more clinching teeth under WOT wondering if the 68 is gonna hold! I blew mine out pulling a 48' enclosed. Converter couldnt take it anymore. I priced out the aftermarket 68's and I had to be revived with 220v after I heard the prices! I have a little over $5,000 in this conversion...

Parts list:

NV5600 transmission
NV5600 shifter
Lower rubber shifter boot
Upper shifter boot
Uinta stainless shifter knob (optional)
NV transmission mount
NV transmission bracket (goes between mount and transmission)
Southbend dual disc 3250lb for a 2004 dodge (flywheel to clutch fork)
Southbend .750 hydraulics (slave and master)
Volair .580 crank spacer
2004 crossmember that was NV equipped
Rear driveshaft had to be shortened 4.250"
Front driveshaft had to be lengthened 4.250"
Clutch pedal out of a 2003-2009, they are all the same even the 1/2 tons
Clutch pedal pin and e-clips
Master cylinder plastic pin

The reason you have to use the Volair .580 crank spacer is because it spaces out the flywheel so the input shaft goes into both discs and spaces out the ring gear perfectly for the starter. This is ONLY if you use a standard NV flywheel in conjuntion with the G56/68RFE flywheel housing (they are the same)

The hole in the firewall is already there for the master, a studded plastic cover is there that needs to be removed (two 15mm nuts on the inside). The boss for the clutch pedal is already there waiting to get violated. The only cutting involved was for the shifter and the outline is already there, even the heat sheild from under the truck is pre cut. Pretty much a bolt on swap.

I did have to trace down the P/N wire which is under the TPIM. You have to cut this wire then from the TPIM run it to one side of the clutch interlock switch and ground the other side. Wire is yellow with a blue tracer, I will post a pic tomorrow.

I have two more wiring projects to go: 4WL looks for a ground off the clutch interlock switch to engage 4WL, 4WH works great. I have found the wire but have not ran it yet. And the reverse lights, I have the switch already in the tranny and waiting on a pigtail plug to get here from the dodge house.

So far I have driven the truck about 50 miles or so and is doing great! Speedo works (signal off the rear), exhaust brake works even better now and the cruise control works like it should.

I know there is more but I need to get home for dinner.

MoparProud 07-09-2010 09:12 PM

Sweet. I keep threatening to ditch the 48 for an NV5600. But the auto is so fun...

I still say the 5600 is the best trans ever put in a pickup. I can't think of any other I'd rather have...

Nightrain 07-09-2010 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Need to throw out some thanks...

Big thanks to Peter at Southbend clutch, and the boys at H&S.

You do need a proprammer so you can write a manual file on the ECM. I have the Black Maxx and Casey walked me through the steps while I was in the truck. No need to use the SD card the boys at H&S will walk you through the steps while you sit in the driver's seat. I dont know how the XRT or Smarty will throw a manual file on the ECM, I am guessing you will have to do it over the internet.

Just got done driving the truck again and I freakin love it!!

jgage916 07-09-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightrain (Post 3146552)
Need to throw out some thanks...

Big thanks to Peter at Southbend clutch, and the boys at H&S.

You do need a proprammer so you can write a manual file on the ECM. I have the Black Maxx and Casey walked me through the steps while I was in the truck. No need to use the SD card the boys at H&S will walk you through the steps while you sit in the driver's seat. I dont know how the XRT or Smarty will throw a manual file on the ECM, I am guessing you will have to do it over the internet.

Just got done driving the truck again and I freakin love it!!

Damn, the 6.7 and the NV5600, its official, you have made my mind up on my next truck! It will be a while but when mine gets retired to farm truck status, my new ride will be a 07-09 Dodge 5500 C&C flatbed, and the best part of all, you have satisfied my curiosity, i had been wondering what it would take to get the 5600 in there! I gotta say im jealous man, it sounds like you did a good job:thumbsup:

Nightrain 07-10-2010 10:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of the wire you need to tap into so the truck will start. If you do not want to run this wire to the interlock switch you can just gound it close by but I chose to run it to the interlock switch because I am still getting use to the new set up plus I dont wont to chance starting in gear.

Run this wire to one side of the interlock switch thats on the master cylinder.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/008-7.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/007-5.jpg

This is the block off plate for the master and the left overs from cutting out the shifter hole.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/010-9.jpg

This pops out for the upper shifter boot. The boot pops right into place.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/003-5.jpg

Shift knob...

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/002-4.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...inSS/005-7.jpg

bondkx01 07-10-2010 12:28 PM

can the nv5600 really hold that much hp and trq then the 68re? Whats the max hp and trq the nv5600 can hold these days with current clutchs avail?

This is an interesting conversion and cost savings over the alternative but wondering if in the end the 5600 is stronger then a well built 68rfe (money aside).

Nightrain 07-11-2010 08:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazeeun (Post 3148264)
Where did you get this knob from and where can I get one from? :drool2:

Weighted Shift Knobs

:thumbsup:

Nightrain 07-11-2010 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks (Post 3148379)
Thanks for posting up pics of the interior of the truck with the straight NV5600 shifter in it. Looking at those pics makes me now know that there really is no need for the bend in the shifter that the G56 has. I don't know why the bend in the shifter bothers me so much but it does.

Scott

No problem. No need for the bend it clears everything fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moulder (Post 3148694)
What interior peices would I have to get if I had bucket seats and the center console?

Do you have the fold down cup holders?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcopp (Post 3149034)
Could you add some info on where you got all your parts from

Southbend 3250lb clutch for a NV (hyd included) - Rollin Smoke Diesel
NV5600 Transmission - Blumenthal's in OK City
.580 crank spacer - Volair
Upper and lower shift boots, column bezels and trans mount - Dodge house.
Shifter, clutch pedal, and crossmember - Local salvage yard
Shift knob - Uinta Diesel

When ordering the crank spacer make sure you tell the guys at Volair what clutch you are running (dual disc or single and brand) because the crank bolts will vary. When I got mine the bolts were to long for the dual disc set up. Stick a bolt through the flywheel and the spacer and make sure no more than .800" is sticking out.

Ten_Bucks 07-12-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightrain (Post 3152571)
When H&S told my how to program the manual file the PRNDL turned off. The clusters are the same for manuals and autos

Again, thanks for the info. Good to know that the cluster display turns off when the manual file is loaded.

Scott

Moulder 07-12-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightrain (Post 3152591)
Wow, you got the pimp daddy console.

You may have to switch to what I have. The center console/middle seat is attached to both buckets in my truck. If you have a buddy that has the style i have, I would study it. I am willing to bet alot of that stuff if not all of it would interchange.

What happenned to your auto?

Toasted it with my xrt :doh:. This is my first Cummins (always had 7.3 powerstrokes) and got a little too happy with the go pedal. If I could find the correct flywheel housing (common rail to sae 2) I would consider running an eaton fso 6spd. They are a beefy trans and cheaper to rebuild than a 5600. Plus you can get a 14" dual disk from valiar (sp?) and from what I hear could possible be a better clutch than what is in a dodge. I already have an eaton fs, so all I need to do is swap out for the overdive gear and then have an almost identical overdrive ratio as the 56. If I could find the housing I needed I also have a 6.7 that I bought for a Cummins conversion that I could use for mock up and then maybe i could have the adapter made for the transfer case where i wouldn't have to shorten or lengthen driveshafts. That way if I wanted to go back to the auto for some reason it would be an easy swap back.

Nightrain 07-16-2010 02:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moulder (Post 3154030)
Toasted it with my xrt :doh:. This is my first Cummins (always had 7.3 powerstrokes) and got a little too happy with the go pedal. If I could find the correct flywheel housing (common rail to sae 2) I would consider running an eaton fso 6spd. They are a beefy trans and cheaper to rebuild than a 5600. Plus you can get a 14" dual disk from valiar (sp?) and from what I hear could possible be a better clutch than what is in a dodge. I already have an eaton fs, so all I need to do is swap out for the overdive gear and then have an almost identical overdrive ratio as the 56. If I could find the housing I needed I also have a 6.7 that I bought for a Cummins conversion that I could use for mock up and then maybe i could have the adapter made for the transfer case where i wouldn't have to shorten or lengthen driveshafts. That way if I wanted to go back to the auto for some reason it would be an easy swap back.

How much are the eaton 6 spds? I have several friends that are putting 800+ rwhp through these nv5600 and livin! One in particular has over 400,000miles on his factory nv5600. If you plan on making sick power that eaton sounds like the route.

Moulder 07-16-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightrain (Post 3164770)
How much are the eaton 6 spds? I have several friends that are putting 800+ rwhp through these nv5600 and livin! One in particular has over 400,000miles on his factory nv5600. If you plan on making sick power that eaton sounds like the route.

Here is some information to look into: these transmissions are from medium duty trucks.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ed-fuller.html

NV5600 CONVERSION

I just haven't been able to find the correct flywheel housing for a common rail, as most applications use the rear mounted gear train with a rear mounted Cp3 pump. The housings for a 12v or 24v can be found pretty easily but the common rail uses an o-ring to seal off the cam tunnel that the others don't. There might be other differences in the housing that I don't know about as well.